SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-17, 01:11 PM   #1
svshaz

Default Pointy charging issue

Hi Guys, hope you can help!

I have an SV650k9 which i was recently riding back from a friends garage where it had been stored a few months. The bike started fine, (although i did recharge the battery a few days before, as that time it wouldn't start). The bike was ticking over fine, blipping throttle fine, running about 10 mins before setting off. Set off down street, all's good. After about a mile, applying throttle, engine starts to 'bog', then recover, then 'bog' again, gradually getting worse. I notice at this point the clocks were going on and off too (don't know about lights). Pull clutch in and bike ticks over ok to start with before dying altogether and display flashing like a christmas tree. Turn ignition off/on, clocks now ok but bike not turning over. Damn it - flat battery. Luckily friend helped to push the bike home - about half mile up 1 in 4 hill, phew!

Anyway, i treated it to a new battery thinking mine was duff (fully charged before fitting), and bike started first go. Then i decided to do some more checks:

Battery leak test between -ve and -ve cable: 0.00mAmps.
Battery voltage at start: 12.88v
Start bike: 12.34v
Fast idle (2000rpm) battery dropping about 0.1v per minute.
Normal idle (1200rpm) battery dropping about 0.01v per minute.
Blip throttle (4-5000rpm) battery dropped 0.3v each time.
Battery now at 11.8v.
Switch kill switch and ignition off battery voltage recovered about 0.1v per minute, and after ~ 10 mins, battery at 12.6v. Hmm.
More tests...charge battery again first.
Stator plug pins: 65vAC between each pair @ 5000rpm.
Stator plug resistance: 0.4 ohms between each pair.
Stator plug to ground: Infinity on each pin.
R/R Diode test next...
Black red/black white: 0.909
Black red/each black wire: 0.521, 0.522, 0.520.
Black white/ each black wire: 0.519, 0.521, 0.518.
Tester shows '1.' if i reverse the probes on each test.

I've checked the earth cable at the rear of the engine, and the connector from the loom, both ok. All fuses, starter relay connections good/clean. All connectors so far good/ clean. All wiring looks good.
So...are these checks good or bad and where next?
Old 22-01-17, 01:24 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy charging issue

sounds like the exact problem i had last year. traced it down to a furred up connector for the rec/reg to the loom which is located beside the right hand coil on the frame at the front cylinder area. a good clean of the terminals and some ACF-50 and its was perfect after.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 06:27 PM   #3
svshaz

Thanks Bib. I've checked the offending connector - all good. (Bit of a p*g to get to the reg/rec).
Just in case I've missed it, there's no electrical mods (never even needed to change a bulb!). Gonna check the connectors near the headstock when I get chance. Could the 'green connector' there cause a charging issue tho' ?
Old 23-01-17, 12:11 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Who's going to be the first to say it?

Go on then .............. the reg/rec has probably died. Not unusual. They can die in 2 ways, either as you have with low voltage (and no battery charging) or with excessively high voltage and frying the battery.
Old 23-01-17, 01:18 PM   #5
glang

Agreed its probably your R/R as even though its tested ok if you look at the attached diagram you can see that theres no easy way to test the voltage control thyristors. These work hard dumping the excess power so getting hot and likely to fail.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002_14.jpg (114.3 KB, 0 views)
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-17, 03:58 PM   #6
svshaz

Thanks for the replies. I did suspect the reg/rec but couldn't understand why it seemed to test ok, and it doesn't look in any way damaged or burnt connectors, also I've had previous experience on a bike of melted connectors from high voltage, but not of low voltage 'failure', so I guess I was kind of looking for tell tale burning signs.
I'll start looking for replacement...
Old 23-01-17, 04:30 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

TBH its rare that a K9 has rec/reg faults. its also rare that the green connector burns out.. i would start looking elsewhere.

do you have an alarm fitted?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 12:24 PM   #8
svshaz

No alarms or any other electrical mods.
Old 25-01-17, 03:50 PM   #9
glang

I think if youve proved theres AC voltage supplied to the r/r and theres not a decent DC voltage coming out its got to be dead. Know any other SV owner who would very kindly let you test the system with their r/r?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 05:11 PM   #10
nutzboutbikes

Reg/Rec.