SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 16-10-16, 05:38 PM   #1
jagryan85

Default Hi New Member Just Bought an SV

Just purchased a 2001 Y reg SV650S after 15 years of riding a scooter! I just passed my bike test last week from doing a DAC at Marriott's in Birkenhead. I Passed my car licence at 17 some 15 years ago and as can be told by my username I am into my Jags too. Currently got a V8 S-Type which is my other baby! Trained on a Kawasaki Er6n which I really liked riding but I have always wanted a bandit. Sold my scooter of 8 years, a Peugeot Speedfight which has served me exceptionally well over the years. Found myself an impulse buy on auto trader, SV650S £500 spares or repairs no MOT. First proper bike. Seller claimed it had been knocked over in a supermarket carpark and suffered minor damage. Damage was to bubble screen, bent gear peg but I bent it back, bent clutch lever, numberplate surround. Tyres were down to limits and the brake pads need changing. Fitted secondhand clutch lever, just waiting on bubble screen new led brake/tail bulbs, pillion grab handle and a few other bits before I can send it in for MOT. Think what stopped a lot of damage was the sticky out pegs what look aftermarket - I'm in two minds whether to keep them on or remove them! I'm after some advice about what to do about the number plate holder, as there doesn't seem to be one! The plate was just screwed on and no plate light either. I will put up some pics.

Anyway, call me Ryan, I'm from the lower (better half) of the Wirral.

Some pics

Last edited by jagryan85; 16-10-16 at 05:43 PM.
Old 16-10-16, 06:10 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hi New Member Just Bought an SV

The sticky-out pegs are frame sliders and are there to take the knocks instead of your much more expensive fairing parts and/or engine cases. Keep them (replacing if the bolts holding them are bent) as they are a great for similar car park incidents.

It looks like your bike has a tail tidy and undertray replacing the stock (much bigger) rear guard and plate hanger. Hopefully someone will recognise which one it is if you need to replace it as it looks pretty worse for wear.

Welcome by the way
Old 16-10-16, 07:10 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

hello and welcome!

As Trev says keep the crash bungs, those are R&G ones, so not cheap ones that break or snap
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 07:32 PM   #4
jagryan85

Thanks for the reply's. I will keep the bungs for the time being, being a novice as such on a real bike. I rode the bike before I bought it, just in a cul-de-sac and it rode well. Engine was sweet and the clutch and gears felt good. He had the bike for only a year but has a fully stamped service book and the last 6 mot's. Apart from said defects I believe she will sail through again, just need to sort the tyres out, get some new rear bulbs, fit the bubble screen, fit the pillion handle which was missing and do the brake pads all round. The only concern is the number plate holder. I think I am going to have to fabricate something up and get a light from something like an old trailer or van. I looked fo tail tidy's but I cant see how they fit on, am sure something on my bike is missing for it to attach to? It looks like I may need the under body section or something? I could do with a pic or two from a standard bike to see what's what really.

I'm in no rush to sort it but fingers are twitching already and I'm dreaming of the day I can take her out. Really want to ride her before winter hits full time.
Also, I don't have any biker buddy's but maybe I could gain a few from here who knows...
Love driving to north wales and seeing all those bikes up the pendorosa cafe in Llangollen

Ryan

Last edited by jagryan85; 16-10-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 17-10-16, 11:15 AM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Hallo Ryan and welcome along.

With regards to the rear plate, I'd personally see if I could find an original snow shovel type mudguard. I know people think they are ugly but they do a good job at keeping the spray from the rear wheel off of your back when you ride in the rain. If you don't intend to ride in the wet however, just get a new undertray kit.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-16, 11:26 AM   #6
jagryan85

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. I'm one of those type who like to keep everything as original as possible. Yes I do like mods but nothing which affects the look of the bike. Un touched I believe holds the value of things for longer. Would you or anyone be able to point me in the right direction regarding the under tray kit? It's the only thing stopping me now getting this beauty back on the road.

Kind Regards
Ryan
Old 17-10-16, 11:39 AM   #7
jagryan85

Hi would i be right in saying this is the correct part i need?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV650...786?nav=SEARCH

Says for 2001 N unfaired model. Is this the same part for the F Faired model?

Also, does anyone know what the paint code is for my bike and would I be able to get a can made up at Halfords or similar?

Cheers

Last edited by jagryan85; 17-10-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 17-10-16, 03:30 PM   #8
jagryan85

Ok so just bought above part. Hoping it is the correct one otherwise I'll have to make it fit one way or another!

Can someone tell me if the front mirrors are supposed to have the indicators built into them? As other examples seem to have them on the fairings....I have another issue only just found out that after 5 seconds the indicators start to flash rapidly like a bulb has blown, but bulbs are fine, does this on both sides. I'm thinking the indicators are not standard and so the bulbs are not the correct wattage.

Any ideas on my paint code/name?

Regards
Ryan
Old 17-10-16, 06:56 PM   #9
500tie

Hi Ryan, firstly your indicators are flashing really quick as they are most likely LED's you'll need to change the relay to make them flash at the correct rate. The standard indicators should be in the fairing not the mirrors.
The rear tail you've bought should fit but I'm not an expert in what fits both the naked and faired. It has however been painted they are normally just black plastic, sorry I can't help with the paint code even though I have the same colour I have no idea what it is mate
Old 17-10-16, 07:35 PM   #10
jagryan85

Hi 500tie. I checked the bulbs in the mirrors and they are the correct wattage as what is stated in the handbook, same as the rears. They are normal bulbs not leds. So this is pointing me towards an earth or relay problem. Any idea where the indicator relay is?

The mirrors fittted to the bike have the same carbon affect as the dash. Also, my fairings don't seem to have a cutout where the indicator should be. Different version of somesort?

The used tail I have bought will be paint stripped back to black plastic. I was considering painting it but just going to leave it black for the time being. I have removed the damaged undertray tonight and await the delivery of the used one.

More pics

Last edited by jagryan85; 17-10-16 at 07:55 PM.