SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-12-08, 01:31 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Memory and Motivation

I'm having some problem with my memory and motivation, now I know that these could be signs of something else, in the past it was depression or rather anxiety in my case. They gave me tables and I worked through it, managing to come off them after a year or so. Still since coming off the tables my memory and motivation have suffered, so I know that zinc can help memory. Would it be possible that there is another imbalance in my chem's in my body that's causing these affects. It seems almost be getting worse each day, maybe there is something simple I could do to help improve it.
I've tried to sort my levels of fruit and veg, hopefully giving my body the vitamins that it needs though is there something else? I know I could take zinc tables, but at the moment that requires me to try to remember to buy them, put them in my bag and take them to london, then remember to take them in the first place. Some things I'm rather terrible at, so if someone said eating more 'something' would increase this it would mean its something that maybe I could get hold of easy and help in my diet too.
The motivation part I suspect is not just diet related, but also personal, infact I'm surprised I go to the gym at all at the moment as it appears to be the most effort I have made in something for a long time. Infact it requires constant pushing of myself, plus the little memory flash of those 'gill' photo's from the AR to give me that push. But I need this in more then just my gym time, it might be due to my tiredness which is a side affect of depression but also could me something missing in my life. I did think that the gym would give me more energy as I built up my stamina, but it still suffers.
All this could be due to the weeks I have, traveling to London every week, staying up there, and then not seeing my family till the weekend, and then just wanting to sleep. This could be a affect of the fact its winter, cold weather and my job taking the energy out of me, while not phyiscaly straining it does drain me mentally.

Cus my ramblings, but I'm just typing and thinking so it might be a bit mish mashed.
Old 08-12-08, 01:36 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Memory and Motivation

think you might have an attack of the fed ups
Seems theres an awful lot of folk feeling like this right now. I know a few saying they feel a bit S.A.D.

I'm feeling pretty much the same, but in my case its definetely accumulated stress which turned to full blown depression.

OR are you blonde too

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:40 PM   #3
Baph

The above does sadly read to me as if it's depression in it's early stages, possibly even Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka "winter blues").

It's easy to say "positive mental attitude" etc, but that rarely helps. It's usually best to catch the downward spiral early (as it sounds like you have). The big ringer for me is that you've been on tablets in the past, and coming off them makes the feelings worse (or is at least coincidental timing).

Personally I reckon the best approach is to repeat the above post to your GP. I would personally suggest you mention to the GP that you'd prefer to avoid anti-depressants (god awful things that have a number of side effects & are difficult to get off because of events like this very thread!). They could then refer you to a dietician etc from there. That would be the best person to advise positive/motivational foods.

Sadly, many studies have shown that those who have had depression in the past are at a greater risk of having it again - some even suggest depression/anxiety never leaves you once affected.

Good luck with it, and remember that for those really blue days, you always have the .Org.

Last edited by Baph; 08-12-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 01:40 PM   #4
Grinch

Well I'm worried its affecting my relationship, as it means I have no motivation at home and seem to forget everything I am told.
Well more the worried, it is... and I need to sort it now. I think its a doc's appointment next week, but I would like to do something for my self first. Might pop to boots later and see if the zinc tables help a bit.
The anti-anxiety tables have a nasty side-affect I would like to avoid.
Old 08-12-08, 01:42 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My memory goes to sh*te in two different cricumstances

1. I'm tired
2. I've got to much on my plate workwise. Which then leads to cr*ppy nights sleep see point 1 above.

I find in extreme circumstances I loose my motivation completely and the only thing I want to do is slob on the sofa and state blankly at the TV for hours and not move.

I know when I feel like that its got to bad and I need to do something about it. Which is namely

1. Clean my desk at work, clean all the crap off of it and have a clean desk.
2. I then write down a list of jobs that I need to do on my pad and then when somebody tries to give me something new to do. I write that down on my list and say, well your task isnt getting done until all these others are. The only time I'll change this is if the problem is order flow effecting as thats where our core priority is.

I find if I can fix the things at work that make me feel like this I'm more motivated to do stuff when I am at home and I am less likely to slob in front of the TV.

I think I suffer like you Grinch I get mentally drained and then I have no capcity for doing anythign else. I find the cycling I do helps as I dont think about things when I'm cycling I just pedal and everything kind of washes over me. If I've had a bad day by the time I get home I feel alot better.

Its difficult to deal with and even getting up off the sofa can be hard some days. Especially when all I feel like I want to do is to shut the world outside and withdraw into myself.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:42 PM   #6
carty

I wouldn't worry too much mate, everyone has their ups and downs. I am usually very motivated to go to the gym etc and all other stuff but I find myself making excuses not to go to the gym or other things at the moment. I put it down to coming back from holiday to this fricken cold weather and also carrying a bit of an injury. Work is a bit boring at the moment too so I just don't want to be here, but I don't want to be doing other things either. Plus my bike's still off the road following my trackday crash.

Lots of little things but they mount up. You'll pull through mate, it's probably just the time of year

Not sure what pill you're on about? Selenium maybe?
Old 08-12-08, 01:47 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Well I'm worried its affecting my relationship, as it means I have no motivation at home and seem to forget everything I am told.
Well more the worried, it is... and I need to sort it now. I think its a doc's appointment next week, but I would like to do something for my self first. Might pop to boots later and see if the zinc tables help a bit.
The anti-anxiety tables have a nasty side-affect I would like to avoid.
I'm not sure zinc supplements will help, i thought that zinc kept your immune system up, it doesn't affect your mood.
I can understand if it affects your relationship, lets just say , Im Indoors isn't the most sympathetic person, and it makes life awkward me being ill right now. Even though I'm DizzyB, there usually isin't muh wrong with my memory but at the moment its like a sieve, especially the short term one

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:56 PM   #8
Baph

The main benefit of zinc is that it helps the immune system. Having a cold whilst feeling crappy already certainly doesn't help.
Old 08-12-08, 02:02 PM   #9
pookie

You could try some homeopathic remedy like st johns wort. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/special_r...on/stjwort.htm I've not tried it but heard good things about it. Also for a more IT based approach how about Brain training on the nintendo ds /wii. Good excuse to a) buy yourself a gadget b) work out the ol grey matter
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 02:02 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

I wouldn`t in honesty suspect depression from those 2 symptoms. As others have said it could be more due to the time of year, stress, not getting enough sleep etc. Have you had your thyroid function checked recently? might be worth doing and would just involve a blood test.

Physical symptoms of depression would include:
  • Slowed movement or speech.
  • Change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased).
  • Constipation.
  • Unexplained aches and pains.
  • Lack of energy or lack of interest in sex.
  • Changes to the menstrual cycle.
  • Disturbed sleep patterns (for example, problems getting off to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning).
and psychological symptoms would be:
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
  • Low self-esteem.
  • Tearfulness.
  • Feelings of guilt.
  • Feeling irritable and intolerant of others.
  • Lack of motivation and less interest, and difficulty in making decisions.
  • Lack of enjoyment.
  • Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else.
  • Feeling anxious or worried.
  • Reduced sex drive
If you think after reading the above that it might be more than feeling "under the weather" then go see your GP. Some supplements that might help you feel a bit better might include...

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex removes free radicals and provides all necessary nutrients.

Acetylcholine helps prevent memory loss in adults.

Boron improves brain and memory function.

Garlic is a brain cell protector that may benefit age-related memory loss.

Lecithin improves memory.

Ginkgo increases blood flow to the brain, thus enhancing memory.

Vitamin B Complex needed for proper brain function.

Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids improves circulation.

Zinc plus Copper helps remove toxins from the brain and body. Copper is needed to work with zinc in very small doses. L-Tyrosine helps improve learning, memory and awareness and has mood enhancing affects.

Hope you feel better soon

Last edited by Speedy Claire; 08-12-08 at 04:16 PM.