SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-10-08, 09:44 PM   #1
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default DOggy help

OK ya all know I have a bad shoulder due to my off, and ya all know I have a mad springer spaniel, Samson.

I am having major issues with Sam at the mo in relation to his behaviour since I had him castrated but one of his issues is his pullin on the lead. I have been to dog training classes, tried all sorts of collars, harnesses etc etc.

I was speaking to an ex dog handler at work the other day and he suggested this german pinch collar. It is meant to sit high on the neck, behind the dogs ears and if he pulls one small pull (not a tug) will make the prongs pinch his neck and he will immediately stop pulling. He also said an electric collar is good but if you do not send the electronic pulse at the right time then it is pointless.

Has anyone ever used one of these collars? Are they kind? They have no sharp points and what he said made sense when he explained how they work but Sam is my baby and I would not want to hurt him in any way. I used a check chain after the training people told me to but he choked himself rather than stop pulling so I got rid. HELPPP
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:48 PM   #2
SuzukiNess

Default Re: DOggy help

Shell,i dont know... i look at that and think its quite cruel... yet i spose others would say not. i have a rather stubborn basset and he tends to pull too. i pull him back once and say WAIT quite sternly and he is eventually responding and realising he shouldnt pull.

Good luck with samson, and hope u get him to stop the pulling. me, personally would not go down that hitler type collar.

Last edited by SuzukiNess; 11-10-08 at 09:53 PM. Reason: hic... cant spell
Old 11-10-08, 09:50 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

That collar looks fricken evil. Surely thats not the best solution to your problem.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:50 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

definately not to the collar, thats horrendous!

Halti collar, or canac gentle leader. and be stern with him. If I lived nearer I'd come and give you a hand with him

You have to remember hes a dog shell, I know hes your baby, but you have to be really stern with him, and hes still ver y young

Bob is my baby and has only just gone 2. You try teach a stafff whippet manners, who's built like a truck and runs like poo off a stick. As soon as his canac is over his face he's well behaved
Springers are bouncy working dogs, they need strong handling, and they need to be kept constantly occupied, of course you know all that cause you've been to training classes

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 11-10-08 at 09:53 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:51 PM   #5
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuZuKiBaBe View Post
Shell,i dont know... i look at that and think its quite cruel... yet i spose others would say not. i have a rather stubborn basset and i tends to pull too. i pull him back once and say WAIT quite sternly and he is eventually responding and realising he shouldnt pull.

Good luck with samson, and hope u get him to stop the pulling. me, personally would not go down that hitler type collar.
Problem is I have got the stern voice but no strength to pull hiim back. He has managed to pull a 6ft bloke down the road LOL he is 20kg if pure muscle low to the ground. But his pulling his hurting his throat and he coughs even when he is off the lead.

My colleague states that after one or two pinches they walk nicely and there is no pinching. He says he uses one on his dog and it causes no pain but I not convinced like you. But I have to get him to stop pulling else he is going to hurt his wind pipe. He makes some horrid heaving noises when he comes from a walk cause he has pulled too much.

Halti no goo, he just pulls and his head gets pulled back, he seems not to get this no pullling thing. I just worried he will hurt his spine one day. Are all Springers mad like this LOL

It loks to horrid don't it oh maybe I could chop a leg off LOL be more kind
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012

Last edited by Shellywoozle; 11-10-08 at 09:53 PM.
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:54 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
Problem is I have got the stern voice but no strength to pull hiim back.
But if he didnt pull you wouldnt need to be strong in order to pull him back.

Surely the pulling is a symptom of something else or behaviour he has leanred and thats what you need to fix.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 09:54 PM   #7
zsv650

it's a spaniel wear it out (theyre nutters i know)
Old 11-10-08, 09:55 PM   #8
SuzukiNess

have you tried the body harness thingy? would defo eleviate the hurting of his throat.
Old 11-10-08, 09:55 PM   #9
sarah

I have heard that the electric collars can be good but worth getting proper training to learn how to use them.
Old 11-10-08, 09:56 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Canac collar, the halti is slightly different in that the loop under his chin isn't fixed so it tightens a little more over the muzzle. The point is that instead of you controlling the dogs strong point(his neck) you control his face,,, whereever his face goes he goes, just like a horse in fact. Ahh isn't Bob lovely

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote