SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-13, 07:20 AM   #41
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Looking to buy a DSLR camera.

I find the little point and shoot annoying when it comes to bike action shots ,air craft and pets.
Its to slow to capture multi shots. Not enough zoom .
But the SLR looks a bit complicated!
Old 14-08-13, 07:45 AM   #42
Mark_h
Mega Poster

SLR is just bigger. Leave it on auto and it's a big, expensive point and shoot. Move it to Programme and you get control but hard to mess it up. Move it elsewhere and you can get fancy depending on what you are trying to achieve. You'll learn about priorities, metering, depth of field and all that as you go along. For day 1, leave it in auto, point it at something you like, press the button and you'll get a decent picture.

However >90% of the quality of a picture comes down to what you point it at not what it is. Some of my best pictures have been taken with my worse cameras.

Also don't worry about getting uber-expensive lenses right away. If it comes with a kit lens it will already be 100x better quality than your phone or point and shoot. Once you've used it a while you'll work out what you need next.

The problem with asking folks is people that get really into it get really into it and think nothing of spending hundreds or thousands on kit that a beginner doesn't need.

If a mate was looking to get into bikes you'd suggest they got a cheap simple SV or a Hornet or something however some would say you need a 1098 or KTM990 because they're better. Keep it simple to start as chances are you don't know what you want yet.

With cameras so long as you stick to a brand (Canon, Nikon etc) the kit is largely interchangeable so get a basic canon body with kit lens. If you want a better lens you can get one later once you know what you need it to do; if you then want to upgrade the body you can and if you get another canon your cheap and your decent lens will still fit.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13, 07:52 AM   #43
NTECUK
Mega Poster

The one that caught my eye was a fugiefilm 45000.
14Mp sensor and 30x zoom. But if yours is simular ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008...AC_SX110_SY190

Last edited by NTECUK; 14-08-13 at 07:57 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13, 08:00 AM   #44
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Mine was an S5000. Personally I'd not recommend it or anything like it as like I said before I think it offers the worse of both worlds. It's not all about mega pixels. A Hi resolution crap image is still a crap image. The sensor and lens on an SLR will typically gather more info than the pin hole on a point and shoot. if you capture crap at 14 MP or quality at 8 MP I can guarantee the 8MP will be better unless you want to blow it up to the size of a bus or crop it really really tight.

I'm sure folks will be along shortly to shout me down but we'll see how we go.

Google the S5000, and if you're interested (despite my recommendations to avoid) I'll see what they go for. Mine's mint and boxed
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13, 08:56 AM   #45
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Martin, what Mark says is very true, it's a lot more to do with sensor size than megapixels.

Taking a portrait on a point and shoot you won't be able to meter very well and if you do use a flash it will be right next to the lens so you get the startled rabbit look and probably red eye. You can use a pretty basic SLR but use an external flash, bounce the light off the ceiling, wall or use a flash diffuser and you will get a portrait 100 times better and much more flattering. That's why I do take mine along to things like the Org Soho Christmas parties as it's so much better than using a compact. With a SLR you will also pay the money for an f2.8 lens or even an f1.4 - which is what gives you that nice fuzzy background on your portraits and wildlife pics or allows you to shoot in lower light conditions with a faster shutter speed. Also don't be duped by a huge number before the zoom amount. A lot of these cameras are basically cropping the image in the camera so you may be able to get closer to the plane in the sky on the view finder but quality will be pants.

I would at this stage like to point out that we have a KTM990 in the garage, but despite me owning some incredibly expensive and well designed kit Mr LPH is one of the worst photographers on the planet. In 23 years he's managed to take about 4 photos of me in focus with both my head and limbs in the shot but he'll have still cut off the top of St Paul's or I'll be out of focus while the bin behind me is pin sharp!
Old 14-08-13, 09:04 AM   #46
Brettus

I disagree with Mark here, I had a bridge camera before I changed to a DSLR and I've still not rivalled some of the pictures I took with it. The main thing about a decent bridge camera (especially if it does RAW) is that it is a pretty comprehensive "kit" in itself some of them now cater to ranges from 24-1200! try to kit a DSLR out with that kind of range and you'll carry 3-4 lenses and spend a fortune getting them.

The lenses aren't nearly as good for shallow depth of field but that only really comes into it when you start trying to be particularly creative. For a quality re-production of events or places you have been then a bridge can be a great option. Mine had the option of 15 second long exposures so I could do a fair amount of night shots and things with that.

The bridge camera I had is currently the one making it's way around the globe as part of the OTaL experiment (Canon S3IS)

One point to mention, I had a friend with a Fuji bridge camera and he hated it, image was constantly muddy but I really liked my canon bridge. I guess that is why Fuji are always at the cheaper end of the bridge market. With cameras you DO get what you pay for, regardless of type.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"

Last edited by Brettus; 14-08-13 at 09:19 AM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13, 06:27 PM   #47
Kenzie

I have a Fuji HS10 bridge camera. Has a cool 30x zoom but the sensor is so small the image quality isn't bad but not great.
Sensor size comparison:
http://j.mp/16l1HgW

Physical size comparison:

Low light on my bridge isn't great without ramping up the iso but the reach with it's 30x zoom is amazing

Some shots from the HS10

24mm wide angle: (Mav will know this area well)

720mm tele:

Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-13, 09:49 AM   #48
dirtyred619

Damn this thread! I was quite happy taking pics on my phone and point and shoot camera but have fancied buying a DSLR for a while now. I used to have an SLR camera in my mid to late teens and used it mainly for timed exposures (remember cable release!) and messing around really trying to get pics of star trails (camera was constantly set to infinity) etc but although the kit was cheap it turned into an expensive hobby with all the processing and films!

I think the 1100D looks like a good reintroduction into 'proper' cameras and being able to spread the cost over 6 months is handy too.

Just a couple of questions, can the 1100D do timed exposures (assuming it can). I'm imagining this is done by some kind of little remote though now rather then a cable release!

And secondly I'm assuming it can shoot in RAW?

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by dirtyred619; 16-08-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 16-08-13, 10:03 AM   #49
Brettus

Yes to all, the "cable release" remotes (they still come cabled although you can get IR but I prefer to have it cabled TBH cost a couple of pounds off ebay and given that it is just a switch on a wire you can cheap out on them

you can also get intelligent ones that have timers built into them for precise multiminute shots but you get a second timer on the back of the camera when shooting in bulb mode anyway. Anything up to 30 seconds the camera can handle by itself BTW.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-13, 10:48 AM   #50
Bluepete
Mega Poster

For a really good interval release, timer and remote control, look at Triggertrap. It's a phone/tablet app that connects to the camera. You can do all sorts of clever exposures like start trail, auto HDR bracketing and much more. It can even be triggered by sound.

The app is free, the connector costs and is on Amazon. I also bought a 20ft extension so I can do star trails in winter from inside!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote