SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-18, 03:32 PM   #1
ClunkintheUK

Default oil not draining

So as part of getting the old girl back on the road, I checked the oil level, and couldn't see any in the window (weird, i'd just filled it recently). I topped it up, maybe 1/2 litre, but still couldn't see anything. Ok, lets take it all out and start again.

I took the sump plug out, and the filter off, and some came out but it wasn't exactly forthcoming. I've left it overnight, but when looking through the oil filler hole, there still seems to be some in the clutch area. Poking a clean finger in (stop laughing at the back) there is oil to the first knuckle.

Is this to be expected? or could I have a blockage somewhere preventing like a litre of oil from draining?

No oil would have explained the severity of the clutch issue I was having previously. But I have no idea where it would have gone. There is no oily patch on the garage floor, and the exhaust has been clean on start up.
My next step was to fill with 2300ml of oil and see where its at.
Old 31-05-18, 05:04 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: oil not draining

sounds like the last time you had it on the road you have run it dry..

it would have to be either sludge for oil or a huge bit of something not to let oil drain.

it takes 5 seconds to check oil level before a ride.....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 03:00 PM   #3
ClunkintheUK

It was run dry last time on the road. That's why its been off the road for 2 years (that and getting married. and having kids).

I replaced the oil as part of the rebuild and subsequent troubleshooting like 4 times, Including new about 2 months ago (barely been run since) hence my concern about where the smeg its all gone. I'll re-fill and see what happens.
Old 01-06-18, 04:56 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

no offence but you are putting 2.3ltr in and not 230ml? one 5ltr oil can should do 2 oil changes with top ups.

1.3ish ltr is a lot of oil consumption if its barely been run. my guess is that its pizzing out the exhaust valves and lying in the exhaust.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 12:16 PM   #5
ClunkintheUK

Thanks Bibs. Yep, 2.3l, 2300ml (as it says on the side) I left it draining for about 3 days. Came back and the window looked clear by darker (I realise now, it still had enough oil in that part of the engine to fill the window) I put 2.3l in, and obviously no clutchy clutchy. engine stopped as soon as I put it in gear. looking into the window at this point it was a bit cloudy, so I realized that there was oil past the window. I opened up the sump and watched in drain maybe there was a litre in total over 20/30 mins, but was a trickle for a lot of that, I watched the window, but never saw the top of the oil. By the time I bored waiting, I started it up again briefly, watching the window, I could see bubbles coming through the oil.

There is definitely something blocking the oil flow down there. Current thought is to leave it draining overnight, then dismantle the auxiliary parts (clutch, water pump, etc) and hope that whatever is messed u is easily accessible.
Old 03-06-18, 12:54 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Just a thought--------Are you sure you are trying to drain it via the correct sump plug hole? there is at least one other bolt stuck in the bottom of the sv engine that is not the sump plug??????
Old 03-06-18, 01:07 PM   #7
ClunkintheUK

Oh for pete's sake. That is quite possible. I've been un doing the 12mm bolt down there.
Old 03-06-18, 01:53 PM   #8
ClunkintheUK

Yep. I've been a tool. Dunno how I missed that, i've successfully done like 3 years worth of oil changes before this. Drained like 3 litres out. Will turn on a test when I am not likely to wake my toddler.
Old 03-06-18, 01:54 PM   #9
ClunkintheUK

yeah, got the level back. cheers for helping such a noob mistake.
Old 03-06-18, 01:56 PM   #10
ClunkintheUK

Perfect timing though. Missed my MOT slot. Gonna be another week probably.