SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-18, 06:58 PM   #1
egcSV650s

Default Rough Running

My bikes a 2005 sv650 injection and its been running really rough and jerky anything below 5000rpm. Ive done the TPS adjustment but hasnt helped. I checked and cleaned the air filter but again hasnt helped. Im going away travelling europe next week and want it running nice. Anything over 5000rpm is fine runs lovely but anything below its horrible, especially when going round a roundabout and its jerking all the time. Not sure what else i can do or look out for. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 07:06 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rough Running

When did it start running rough? Just recently?

Could be a few things, try checking these:

- throttles need a sync?
- are any of the airbox / inlet stub clamps loose and needing a tighten?
- are the little rubber caps on the throttle bodies all fitted and not cracked / perished?
- spark plugs loose?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 07:55 PM   #3
egcSV650s

Its been like this for a while but getting worse. The clamps are all tight I checked those i will check the throttle body rubber caps. I noticed when i done my front cylinder spark plug up recently, i screwed it on hand tight then a 1/4 of a turn but still felt really loose but didnt do any more as didnt want to over tighten, should i do it up a bit tighter? How do you sync the throttle bodies? Is it a hard job
Old 11-05-18, 06:58 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

How old are the spark plugs? Are they gapped at 0.7 - 0.8mm? If you don't know how old they are, I would replace them. Hand tighten first (using the plug spanner in the tool kit and your fingers), then no more than 1/8 of a turn after hand tight to just 'nip' it up.

Syncing the throttle bodies needs a set of vacuum gauges, if you don't have access to a set then it's a dealer job.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 07:49 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

It's not a hard job to balance the bodies if you have a decent tool for the job.I think most places charge around £120+ for the job.

I've had a set of Carbtune2 Balancers for around 15 years and they are still like new and have served me well.They don't contain any fluids so are clean,safe and pretty easy to use.

At around half the cost of what I garage would charge well worth having IMHO.

I bought the 4 cylinder version and have done Twins/Triples and Fours with them.

https://www.carbtune.com/carbcust.html

https://www.carbtune.com/index.html

The trick with Carb balancing is to adjust and flick the throttle and let them settle and re-adjust.Rinse and repeat until you get them exactly level no matter how long it takes.Once level and you can tighten the adjuster lock-nut a dab of Blue thread-lock on it and you may never have to touch them again for thousands of miles.Mine were out when I got my Curvy and once brought back in all,"Tinglies" went from the Handlebars as there's next to no vibrations from the engine

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-05-18 at 09:02 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 10:39 AM   #6
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
How old are the spark plugs? Are they gapped at 0.7 - 0.8mm? If you don't know how old they are, I would replace them. Hand tighten first (using the plug spanner in the tool kit and your fingers), then no more than 1/8 of a turn after hand tight to just 'nip' it up.

Syncing the throttle bodies needs a set of vacuum gauges, if you don't have access to a set then it's a dealer job.
Spark plugs are 2 years old, when i got the bike done a full service replacing everything. Ill undo them and check the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
It's not a hard job to balance the bodies if you have a decent tool for the job.I think most places charge around £120+ for the job.

I've had a set of Carbtune2 Balancers for around 15 years and they are still like new and have served me well.They don't contain any fluids so are clean,safe and pretty easy to use.

At around half the cost of what I garage would charge well worth having IMHO.

I bought the 4 cylinder version and have done Twins/Triples and Fours with them.

https://www.carbtune.com/carbcust.html

https://www.carbtune.com/index.html

The trick with Carb balancing is to adjust and flick the throttle and let them settle.Rinse and repeat until you get them exactly level no matter how long it takes.Once level and you can tighten the adjuster lock-nut a dab of Blue thread-lock on it and you may never have to touch them again for thousands of miles.Mine were out when I got my Curvy and once brought back in all,"Tinglies" went from the Handlebars as there's next to no vibrations from the engine
Oh right thats great, thank you will purchase a set of those, saves the money plus ive got it for any other bikes i get seems quite straight forward
Old 12-05-18, 10:46 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Buy the full kit including the case as it keeps all the tubes/restrictors and device etc safe.My Carbtune2 has paid for itself many times over years by keeping the engines smooth and virtually vibration free plus great full power and MPG.

I've done well over 200 miles in a day with zero hand fatigue
Old 12-05-18, 08:26 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Agree with R1ff, carbtune well worth investing in. I had the original mercury filled ones and remember filling the reservoir with the mercury in my bedroom.

I now have the same ones as R1ff, much safer
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 09:00 PM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Agree with R1ff, carbtune well worth investing in. I had the original mercury filled ones and remember filling the reservoir with the mercury in my bedroom.

I now have the same ones as R1ff, much safer
Plus they can be stripped and serviced unlike most other Fuel Balancers

Also John Morgan will actually reply to any email questions and is a great bloke with loads of knowledge about fuel delivery
Old 13-05-18, 08:57 AM   #10
egcSV650s

Yeah im going to get the full kit, ill probably get it when im back from travelling europe as i wont have time to do it before. Thank you for your help