SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-05, 10:32 AM   #1
BillyC
Mega Poster

Default Winter approaching fast...

It was obvious from my walk into work today, that winter is approaching fast, that is unless it's not already here!

So for those on the Forum who are planning to ride through this winter, please do take extra care to keep things the right way up! There's no pleasure in reading a Forum where people are having accidents all the time!

No doubt there will be some considerable discussion on these pages over the coming months on how to keep warm, and stay safe in these conditions. While this may seem a bit repetitive year after year, it is certainly useful advice for the Forum's new members and riders.

So, my few bits of learned advice are:
  • Get the right kit! You think it's cold now, wait to see what it feels like at 50mph. Good windproof kit, and layers is essential. Cold extremities does nothing for your riding skill!
  • Gloves. Your summer ones will most likely leave you at the side of the road, with tears in your eyes. Good winter gloves aren't necessarily expensive ones, and there are some good contenders out there. My advice is to buy them slightly too large - this ensures that a good amount of air is allowed to gather inside, for extra insulation. Glove liners tend to be a waste of your time and money. However, I've been told that a thin silk pair are very effective, and not at all bulky.
  • Lid. Your helmet and head are right out there, and definitely subject to the cold. If you don't have a balaclava, get one! Big or small to your preference - some will go all the way to your shoulders. Your visor is an important factor too - if you can get a Pinlock visor (or even a FogCity insert), I highly recommend them. The double glazing effect is essential.
  • Fog. Ride into fog in the cold winter, and it's going to do what water does when it's cold, and chilled by the wind - freeze. If this happens on your visor, fine, you can stop and wipe it off (most of the time)... but if you open your visor, it's going to freeze to the inside as well - this isn't so easy. Appreciate this, and things might be a little easier for you!
  • Your Bike. Broadly speaking, look after your bike, and it'll look after you. There'll be a lot of salt on the road when it's cold, and this is no friend to a motorcycle - especially not the SV. Wash this off as often as you can. Protective sprays such as Scottoiler's FS365 are useful, but must be used often. WD40 is your friend! (but not to your brakes)
  • Keeping warm. Many have fitted heated grips to their bikes - for good reason! Your fingers are the bits that'll get coldest fastest. They're also the things you use to go faster, slow down, indicate, and finely control your bike. If they're cold, they won't do this very well.

Finally... ice isn't easily spotted. Get a feel for the road, but always be on your guard. Roads at this time of year aren't grippy and sticky, and neither are your tyres, much.

So... those are my thoughts, I'm sure everyone has plenty to add! Ride safe!
Old 14-11-05, 10:41 AM   #2
wyrdness

Good advice, all of that. I'd also add:

Improve your circulation - Cardiovascular exercise will get you fitter and benefit your circulatory system. The result - warmer hands and feet, plus you'll be in better shape.

Soup! - A hot soup before riding can help you to stay warmer for longer. Those cup-a-soups may not taste wonderful but are quick and easy. Same goes for pot-noodles.

Thermals - they might not look sexy, but if worn under your leathers will help keep you warm. If you pull, you'll just have to surreptitiously remove them in the bathroom.
Old 14-11-05, 10:43 AM   #3
thor

Good point about the double glazing effect of a visor insert. I hadn't thought of that before.

Also, wear earplugs! Your ears are a major heat loss from your head, and when your head gets cold, you lose concentration!
Old 14-11-05, 10:52 AM   #4
mysteryjimbo

All good advice.

All the winter riding veterans will agree (including me).
Old 14-11-05, 10:59 AM   #5
Grinch

I need new gloves.. couldn't feel my fingers this morning. Oh and the carb icing on my bike was awful, will have to dig out the fuel treatment tonight.
Old 14-11-05, 11:13 AM   #6
Jelster

A tip for the feet... Rather than wear thermal socks, then have to change them when you get to work, slip a pair of trainer socks over your normal ones, extra layer works wonders.

Get a microflece. Small enough to put in your tank bag/rucksack/under seat, but gives you an extra layer on the body.

Buy decent "windstopper" clothing. It's not cheap, but I wish I had invested in decent gear in the first place as it would have saved me shed loads in the long run.

And remember, you can always put your hands on the engine when you are at lights

Old 14-11-05, 11:18 AM   #7
thor

Reminds me of the courier I saw drinking coffee at a set of lights once. When it was time to go he stuffed it down between the exhaust and the engine casing (I think it was a beamer) to keep it hot as he rode off.

One of the other great things about of a race exhaust is that the lack of baffle means it doesn't get too hot to touch. In fact, it's perfect for warming gloved hands on!
Old 14-11-05, 01:56 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

And use handlebar muffs, not even a teenysy weensy bit stylish, very effective though. When used in conjunction with heated grips are the best ever way to keep hands warm.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-05, 06:40 PM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
And use handlebar muffs, not even a teenysy weensy bit stylish, very effective though. When used in conjunction with heated grips are the best ever way to keep hands warm.
Already fitted Sir
Old 14-11-05, 07:21 PM   #10
aej

Default Re: Winter approaching fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Gloves. Your summer ones will most likely leave you at the side of the road, with tears in your eyes. Good winter gloves aren't necessarily expensive ones, and there are some good contenders out there. My advice is to buy them slightly too large - this ensures that a good amount of air is allowed to gather inside, for extra insulation. Glove liners tend to be a waste of your time and money. However, I've been told that a thin silk pair are very effective, and not at all bulky.
Can't disagree with any of that, but I'll just repeat another option that I've mentioned here in the past.

In my despatch riding days, many years ago, much experimentation led me to the solution of thermal gloves under waterproof mittens. My current kit is a £2.50 pair of 40 gram Thinsulate gloves worn under some American '2 finger' style waterproof nylon overmitts. They kept my hands like toast on last year's Christmas Day/Boxing Day jaunt. As a bonus, a spare pair of inners (for when the condensation gets too much) should take up a lot less space (and cash) than a spare pair of winter gloves.

For any prolonged period of use then h/b muffs are a 'must have'.