SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 08-11-17, 09:07 PM   #4311
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I had another go at sorting out the focus issue with one of Fujica GER rangefinders, I know you're supposed to do it at middle distance to infinity but I set it at minimum and will try a test film through it. Fingers crossed, I think it was back focusing before. I got a small lot of film off ebay, expired HP5, FP4 and SFX200.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:12 PM   #4312
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I still swear by doing it at short range, taping a focus screen from an SLR onto the film plane. I choose 5ft or 1.5m as it's an east distance. I'd be a little wary of using the minimum distance as I worry a little how accurate the scale or RF are at the extremes, but to counter that, I set the Olympus S at 1.5m and took a crisp picture wide open at minimum - 0.9m I think? I set the lens to minimum and moved back and forth until the RF spot coincided - you can't get any closer than that. I tried backsighting with the Ensign because I don't have a large enough focus screen and the split circle wasn't working so well with a slower lens (I think). It was fine but only works at infinity. Set the folding Contessa at 5' and it's a pig to adjust because of the gears, so in fact at 5ft the scale reads about 3" off. I checked it at a few distances up to about 15ft and the RF matched the lens collimation so I didn't worry about the slight scale inaccuracy. Best RF spot ever, it's so clear and the action is lovely, even if the camera itself is slow to use, the frame spacing was all to cokk, and I kept adjusting the shutter speed instead of the focus ring!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:00 PM   #4313
Kenzie

Well I am hoping that I did this right this time. I measured from the object I was focussing on to the film plane. If this still doesn't work then maybe I'll try the two cameras at infinity method with a cross on the focussing screen. If it still doesn't work then no worries as I have another!
Old 09-11-17, 08:42 PM   #4314
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It'll work. Did you use a split circle focus screen or something else? Did you use a magnifier to check how the image on the screen was?
Old 09-11-17, 08:58 PM   #4315
Kenzie

Yeah, used an OM 10 screen and a small magnifier. Only issue was that there isn't a bulb mode so by setting the iso low and covering the cds meter I could get a two second exposure. Had to keep winding and firing the shutter.
Old 10-11-17, 12:54 PM   #4316
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It's a PITA but I guess you just end up firing it 100 times until you're as sure as you can be.
Old 10-11-17, 06:29 PM   #4317
Kenzie

Yeah pretty much, shoot-view-tweak-shoot-view-tweak-tighten-view-its drifted-loosen-shoot-view-tweak etc..... Got a job lot of 120 film off ebay, HP5, FP4, SFX200 and Macophot UP25.

Last edited by Kenzie; 10-11-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 09:59 AM   #4318
yokohama

Not been around for a while, too busy. Illnesses and absence have meant lots of extra work.
The tooth is fixed and it feels like the guy did a decent job at less than NHS prices. Pollution is now getting serious though and I'm having to do the daily commute looking distinctly uncool in a mask.
Glad you managed to pick up a Kiev Kenzie, what do you make of it? Is it worth chasing one or are they not worth the hassle? Are they much of an advance on the Zorki?
I haven't used a camera for about a month until this week. Weekends have been either wet or grey and polluted. Went out with the Olympus digital in midweek and took some night shots which have come out quite well. Will try to do a few more. Today was sunny so I went for a wander with the X700 and managed to finish a roll of film. Another 4 weeks to go, including a week's holiday so hopefully a few more photo opportunities to come.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 03:33 PM   #4319
Kenzie

He's alive!!! So is it hazy and smelly then or just hazy? Can't imagine not being able to go out because of pollution. The Kiev I have is far from its best, I should have waited and got a proper working copy but tbh I find it awkward to hold, the RF mech is in a funny place although you can turn the lens as well. I think I find the Zorki 4 easier to use but I will need to shoot with the Kiev first but this is just impression from playing with it. My slow shutter speeds stick, but the shutter is really quite, so maybe a good street shooter. I may keep an eye out for another. Still another four weeks? Seems like a long time!
Old 12-11-17, 12:34 PM   #4320
Kenzie

I am starting to get an itch for a micro 4/3 or aps-c camera so I can mount some of my vintage glass on. Been looking at the Sony NEX 5 and maybe an Olympus Pen. I guess the OM-D would work too but a little out of my price range.

Last edited by Kenzie; 12-11-17 at 07:18 PM.