SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-17, 02:57 PM   #11
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Veganism

Agree with LPH. I'm not veggie or vegan, but I eat very little meat, and that's often only when I'm invited out to friends' places for meals. I also agree about pigs, easily as intelligent as a lot of dogs, sadly mistreated.

I do try to make it a balanced diet with the essential things, and in our society that's pretty easy. If in doubt eat veg, can't go far wrong. Nothing I like more than a good veggie pasta bake. If you also eat eggs and cheese that makes things easy, plus if you don't mind eating fish occasionally, even better.

Also to keep at my fighting weight (!) I simply change the portion size, it's easy to do. I usually weigh out stuff like pasta so just reduce it by 5-10% or so and you don't even notice, but overall can easily trim a couple of hundred cals a day off your diet. Once you get used to that size reduce it another 5-10%.

I agree we are omnivores, but we probably didn't eat a lot of meat originally, plus we only lived to 30 or 40 at best so didn't have a chance to develop the conditions and ailments we now suffer from in later life.

Good luck with the diet.
Old 15-01-17, 03:07 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Generally we eat way too much animal protein as we only need a few ounces a day. Trouble is with vegetable protein is it is lacking in some vital amino acids, the most complete one is Soya, but even that is lacking in some vital stuff, and soya also contains phyto-oestrogen which is an active female hormone that can have bad effects if you are a bloke. People associate eating of plenty of meat as a good lifestyle and a show of wealth, but it can be a lifestyle that kills you, eat a bit of everything and not too much of any one thing and you will be OK.

I would say pigs are more intelligent than dogs and also more brainpower than some people I have met, and better hygiene and manners.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-01-17 at 03:55 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 03:39 PM   #13
Red ones
Mega Poster

In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan is a fantastic book on this. It's not a pro vegan lifestyle book, not even pro vegan, but is a great review of our food and attitudes to it.

Eat little, mostly vegetables. Eat only food your grandmother would recognise and nothing that doesn't rot.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 06:10 PM   #14
Heorot

Quinoa has all the vitamins you need. Unfortunately it's not particularly appetising or cheap.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 09:20 PM   #15
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I would say pigs are more intelligent than dogs and also more brainpower than some people I have met, and better hygiene and manners.
Unfortunately if folk didn't eat them then they would be cleared from the land in order to grow vegetables and therefore would have no life at all. Sad but true.
Old 16-01-17, 09:56 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

That is true, also pigs gobble stuff down that would otherwise find its way into landfill, so pigs are good for the environment as well as tasting good.

Anything that can turn rubbish into a bacon sandwich has to be encouraged and looked after.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-01-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 16-01-17, 10:55 AM   #17
Trev B

Once heard a Jewish guy on the radio asked what would be his last meal and his reply was" a bacon sandwich,I have loved the smell of them all my life and never tried one,so if it's my last meal,why not" !!!
Old 17-01-17, 03:56 PM   #18
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I was vegetarian for many years, and as we have a self appointed six year old vegetarian, as well as Pegasus bordering in inclination, we don't tend to eat much meat.

I'll hazard a warning, don't join vegan Facebook groups or pages. Staunch vegans can be a particularly judgemental, callous bunch who will gang up and tear you to shreds if you don't fit their criteria. They can be extremely fanatical. Horrible lot in large quantities. I've known a few keep their veganism private, for fear of repercussions from their fellow followers!!
Also, fake stuff. Fakeon bacon etc. Be aware that it can be very fattening and bad for you . If you're going to change to a less meaty lifestyle, do it with actual food, and not some derivative made in a lab to substitute your taste for meat

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 17-01-17 at 03:59 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 04:15 PM   #19
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quorn. Invention of the devil and poisonous (at least to me - it's a guaranteed day of vomiting if I have the devil food)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 04:40 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Quorn. Invention of the devil and poisonous (at least to me - it's a guaranteed day of vomiting if I have the devil food)
Yup, most man made substitutes are worse for you than the real thing - as for fake bacon WTF ? Artificial sweeteners can do you harm as well, as they fool your body, just stick to the proper stuff and eat less of it.

One of my nieces was a committed vegetarian when she was about 7 or 8, (one of her many phases) we didn't know and had a barbecue with no vegie stuff in sight except salad, we convinced her that it was vegetarian chicken and she ate it, don't know how long her vegie phase lasted but next time we had a barbecue she tucked in just like everyone else.