SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-06, 08:15 PM   #1
dotted

Default Cracked can - bad fitting ?

Im having some issues with my blue flame can that i buy from ebay !
It cracked around the connecting pipe.

You can see on the picture the can already welded around the crak area . The crack was almost 360º around the pipe , a couple more miles and the can would fall ...

The can was in good shape when i got it , and i think the fitting was good , but im looking for some opinions to see if my fitting is good , or there is something wrong with it !

On this picture , you can see the hanging braked isnt very tight , but its was the best i could do :/

I think i got the wrong link pipe or the hanging bracket is to big to the blue flame oval !
Old 23-09-06, 10:25 PM   #2
instigator

Hi

I'd email Blue Flame and see what they think about it. Their customer service really appears to have improved over the last year. A replacement end cap should only be about £20 but BF may waiver the fee if they do a lifetime guarantee like CCC do.
Old 24-09-06, 04:25 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My blueflame can did the same. So have a few others.

drop and email to rgeskell@blueflameperformance.com, Rod is the MD he sorted out my problems with my can, they do have a lifetime guarantee.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-06, 04:52 AM   #4
Paul C

I agree with the previous posts, the manufacturer will probably solve your problem.
In the meantime, you need to shim up that hanger bracket, or the can will fall right off. The whole weight of the can is vibrating and bouncing, which likely caused the breakage. Strips of innertube would work, web reinforced rubber that is used in the plumbing business would be better. Fit needs to be snug (two fingers on the ratchet or wrench) but not so tight as to collapse the can. With a torque wrench, about 20-25 ft/lbs for stainless steel, maybe 20 ft/lbs for aluminum.
Old 24-09-06, 01:03 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

if the hnger bracket is wrong (too looose or too big) then the can will be moving up and down as you ride slowly straining the metal pice holding the can to the rest of the system. Make sure it's tight once you've got it repaired
Old 24-09-06, 05:36 PM   #6
dotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
if the hnger bracket is wrong (too looose or too big) then the can will be moving up and down as you ride slowly straining the metal pice holding the can to the rest of the system. Make sure it's tight once you've got it repaired
I think that was the problem ... i gonna try "Paul C" tip , and get some high temp resistante ruber to tight the can hanger !

And try my luck with blue flame for a new replacement end cap , maybe i even get blu eflame to sell me a high lvl link pipe

Thank for the reply's guys , you where very helpfull
Old 25-09-06, 07:37 AM   #7
Stormspiel

As Fizzwheel said...contact Rod.

I've had a full back system out of them ( Dual exit SS, High Link pipe, Bracket & Strap) after my can split for the second time. Turns out i had the wrong link pipe that was hanging the can too far back causing it to vibrate itself to pieces.