SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-13, 08:34 AM   #31
startrek.steve

Default Re: Would you buy a Cat D writeoff?

I rode my Cat D write off 60 miles home with a broken arm five years ago, its still going strong (The bike and the arm!)
Old 03-10-13, 08:20 AM   #32
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
How often do people buy bikes without ever knowing that once upon a time they were an insurance job. Bikes get written off so easily these days due to what is nothing more than cosmetic damage or bolt on repairs and it's simply because of the cost of original parts. My SV was a write off when I bought it, yet I rode it home! Unless you're buying something nearly new and spending silly money on it do people even bother getting background checks done? I know I don't.
I do in case of outstanding finance. Having to strip a bike to the frame can be so time consuming!
Old 03-10-13, 08:22 AM   #33
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I do in case of outstanding finance. Having to strip a bike to the frame can be so time consuming!
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 08:37 AM   #34
ClunkintheUK

Ok gonna have a look saturday (hopefully, if the seller can do it in the morning). Apart from the obvious of service history and obvious cracks to the frame etc. that I have done for previous vehicle purchases what should I specifically look for. How would I check things like the forks being bent or the headstock being out of line, I don't believe that they would be from the nature of the write-off, but even with the drop in price its a lot of money so want to do everything I can to make sure its a good 'un.
Old 03-10-13, 01:02 PM   #35
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Does it ride straight, including hands off? Are the front end and handlebars straight? That is to say; when you're riding in a straight line are the 'bars, top yoke etc all pointing exactly straight ahead?
Does it steer both sides with equal weight? Bear in mind the camber of the road can affect this, so pick a suitable spot before making a final judgement.
Sight across the forks perpendicular to the bike - are the chrome sections perfectly aligned?
Lie on the floor in front of the bike, line the wheels up - can you see an equal amount of back tyre either side of the front?

If it doesn't go straight and steer properly, it's bent, (or at least; misaligned). If it does, it isn't.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 04:42 PM   #36
ClunkintheUK

Bike bought and now sitting outside my flat. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-10-13, 07:30 PM   #37
BigFootIsBlurry

Wahey, here's hoping it all works outfor you.

Like the bike?

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 07:49 AM   #38
ClunkintheUK

Took it for a short spin last night. Its a lot more bike then the SV. It was just up into town, so all very slow and sedate but I can see this will be a mile eater, and still quick enough in the twisties with two of us.

The controls are much lighter and more sensitive, which is the part I found hardest to adjust to. The gearing is a lot longer to, I can happily bimble around town and never change out of first. Only does 4k rpm at 30. Mrs Clunk was somewhat surprised by how much more oomph it had.
Old 10-10-13, 08:34 AM   #39
Fallout
Mega Poster

Big wide bars dude. Makes it easy peasy. Enjoy!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 09:02 AM   #40
Y-Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
Took it for a short spin last night. Its a lot more bike then the SV. It was just up into town, so all very slow and sedate but I can see this will be a mile eater, and still quick enough in the twisties with two of us.

The controls are much lighter and more sensitive, which is the part I found hardest to adjust to. The gearing is a lot longer to, I can happily bimble around town and never change out of first. Only does 4k rpm at 30. Mrs Clunk was somewhat surprised by how much more oomph it had.

Indeed - Mrs Clunk was
to avoid falling off the back!

Incidentally - what is the point of grab rails? They seem to do chuff-all to help in my experience, just lull into a false sense of security (which is quickly doused by a smart take-off at the lights)