SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-07, 10:57 AM   #1
New Leaf

Default Taz Motorcycles?

Anyone used Taz Motorcycles in Peterborough or heard anything about them?

They seem to be very cheap - almost too cheap infact. I was looking for a FZ1 Fazer and they have them for £6295. Thats nearly £1500 than the list price.

Is there something i should know about them? Do you reckon they are selling imports? and even if they are does that matter - they all have mph clocks etc.

Have a little look - they have some very cheap GSXRs too,

http://www.tazmotorcycles.co.uk/index.asp
Old 09-07-07, 11:03 AM   #2

Default Re: Taz Motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf View Post
Anyone used Taz Motorcycles in Peterborough or heard anything about them?

They seem to be very cheap - almost too cheap infact. I was looking for a FZ1 Fazer and they have them for £6295. Thats nearly £1500 than the list price.

Is there something i should know about them? Do you reckon they are selling imports? and even if they are does that matter - they all have mph clocks etc.

Have a little look - they have some very cheap GSXRs too,

http://www.tazmotorcycles.co.uk/index.asp

they are parralel importers who conver the bikes to uk spec..

yes they are cheap but there is probably a kncok on effect of the resale long term..

for £1500 saving.. i aint arguing

ooooh FZ1.... yummy
Old 09-07-07, 11:04 AM   #3
carty

I was going to get my new gixer 6 from Taz as they were / are cheaper than mos places. But they are imports, which meant the bike wouldn't qualify for Suzuki's £99 insurance offer they were doing last month.

If I was looking at another brand or in the future, buying an import wouldn't bother me - I've heard Taz give a 3 year warranty with some new bikes instead of the usual 2, but a fully authorised dealer probably wouldn't do warranty work on it, you'd have to take it back to Taz with any problems.

HTH,

Cheers,
Matt
Old 09-07-07, 11:04 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Taz do do imports, and I'd guess this is one, not fantastic backup but that's part of the whole package, the warrenty is european, but you will find you maybe overlooked if a recall comes along so have to stay on top of that.

It's also important to find out which market the bike was originally intended for as some have both power & immisions restrictions, so the bike may have extra bits added or restrictors (or ECU) fitted.

I've done this in the passed and it's a good way of saving money, but do exspect to loose a little on resale.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:15 PM   #5
muffles

Quite a few people on gixerjunkies buy from Taz, as mentioned they are importers so are cheaper due to that. The third year of the warranty is with Taz themselves from what I've read, I've also read about a guy that got his import registered (?) or something on the UK warranty database in case of any issues.

I think you'd take a hit on the resale value but possibly that would be smaller than what you'd save, making it worthwhile?

Also, and this is the main (only?) reason I'd personally buy an import, you get access to different colour schemes
Old 09-07-07, 12:28 PM   #6
AlanB

Same sort of operation as Motorpoint for cars. Some, usually minor differences in spec but can be big savings in price. You'll have to bear in mind the lower resale value though, you pay less out initially and you'd expect to get less back at the end, as long as you mention its an import or the buyer spots it anyway. Not to imply that you wouldn't mention it in anyway !!

I brought my last car this way cos it was going to be a long term thing, not worried about resale values and saved £000's. Still got the car and very happy, never been an issue over spares etc so overall I'd go for it again.
Old 09-07-07, 01:14 PM   #7
markmoto

Mmm good choice that man is abit more of a handfull than my sv650 k3 but so smooth, comfy and fast even with my good lady on the back she loves it. And with my new scorpion titanium sounds sweet.
Old 09-07-07, 01:46 PM   #8
neio79

they dont convert all their bikes to UK spec.
my bike is an import from Taz, i am the second owner. And i only realised that it was an import when i took it for MOT and was told it needed a UK headlight. The dealer tried to find out where it came from but the frame number was only designated EU??

anyhow i really dont think that it willl make any differance to my resale value, as it now passes MOT's etc andi wont be declaring it, ill let the dealer find out when they check the frame number on the V5.

As for the powere restrictions, that only applies to bikes over 100BHP and from France and Germany mainly, so if you are buting a GSXR etc then yes check the power on it to make sure the ECU has been changed to a UK one!
Old 09-07-07, 03:47 PM   #9
kwak zzr

wouldnt bother me if it gives a £1500 saving its the same bike.