SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-18, 05:43 PM   #1
drunknmunky

Default Help please with non starter

Hi all,
Am begging help please, been out on the bike the last few days and it's been fine, even passed the mot yesterday!! (an 09 plate), gone to use it today and all of a sudden won't turn over. When I press the starter, I hear a high pitched buzzing noise but that's it.
Battery is fine, all fuses are ok, I'm somewhat stumped to be honest.
Many thanks in advance
Andy
Old 24-03-18, 06:47 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help please with non starter

I'm sure someone with better knowledge of your model will chime in but I've seen a couple of posts of high pitched whines coming from faulty fuel pumps.
Old 24-03-18, 07:07 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

check your battery terminals are tight.

does it have an alarm fitted?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-18, 07:08 PM   #4
andy650

Try and bump start it, that will quickly tell you if it is starter motor related, or something else.

2 guys, second gear and a hill if possible.

Post back results.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-18, 07:20 PM   #5
drunknmunky

Terminals are tight yes, and it does have a datatool on it but that appears to be behaving. Will try to bump start it tomorrow in the daylight and post back with results, thanks all.
Old 25-03-18, 04:20 PM   #6
drunknmunky

Ok, I tried to bump start it today and I got it coughing at me but not actually running, and it still won't turn over on the starter. Could potentially be an immobiliser issue so I'm going to get that checked over tomorrow (it has a datatool on it), although that appears to be behaving as it should. I'm somewhat annoyed as it was the best day so far of the year aswell today!!
Old 26-03-18, 07:47 AM   #7
Fen Tiger

Worth trying another battery as they can collapse at any age
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 08:19 AM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

Any fault code, or an FI indicated?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 07:17 PM   #9
Qkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunky View Post
Hi all,
Am begging help please, been out on the bike the last few days and it's been fine, even passed the mot yesterday!! (an 09 plate), gone to use it today and all of a sudden won't turn over. When I press the starter, I hear a high pitched buzzing noise but that's it.
Battery is fine, all fuses are ok, I'm somewhat stumped to be honest.
Many thanks in advance
Andy
Short answer:
The buzzing sound is usually either due to a low voltage in the battery or a bad ground connection. Check your grounds and make sure your terminals are not rusted.

Long answer:
It's the starter solenoid opening and closing at a high frequency. Stater solenoids usually contain a coil generating a magnetic field that operates a switch allowing a current to flow from the battery to the starter motor. The buzzing sound happens when the coil cannot maintain the magnetic field long enough for the solenoid switch to engage and the starter to do its job. Since you mentioned that the battery is OK, make sure your terminals are not rusted and the ground connection is intact.
Old 27-03-18, 02:15 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

the buzzing will be starter relay dropping in and out.

As the starter relay kicks in and puts power to the starter motor the starter motor draws a lot of power which drops battery voltage too low to keep relay energised, the relay drops out and disconnects the starter motor, the battery voltage now rises high enough to pull the relay back in, the starter motor draws power, the battery voltage drops, the relay drops out again - this will keep happening as long as you keep your thumb on the starter button........... The battery is FUBAR and cannot supply enough current (as batteries age the internal resistance rises which means more voltage drop INSIDE the battery for a given current and less coming out to do work). Could be high resistance at the battery clamps (if it is the terminals will get hot), but battery can fail at any time - if a battery has ever been allowed to go flat or stand in a low state of charge for a while it is stuffed.

If in doubt get a car battery and some jumper cables, which will supply plenty of juice.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote