SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 20-01-06, 09:19 PM   #1
loopy

Default French Advice

For France in June going into Roscoff got a week anyone got a route we would enjoy?Any tips would be great.or better still does anyone want to go were leaving from Nothern Ireland down to the south and across to France .
Old 21-01-06, 01:36 AM   #2
Jelster

I'm not quite sure whqat you're asking here. I take it you're taking the ferry to Roscoff, but where are you going once you get there ??

Old 24-01-06, 01:38 PM   #3
loopy

Were arriving in Roscoff from the rep of ireland .havent got a route planned,have you any ideas,this is my first trip to Europe by motorcycle.
Old 24-01-06, 05:18 PM   #4
Jelster

How long have you got, and are you going back via the same ferry port ?

Old 25-01-06, 08:37 AM   #5
loopy

Default french trip

We have a week and yes we return through same port.
Old 25-01-06, 11:21 AM   #6
Jelster

Not sure what time you dock, but I'll assume that it's about 10am.

Again, not sure if you want to travel form place to place or use a "base camp", as you are not close to all the really good roads, I'd move around a bit so you can sample the different areas that France has to offer. So:

Day 1 - Head down to Rennes for lunch, you should be there in a couple of hours or so. It's about 130 miles so you could do it on 1 tank of gas if you fill up before you get on the ferry. Then head down to Samur, it's about another 3 1/2 hours and again, you should do it on 1 tank from Rennes (about 120 miles). Stay here for the night, it's a nice town on the river Loire.

Day 2 - Head down to the "Limosin" area. Looking at my maps, you could try a route such as:

Samur to Le Blanc, pick up D10 to Saint-Benoit-du-Sault, Saint-Germain-Beaupre, pick up D14 at Colondannes and make your way to Gueret. (The roads get better from here) From there the D942 and D942A to Aubusson, D23 to Felletin, and D10 to Crocq.

Spend a couple of days riding around this area, I haven't been there myself, but from what I've read the roads are pretty good, and it's one of the least populated parts of France, so traffic should be light (but brush up on your French !)

From there find a suitable route back, remember that it's going to take you the best part of 2 days to get back to Roscoff.

Let me know how you get on, the French are very nice people, the food is great and the wine (especially in that area) is excellent.

Have fun.

Old 25-01-06, 10:02 PM   #7
loopy

Thanks for help i well let you know how we get on.