SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-06, 02:50 PM   #1
wtdafk

Default Cracked clocks

hello
i noticed it the other day, both my sppedo and taco's are cracked! the plastic looks like broken glass round the edge but can still see all the readings fine.
i was just wondering if i can just replace the plastics rather than getting new clocks, i supose you must be able to or that would just be silly.

also any idear what could have caused this or anyone had this happen before?? i was thinking it was the heat under my cover but its in the shade most the day, or i know ive got a slightly higher tyre pressure could this be the cause, my pressure is not much higher tho
Old 07-07-06, 02:53 PM   #2
kciN

Do you have a iriidum screen? They've been known to burn dials, from the heat of the sun, although yours are cracked.

Is anything loose or warped to cause cracking. Have a look on ebay, sometimes whole clock surrounds are available..
Old 07-07-06, 03:04 PM   #3
wtdafk

just the standard screen its really strange,

i do have to go over a huge bump in my road every time i go out so maybe that would cause it, wish i had taken a pic of the bumps n holes then maybe could have got the council to get me sum new clocks

il have a full check over the bike tommoro but i think every thing is fine its only small cracks at the moment starting from the outsides but ive got a feeling its guna get worse[/img]
Old 07-07-06, 09:54 PM   #4
Davido

Hindsight, a mockingly useful gift.

Unlucky with the clocks, have you asked your local dealer?
Old 08-07-06, 11:53 AM   #5
riktherider

my rev counter has done the same as well. i took them apart and found no way of taking the glass off. mine is a pointy naked though, depends what yours is.
im not sure how mine happened, think it could have been my helmet, i might have rested it on there when filling up, but i cant remember.
think you will be looking at replacing the whole casing. dont need to change the insides.
Old 09-07-06, 07:36 PM   #6
SVeeedy Gonzales

If you can't get just the plastics, try to glue it together. Replacement clocks are a fortune on most bikes and I know a few people who've glued badly smashed clock plastics back - so long as you can read 'em...
Old 10-07-06, 06:45 PM   #7
tinpants
Ubique

Is your bike a curvy or a pointy? Faired or unfaired? If its a faired curvy then drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you a set of clocks to replace them with. The "innards" are f@cked but the casing and glass are intact.