SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-03-09, 10:46 AM   #1
missyburd

Default 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

So they're wanting to cut the current teacher training course of 1 year down to 6 months in a bid to tempt more people into the profession...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7933690.stm

First question, would you be tempted given the current worries about finding jobs?

Second question, as a parent would you be happy having your children taught by someone who's only been in the business 6 months, would you consider them properly qualified? Or would it not bother you as long as they got the syllabus across and got your child through school...?

My mother has a BEd *Bachelor of Education* and studied for 3 years in order to become a teacher (back in the day when that was the requirement) and she's worked with colleagues who are fresh out of teacher training and has been quite frankly appalled by the standard and quality (or lack of) of their teaching.

Is teaching even a serious career option anymore if you're able to just walk in and take it up?

Disclaimer: Please note I am not saying EVERYONE who has a PGCE dewberry is incapable as a teacher, I am well aware there are teachers on here
Old 10-03-09, 10:54 AM   #2
Stig

Default Re: 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

I am concerned.

The school where my children attend have just been hammered by the ofsted. They did very poor indeed. Most of the teachers were condemned in the report as giving inadequate instruction. The homework my daughter brings home is a joke. I have taught her the times tables. She is miles in front of the rest of her class. (she is . We have had to make an official complaint about one of her teachers who constantly shouts at the children. Yes, I am worried about the standards of the teaching profession.

It is not just a case of what they know. They need to be able to relate to the age group they are teaching. This is where the training comes in. 6 months. Not anywhere near enough time in my opinion.
Old 10-03-09, 10:56 AM   #3
Daimo

Home learning ftw.

That or public school.

I didn't even realise its only Kent that has Grammer Schools. My child/ren will go to a Grammer school. Being from a normal high school, I dont want my kids going there.
Old 10-03-09, 10:58 AM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Forget Dolly the Sheep - we need to clone Messie

Then we can deploy the Messie Teacer army to educate the children of the nation.

We will, however outsource the spelling.............

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 11:02 AM   #5
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post

It is not just a case of what they know. They need to be able to relate to the age group they are teaching. This is where the training comes in. 6 months. Not anywhere near enough time in my opinion.
Yes my thoughts exactly. The problem doesn't stay in school though, the lecturing standards are slipping at uni also. I'm in my third and last year and I can safely say the lecturing is getting to the point I'd rather not turn up and just read in my own time. The difficulty now is finding well-educated people to pass the baton so to speak. We have some damn clever people at uni but that certainly doesn't mean they automatically have the ability to teach based on their brainpower.

I had some great teachers at school don't get me wrong, but I also had your typical "textbook" teachers who seem to think sitting at the front and marking books should be done in lesson time while you answer questions from the book

If things don't improve then any kids I have will get home tutoring, namely by me mam
Old 10-03-09, 11:08 AM   #6
Sally

All the older generation of teachers at my old school are leaving this year..
Place is going to be a shambles.

All the younger teachers are good for drama/music ect..

But for the 'academic' subjects, physics maths ect, the younger teachers i got, were sh!te tbh.
Maybe they just need experience.

Uni leacturers seem to be academics that never leave uni, go from to school, get a degree/doctorate and stay at the uni to teach. Never see what their subjects realate to in the real world.
All my college lecturers have worked in the industry for a fair amount of years, and got qualifications through their work.
For advice on getting jobs, or further education, i just ask them.

After numerous emails and phone calls to the local uni, i gave up.
2 months and no reply, bar stewards.
Old 10-03-09, 11:08 AM   #7
Dappa D

Quote:
But Dr Bousted said: "It sounds like an employment scheme for unemployed bankers, but this may not be the best way to go about it.
sounds about right!

im sure the reduction could temp some professionals who turn out to be great teachers into the system.

but imo it will tempt more not so good professionals into the system as they would see it as a "make money/get a job quick scheme"

imo a teacher should be someone who wants to help / nurture and indeed teach children and would/should be willing to put the years training in to do something they are passionate about, rather than something that will pay the bills.

so yes i do have concerns as my lil one will be starting school in about 4yrs time...probably just as the large scale consequences of reducing the training time will be taking effect
Old 10-03-09, 11:14 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

I am more concerned about the standard of teachers currently in the job than those that may come into it.

I remember some years ago helping my daughter with her IT project and she was poorly marked. When at parents evening I questioned it I was told she had the logic wrong, It was a hotel booking system and her reservation system looked for empty rooms, not occupied. Did you look at the underlying SQL I asked, in order to reserve a room you need to know what is available, not occupied. No I don't understand or teach that stuff he replied.

Oh how are you qualified to teach IT, I did course I do it as well as PE. what he meant was somebody had shown him to use Microsoft office. I was already annoyed as in my opinion they should have been teaching the principles of IT, not how to use a limited set of commercial applications.

So the geography/history teachers etc have BAs in their subject the science teachers the appropriate BSc, MSc etc. but the IT teacher did a course and is actually only qualified in Physical Education.

Maybe it is better to get in place academically qualified and teach them to teach, rather than teach teachers the subject they are to teach.

I have a friend who unfortunately I had to make redundant some years ago. He has gone to his former grammar school as an IT tech as he needed some security in his life. Despite having a BSc Hons in Computing and 25 years industry experience as an applications developer he is earning a pittance, knows more about IT than those teaching it. However, he can go home at night and switch off. I am not sure he would want the aggravation of teaching for the lousy salaries newly qualified teachers get.

I used to do a couple of lectures each year at my local university on operating system design and implementation. Whilst I am not qualified to teach anything. The university had approached me as two of their Phd students had worked for me and had suggested my name when the university were struggling to find somebody to present the subject. Nice pay for 3 weeks work. But then they decided to switch the O/S they used for that component module and I was replaced by a staff member. I could always send a few to sleep

Last edited by timwilky; 10-03-09 at 11:27 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 11:17 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I've just asked Matt what his dad would think of this. He took early retirement from teaching physics and maths in a private school two years ago, partially as he didn't always agree with the education system.

I'd imagine my dad would say ''It would be a disgrace''
Alternatively my son is in year two. I went to parents evening last week. Most parents are concerned about the way the teacher teaches. Shs a supply teacher, who has given up her other commitments at other schools to solely teach my sons class. The proper teacher has been off sick since October. Mrs.S believes in continuity and says shes only supposed to be here until Easter, but still thinks she should risk staying rather than the class be uprooted. There are 22 boys and 6 girls and they can all be a right handful. Some of the boys are on bad behaviour programmes, and are disruptive....but she still plods along. Shes strict, a single parent and gives the education she believes is right. Most of the other parents don't like the way she teaches...perhaps their golden children need a stern hand. I like her and am behind someone who is dedicated to proper teaching. Between the teachers in previous years, and this one, and my input my son has the reading ability of a nine year old(hes seven) his literacy and numeracy skills are two levels above the class average, and year average as a whole.
I believe if someone can give a skills and can teach properly in comparison to some of the current teachers, so be it. Its a little concerning wether they can take all the skills on board in such a short time, but remember the people that would be selected would initiallly be probably heavily skilled in their usual field. If Im Indoors would take the option I would be behind him, as he has a good skill in his field, but is finding work difficult to find after graduating(even though he has experience)...but from what his dad says about the way things are taught these days, its put him off for life!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-03-09 at 11:19 AM. Reason: naff speeeeellllling!
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 11:22 AM   #10
jimmy__riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoralba View Post
Uni leacturers seem to be academics that never leave uni, go from to school, get a degree/doctorate and stay at the uni to teach. Never see what their subjects realate to in the real world.
have you actually been to uni? or finished school.

Any course worth doing has to relate to the real world. Academics dont just teach, real ones do research, to get money to do research you have to write detailed grant applications to get the funding, the only way people will give you money is if your research has a purpose in the real world. if its no use to the real world theres no point doing it. thats what keeps academics in the job, teaching undergraduates is just part of the role.

From what ive seen within chemistry its a those who can do, those who cant teach. I know this isnt always the case, i know good chemists to teach, but for many its an easier way than finding a job in industry.