SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-16, 06:04 PM   #731
tom_e

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
Are those Bibio's adjuster plates?
That caliper with the HEL hoses looks the nuts. Is the caliper new or refurbed original?
I cleaned the bike and sprayed everything that moved, didn't move, should move or shouldn't with SF365 and it appears to be wonderstuff. Just wish I'd started doing it 3 years ago...
Yep they're his little works of art, can actually rely on them to adjust the chain unlike the originals.
It's a refurb been blasted and repainted with new seals and what looks like a new piston as well.
I've got a set ready to go on the front as well along with the same colour braided line.
Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 06:14 PM   #732
Toooldtodie

Oh no. I can sense a disturbance in the force (my bank balance).
Someone has done a brilliant job... good for you.
Old 14-03-16, 02:55 PM   #733
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I thought I'd take the bike out for a run this afternoon. No such luck. Battery was flat as a pancake. The question is why as it's been fine all winter. Well after the last ride I reconnected the USB accessory charger to the battery, and I suspect that's been acting as a drain. So that's been dumped. It never had enough current to power my TomTom anyhow.

Last edited by admin; 14-03-16 at 05:20 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 07:06 PM   #734
yokohama

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that 'tinkering' is a complete misnomer. Maybe it's just me but any simple task just seems to meet complications and gets progressively more difficult.
I thought I'd replace my mini indicators this afternoon; LEDs and I've always thought they were fairly weak - about as incandescent as a lighted match - and wanted something more visible, particularly on bright days. Of course, the fixing bolts had fused with the nuts and become rust sticks. After faffing aound with mole grips and a hacksaw I finally got them off. Time to put the new ones on ...but they don't fit. 10mm bolts and the existing holes are 8mm. Drilled out the mounting holes to be left with lots of jagged metal. Do I have a file??? Nope... out to Wilkinsons to get a something to do the job and managed to smooth things off. By this time, it was getting dark so I put some hammerite on the bare metal and left it to dry overnight.
Time for a bottle of wine. Finish it tomorrow hopefully.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 07:51 PM   #735
RPM

Yeah that sounds like some solid tinkering!

Fitted rearset drop plates yesterday, had to cut undertray to allow rear brake res to MC hose some slack, extend the brake light spring with the only thing I had (a bent key ring split ring) then ran out of time.
Rode to the GF's place selecting gears out of thin air as didn't have time to mess with the linkage.
Then had to borrow a vice and hacksaw from the mechanics at work to cut down the linkage extender thread which was too long, in order to ride home with the gear shift in a place where my toe can actually find it.
Old 24-03-16, 07:59 PM   #736
Toooldtodie

Ah! The auld cry of DI Why did I even start down this path!
If it goes "to plan" you have to have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to go wrong very soon or cost a bloody fortune in the near future.
I am a happy man, with lots of night terrors!!
Old 24-03-16, 08:13 PM   #737
tom_e

I can't remember my last bit of tinkering that didn't involve some use of swearing, grinding discs or a hammer.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 08:53 PM   #738
Trev B

For anyone that tinkers,Halfords again have over 50% off some of their socket sets,not bad gear either !!!
Old 24-03-16, 11:27 PM   #739
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I thought I'd take the bike out for a run this afternoon. No such luck. Battery was flat as a pancake. The question is why as it's been fine all winter. Well after the last ride I reconnected the USB accessory charger to the battery, and I suspect that's been acting as a drain. So that's been dumped. It never had enough current to power my TomTom anyhow.
John. a USB charger left unplugged will draw a max current of 1ma if your lucky and should be 0, now take a battery thats 11a. it takes 1000hrs (41days) to drain 1a at 1ma. guaranteed your cmos in the clocks will take more than that to keep your time accurate.

so unless the device thats plugged into the USB charger is constantly on and drawing 1-2a the charger is not going to drain a battery.

i have been using the older version of THIS for about 4 years and its still going strong. mind you i do use one of my gizmo's for all my accessory's so i know its off when the ignition is.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-16, 08:40 AM   #740
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
John. a USB charger left unplugged will draw a max current of 1ma if your lucky and should be 0, now take a battery thats 11a. it takes 1000hrs (41days) to drain 1a at 1ma. guaranteed your cmos in the clocks will take more than that to keep your time accurate.

so unless the device thats plugged into the USB charger is constantly on and drawing 1-2a the charger is not going to drain a battery.

i have been using the older version of THIS for about 4 years and its still going strong. mind you i do use one of my gizmo's for all my accessory's so i know its off when the ignition is.
I think my USB charger was faulty. It was a very cheap looking item, similar to something you'd buy off eBay for a few quid although I paid a lot more from a UK bike shop. It never pushed out enough juice to keep my TomTom running so I reverted to using a battery bank tucked in my tank bag.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk