SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-05-23, 05:43 PM   #10941
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Fingers crossed for you Craig.

My gripe today is people who muck about with suspension settings on demo bikes. Went out on a Tiger Sport 660 today and thought it odd that I could barely touch the ground and the ride quality was shocking. Stopped after a mile and found the rear preloaded (the only adjustment possible) was wound all the way in! Thankfully it has a simple remote dial so it came all the way out again, the ride was then excellent, and I could just get the balls of my feet down. Unless the previous person was 25 stone I cannot image they had a nice experience on what was a very nice bike.
Old 14-05-23, 06:42 AM   #10942
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You might get away with it as your Speedo will over read.
Hopefully, or the van's crew were having a coffee .

For what it's worth, the Gen 3 speedo over-reads about 6 to 7% from what I can work out versus GPS (depending on how worn the front tyre is).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-23, 06:52 AM   #10943
Seeker
Mega Poster

Hope you will be ok, Craig. I've noticed that 32mph on speedo is either 28 or 29 mph on the roadside signs. Assuming they're correct (and they all seem to show similar) that's edging towards 10% error (max allowed?). Good luck, I hate the 2 week wait...
Old 14-05-23, 07:52 AM   #10944
Luckypants
Mega Poster

They seem to have the vans there a lot more recently, I think because the 40 itself is hard to police with the van. It won't be long before it has average speed cameras along there. The vans are also showing up at top and bottom of the Nant y Garth since it was made a 40 limit too.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-23, 12:37 PM   #10945
Craig380
Mega Poster

Do you remember when the Nant-y-Garth became a 40 limit? I went down there first week of April this year and I'm sure it was still NSL then. I was surprised to see the 40 signs yesterday, they looked fairly clean and new too.

Edited to add, Google Streetview from March this year doesn't show any 40 signs so it must be a recent change ...

Last edited by Craig380; 14-05-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 14-05-23, 03:00 PM   #10946
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Do you remember when the Nant-y-Garth became a 40 limit? I went down there first week of April this year and I'm sure it was still NSL then. I was surprised to see the 40 signs yesterday, they looked fairly clean and new too.

Edited to add, Google Streetview from March this year doesn't show any 40 signs so it must be a recent change ...
More and more of these 40 l Iimits are appearing and you have to ask yourself why? Has the risk increased such as new housing etc, usually not. Has there been an increase in accidents, maybe if it's a twisty fun road and people are throwing themselves into the scenery.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 14-05-23, 06:45 PM   #10947
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Several villages in Oxfordshire are now 20 limits... Utter pain in the proverbial on the commute as most people ignore it and get grumpy/tailgate when you comply.
Old 15-05-23, 07:05 AM   #10948
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post

It was 17th-19th April the signs went up, but the speed restriction order was made in 2021. The signs were put up when the road was closed for a few days for barrier replacement and fixing a retaining all for the stream that runs down the side of the road.

Last edited by Luckypants; 15-05-23 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Dates
Old 15-05-23, 07:15 AM   #10949
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
More and more of these 40 l Iimits are appearing and you have to ask yourself why? Has the risk increased such as new housing etc, usually not. Has there been an increase in accidents, maybe if it's a twisty fun road and people are throwing themselves into the scenery.
I actually do not know, but its actually quite hard to do more than 40 on that road in a car. I've passed a group of TVRs on my push bike down there! I would guess that they have had a number of times the barriers have been taken out by bikes, but also HGV and busses. The 40 might prevent bikes throwing themselves off but not the big vehicles. To be honest, a lot of bike prangs up there are due to the surface as much as anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Several villages in Oxfordshire are now 20 limits... Utter pain in the proverbial on the commute as most people ignore it and get grumpy/tailgate when you comply.
This September, all of Wales will have a blanket 20mph on restricted roads, which in effect means 30s become 20s. There has been a consultation and any anti-limit evidence has been ignored.... IMHO they have cherry picked the evidence from the studies to suit their agenda. The only blessing will be lack of enforcement.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-de...h-speed-limits

Old 15-05-23, 08:10 AM   #10950
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I would guess that they have had a number of times the barriers have been taken out by bikes, but also HGV and busses.

This September, all of Wales will have a blanket 20mph on restricted roads, which in effect means 30s become 20s. There has been a consultation and any anti-limit evidence has been ignored.... IMHO they have cherry picked the evidence from the studies to suit their agenda. The only blessing will be lack of enforcement.
Agreed re the 40 on Nant-y-Garth pass, the only two crashes I've seen there have been cars and trucks.

You've also answered a question I had re the blanket 20mph restriction, if it applies to anywhere that was previously a 30mph limit then that's clear and easy enough to follow.