SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-06, 10:38 AM   #21
mburnstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepdoggydog
cheers for all the advice its much appreciated. I still haven't booked the day yet, but I'm already getting excited, I've got a couple more questions though - I think I'm gonna need to get some new tyres before the day, Diablo's have been recommended, as long as the track day goes well i will intend to do more over the summer, so the tyres need to be able to handle both track and road action, anyone got any advice? Next question is the Brands Hatch Indy circuit a good first time track or are there better ones (close to London)?

Cheers
Diablos are generally well thought of - there is a section on the forum for tyres (Hardware, Tyres) where you'll get the latest thoughts of people on all sorts of tyres. If you plan on doing several track days you'll be best off with a tyre at the sporty end of the spectrum rather than the road variants (eg 208RR rather than 208, Pilot Power rather than Pilot Road, or Diablo Corsa rather than plain Diablo).

As for tracks, there aren't many close to London, though if you're in the far north of the city then the tracks in the Midlands may not be much farther away than Brands. The indy track is very short (1.2 miles) and the proper superbike riders get round in less than 50 seconds a lap. But if you want to just try out a track environment, then have a look at Lydden. It's down off the A2 near Dover, is only a 1 mile lap, but it's extremely cheap (I paid just 70 quid for a Saturday last July) so it's a good place to check out if track riding is for you!
Old 24-04-06, 08:16 AM   #22
xj/frosty

Default tyres

If you are using the bike for trackdays Id strongly suggest you go to the Metzler combo A rennsport rear (med compound) and a soft compound racetech.
You'll go through 2 rears to every front.
They are basicly a slick on the last 1.1/2 inchof the tyre.
I'd recomend them over the pirelli's because the pirelli's tend to get a bit unpredictable when they reach the 2/3 worn mark.
Pressure wise I run 29 rear 27 front on a 25 degree day

That said if most of your track days are on a damp or wet track I'd suggest a swap to the michelen piliot powers. My r4easoning is i use them as an intermediate and was quite happy with them --they slide predictably
Old 24-04-06, 07:50 PM   #23
northwind
Mega Poster

I think most folks will be lucky if they outride a Sportec or Diablo (non-corsa) unless they take things very seriously... And they'll not have to worry so much about tyre temperature on short-session days either. They'll also have a much less interesting ride home if it rains If you're going to have a second set of wheel,s or change the tyres, then that's one thing, but those superstickies frankly suck ass for everyday riding...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-06, 08:00 PM   #24
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I think most folks will be lucky if they outride a Sportec or Diablo (non-corsa) unless they take things very seriously... And they'll not have to worry so much about tyre temperature on short-session days either. They'll also have a much less interesting ride home if it rains If you're going to have a second set of wheel,s or change the tyres, then that's one thing, but those superstickies frankly suck ass for everyday riding...
yep.

id go as far to say that the BT014 (a sticky road tyre) sucks ass for everyday riding,
esp in the wet or cold (this is england remember)

a BT020 (a touring tyre) will offer much more grip than most people on here would use on the road,

dont forget that the ashsalt of a track is super sticky anyway,

so i dont think it will matter what tyre you use, esp if this is your first time on the track.