SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-11-17, 05:36 PM   #1
Jferchal95

Question 1999 sv650 running problems

Hi guys, im new to the forum but will get straight into it...

I have a 1999 curvy completely stock apart from a delkevic stubby end can (no baffle). Now, over the past few weeks ive noticed that the bike has a sort of flatspot around 5-7k where the bike tends to hesitate slightly then pick up again after 7k. Just wondering if anyone has had the same kind of issues with their bikes and could shed some light on how they cured the problem. I kind of figured it might be the jetting now i have the more free flowing end can but i wouldnt know what jets to get to improve it or whether it could be something completely different???

Any response would be helpful, Jake.
Old 28-11-17, 06:21 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1999 sv650 running problems

If the end can is new and the problem has only arisen after you put it on then that is probably the issue, but if not then the bike possibly needs a service?Plugs,air filter and choke plungers spring to mind.
Old 28-11-17, 06:26 PM   #3
Jferchal95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
If the end can is new and the problem has only arisen after you put it on then that is probably the issue, but if not then the bike possibly needs a service?Plugs,air filter and choke plungers spring to mind.
Thanks for the quick reply dude!

The issue had ony started recently and i have had the end can for a few months now so it would see a little odd that it would affect it so far down the line if that makes sense, or i could be wrong? Its also had a service recently after the problem started and that has not solved the issue unfortunately, all fluids, cables, plugs etc. Im at a bit of a loss with it to be honest
Old 28-11-17, 08:46 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I've had 3 things which have made mine run badly in different ways. May or may not be relevant but FWIW .....................

1 Choke plunger sticking on one carb, shows up as running far too rich once warm, stumbling at idle and coughing at low revs
2 spark plug faulty. Strangely it would run under some load but not at idle/small throttle. After draining/resetting carbs (thought it was fuel related), I fitted some old plugs and problem solved, so just got a new set
3 Found engine really felt reluctant to rev properly. Found reg/rec (yes, our old friend) had popped its clogs and voltage wasn't getting above about 13.5V. Have yet to fix this as bike is now off road for winter.
Old 28-11-17, 09:05 PM   #5
Jferchal95

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I've had 3 things which have made mine run badly in different ways. May or may not be relevant but FWIW .....................

1 Choke plunger sticking on one carb, shows up as running far too rich once warm, stumbling at idle and coughing at low revs
2 spark plug faulty. Strangely it would run under some load but not at idle/small throttle. After draining/resetting carbs (thought it was fuel related), I fitted some old plugs and problem solved, so just got a new set
3 Found engine really felt reluctant to rev properly. Found reg/rec (yes, our old friend) had popped its clogs and voltage wasn't getting above about 13.5V. Have yet to fix this as bike is now off road for winter.
Interesting points there, im new to the forum but believe me im familiar with the whole reg/ rec faffery

Like i said earlier on it has had a service recently and all cables (choke plungers included) have been checked, cleaned and lubricated, aswell as all fluids and filters, so i dont think that would be causing the issue. I dont think the reg has ever been changed so i’ll have a look at that at the weekend and see if anythings amiss. ����
Old 29-11-17, 02:59 AM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

I agree with ember, RR caused bad running on mine
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-17, 10:18 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Try half a 250ml bottle of RedX or similar in a well filled fuel tank and go for a good high speed ride.It may well help but certainly won't harm.

Also get set to check and balance the carbs.

HTH
Old 30-11-17, 11:02 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Odds are it's the colder weather making it run even leaner. It'll be the loud can with no adjustments to suit. Loud = less restrictive = lean. Also check the carb heaters, these bike splay up in chilly (not necessarily freezing) weather if the heaters aren't working.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote