SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-05-07, 09:37 PM   #1
steveg

Question Looking for a new family pc

Hi ,
Looking for a family pc , not a gaming machine .
Dell is doing the following for 349 its got 50 quid off & double memory upgrade
seems a fair price for a dual core pc & 19 inch screen ?
What do u recon ?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...sftdppdesktop3

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:11 AM   #2
600+

Default Re: Looking for a new family pc

unless you are interested in the capabilities of the motherboard then I'd say go for it

it's just a family pc which with those specs will be plenty enough to browse the internet and create Office Docs
Old 12-05-07, 09:40 AM   #3
Jabba

Seems like good value, but if it were me I'd want to go for the OS upgrade to XP Pro rather than that Media Centre thingumy-bob. "Better the devil you know" in my case.
Old 12-05-07, 05:56 PM   #4
Moffatt666

Why not build your own? It's really not difficult and a complete newbie can do it in about an hour and there are guides in most computer mags too. You'll probably save money while you are doing it and most parts have lifetime warranties now too.
Old 12-05-07, 07:24 PM   #5
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffatt666 View Post
Why not build your own? It's really not difficult and a complete newbie can do it in about an hour and there are guides in most computer mags too. You'll probably save money while you are doing it and most parts have lifetime warranties now too.
That's fine until parts just don't work together...been there, done that! I work in IT so know a little bit more than the general public (I like to think!) yet it still happens, it's also happened to my brother. If you aren't able to debug why parts don't work together you may get stuck...
Old 12-05-07, 07:29 PM   #6
arenalife

Most PC's these days kick ass, it gets on my tits when I overhear sales persons telling people "yeah, this 1.8 gig machine will be ok for emails but for surfing and downloading you need a better spec machine".
Old 12-05-07, 07:37 PM   #7
DoubleD

I say go for the dell offer, I have so far got 5 desktops, 2 laptops and a printer from them and they have all been great machines.
Old 12-05-07, 07:48 PM   #8
chazzyb

I've just bought 3 Dell E521s for work. I spec'd them up a bit and everyone seems pleased (3 code-hackers, including me). AMD X2 5600+ CPU, 2 Gb RAM, 320Gb hdu, XP Pro, 2 x 19" displays on ATI X1300 Pro display adaptor. Nice!
Old 12-05-07, 08:09 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

At that price it'd be fairly difficult to do a quality homebuild inc software... The processor's a bit behind the curve but really who needs the latest thing? The graphics cards offered there would be a total joke for gaming, but that's OK for you. Hard drive's not big but fitting another is dead easy, specially in that chassis- it's got a great hard drive mounting system. Be warned though, the case can be VERY noisy, mine's developed all sorts of annoying rattles and hums, so now it's got bits of cardboard stuck in every crevice. Not a particularily quiet PC if it'll be in a living room either.

I'd maybe upgrade the screen to the widescreen- I had that screen on mine and it's pretty good, not all that sharp but it worked well. But for a lot of stuff, widescreen is just better.

What will you actually be using it for? Web, home office, video maybe?
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 12-05-07 at 08:12 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote