SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-07, 04:18 AM   #1
Rimer

Default Replace broken gear lever?

Well, I bought me a used sv650s about three weeks ago right after getting a perfect score on the motorcycle driving test and getting my license. third time out on the way to work and (this is embarassing) on the way up a steep curved hill on the way out of my house, I stalled in second and had to put my foot down to come to stop on the steep curve. Unfortunately, it had just rained so it was slippery and my foot slipped out, laying the bike down relatively lightly (for a drop at a standstill). Final damage count:
broken off gear shift lever, smashed front left turn signal. Not bad for my first drop, judging from some of the posts I've just read...

Anyway, I ordred online from Ebay a replacement gear shift lever and they sent me an "Outlaw Racing GSXR Shifter". It's sweet looking, and the pry-bar is spring loaded (so it won't break on a drop as easily, yay), however the point at which the thin bar that actually does the gear changing attaches is on the OPPOSITTE side. Given the way those joints rotate, it may still work, but just wondering if anyone has ever seen this part and if it will work on a 2005 SV650S...

Additionally, I have no idea how to get the old one OFF... I hear you need a C-clamp remover or something... I searched other posts but didn't find anything dedicated to gear shift lever replacement.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 17-07-07, 03:56 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Replace broken gear lever?

Don't know the part you've got, but the removel is easy, 10mm bolt holding on the gear change shaft and remove the footpeg hanger (two allen bolt),

look on the back and undo the large allen bolt holding on the footpeg, and once removed the gearshift pedal will come away.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 11:51 PM   #3
Rimer

Thanks!
Old 18-07-07, 07:13 AM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Don't know the part you've got, but the removel is easy, 10mm bolt holding on the gear change shaft and remove the footpeg hanger (two allen bolt),

look on the back and undo the large allen bolt holding on the footpeg, and once removed the gearshift pedal will come away.

Cheers Mark.
Sorry Mark, have to correct you........

Thet changed the gear lever on the pointies.

Now its independant of the foot peg.

All you need is a pair of circlip pliers. Oh and a couple of 10mm spanners, and one of a size I cant remember, but about a 14 I think......

Undo the gear linkage rod from the old gear lever.

Take the circlip off the end of the rod that the lever pivots on and slide the old lever off.

Check how tight the pivot rod is, and tighten if you can - it is steel into alluminium, so dont go crazy, torque setting is in the manual available from the info part of this site.

Dab of grease on the pivot rod, slide on new lever and replace circlip.

Re-attach gear linkage rod and job done.

I know this as

1 - the bolt end of the pivot rod came loose from the bike on the way back from SELKENT one noght (and Law's did the same on a rideout about a week later)

2 - I had to replace mine after my little off at the beginning of the year....

Oh and I dont know if that lever will work on a pointy with the change in position of the lever pivot point, but let me know if it works, I had my eye on one myself and if its workable I would get one

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-07, 09:11 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Just ride the bike for another couple of hundred miles and the gear change will fall off of its own accord. Then fit your new one.

Only kidding, it's a bit of an in joke here as pointy levers often fall off early in the bike's life and Suzuki refuse to admit this/get a note sent to garages asking it to be re-torqued at the first service.
Old 18-07-07, 01:25 PM   #6
Rimer

Lovely. Well I have the rear set off and am working on acquiring a pair of c-clamp removers... I think I'll have it by then. I ordered another OEM replacement as well in case the first doesn't work. I'll post to let you know if it does or not.
Old 19-03-08, 03:31 PM   #7
thinman

so I've replaced my shifter and rod on a curvey model after a similar drop to above but a little faster. Problem is the shifter is too low and won't move even with the clutch lever pulled in? Could I have done more damage than I thought? back wheel is also stuck in place again even with the clutch pulled in. Any ideas?
Old 19-03-08, 03:35 PM   #8
Rimer

Sorry for not posting back, but I did eventually fix mine. I also had the problem of the rod it slips onto vibrating itself out of its socket a couple times. locktite fixed that problem...
Old 16-04-08, 11:00 AM   #9
ljharmitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post

Cheers Mark.
Didnt work for me, took it off seems like something is holding it inside. Ive hit it with a hammer and everything lol
Old 16-04-08, 10:53 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They can be annoying, dizzyblondes yellow bike was a pig for this, the levers were so stiff, I ended up using the big hammer method.