SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-16, 09:55 AM   #1
Ds77

Default Anyone use Wilbers or Nitron shocks?

I'm looking for a shock for a track sv650 and was considering the Nitron sport or for a little more could get a Wilbers race. Any opinions on the 2? I know that Nitron have a good name but I've heard less about Wilbers. The Wilbers has compression and rebound adjustment whereas the Nitron just has 1 adjustment for both.

I was originally looking at the popular zx10 conversion but there aren't many about these days and don't seem to be the bargain they used to be especially considering they would need a proper service too.

I guess what I want to hear is that a few people are using the Wilbers race and think it's amazing!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 12:48 PM   #2
theenglishman

Default Re: Anyone use Wilbers or Nitron shocks?

I have a ZX10r shock I'm just about to sell.

PM me if interested.
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 03:25 PM   #3
Crawling Finn

My other bike is BMW R1200GS on which I have Nitron Sport shock at front. It is nicely made but the adjustment is a bit limited when you cannot set rebound and compression separately. Their customer service is second to none and shock service doesn't break the bank. In GS world Wilbers is highly regarded - I just wanted to be a bit different and buy British.
Crawling Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 04:41 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Nitron all day long.

you tell them what your weight is, what kind of riding you do and they set it up for you. when it needs a service then its just a quick phone call to Nitron, send them the shock, pay your money and they send it back, if you think the valving need changed come service time then you tell them what problems you are having they then stick it on the dyno and have a look and play with shim stack. with them being a UK based company you get the Nitron servicing the shock, unlike some others where you have to rely on them being knowledgable enough to know what they are doing. Nitron also keep every single spare part is stock. if you decide later that you want to upgrade to say a 3 clicker then you just send them the shock come service time and they will fit the upgrade parts.

a race shock should be serviced between 6-10k depending on how hard a use they get.

i have 30k on mine and it still looks brand new.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 06:07 PM   #5
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

if you decide later that you want to upgrade to say a 3 clicker then you just send them the shock come service time and they will fit the upgrade parts.

Be a little carful here I have the sport shock and I recently asked Nitron if they can upgrade it to an R2 shock, I was told by them to sell my sport shock and buy a new R2 instead as it is not economical to upgrade the one I have!.
Old 17-06-16, 06:20 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

to fit the SV properly you need to get them to fit a remote can. its cheaper than them fitting a piggyback. the piggyback dont fit the SV without major surgery.

last time i enquired it was about £400 all in including service to fit remote can. yes this might push up the price over if you were to buy a new 3way clicker but you already have the shock. way i think about it was paying a fully fledged in two payments with second payment being when you have spare cash.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 06:31 PM   #7
nutzboutbikes

With hindsight I wish I had stumped up the extra £200 for the R2 when purchasing.

They are good shocks and well worth considering.
Old 17-06-16, 10:39 PM   #8
Ds77

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest I'm pushing the budget just looking at the nitron sport at £400 - then I saw the fully adjustable wilbers for £500 and thought it looked great quality and I could maybe stretch to it..

I'd originally planned around £150 for the rear shock so should probably reign myself in before my 'cheap track bike' starts becoming an expensive work of art.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-16, 09:12 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Penske triple clicker just sold for £200 on fleabay
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote