SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-06, 07:50 PM   #1
r4ce_e3nd

Default other cams and ignition advancer => less power...

Finally I had some time to check the horse powers of my curvy SV after installing the cam-mod and ignition advancer.

when I saw 73 bhp appear on the screen. The same as befor! And with a dip at mid rev's in the curve... Although I felt a boost at 7000 revs but that was the feeling of the boost after the dip...

My mechanic wasn't very enthusiastic about using cam's for a injection bike on a carburated bike because the shape of a cam of injection bikes is different than carburated bikes (less opening time) which means that this isn't a very good mod. He told me it would be cheaper and more effective just to regrind the old cams to new ones with an other timing etc... But now that is too late, I had to go for advice befor...

Now I have an SV with less power and less money in my pocket.
He told me he can get more bhp out of my SV by changing the carburation (because he is running too poor on fuel anyway) to gain 2-3 bhp but this is still not my expected 80 bhp.
Old 24-08-06, 08:02 PM   #2
sdusk

R4ce_e3nd, I can't comment on the mods as I have a pointy, but you are to be congratulated on following good practice and doing a dyno run before and after the mods.
Old 24-08-06, 08:05 PM   #3
Mike1234

Putting cmas from an injected bike in to a carb'd bike is common practice in the MiniTwins and usually gives a 2 - 3hp gain all the way through the rev range.

It won't affect the fuelling on your bike though so if it wasn't set up right before it won't be any better or worse now.

You didn't say whether there was any impact on the air/fuel ratio on your dyno tests. but it sounds like something is wrong somewhere, perhaps the cams were fitted incorrectly or maybe the ignition advancer has advanced things too far?
Old 24-08-06, 08:16 PM   #4
r4ce_e3nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdusk
R4ce_e3nd, I can't comment on the mods as I have a pointy, but you are to be congratulated on following good practice and doing a dyno run before and after the mods.
As I mentioned befor: I have the same power but a dip in mid rev's. (dyno run)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
It won't affect the fuelling on your bike though so if it wasn't set up right before it won't be any better or worse now.

You didn't say whether there was any impact on the air/fuel ratio on your dyno tests. but it sounds like something is wrong somewhere, perhaps the cams were fitted incorrectly or maybe the ignition advancer has advanced things too far?
I was thinking the same, because befor (a year ago to be exact) he did my dyno-jet stage 2 + k&N and this gave 73 bhp.

Now the engine is running poor at every rev and extreem at low revs. He was thinking about the clearance of the intake valves that is too low. Can be because I forgot to check the clearances after installing the cams...

He told me that If I didn't put he cams right (1 teeth to less or to much for example) this would result in a very bad power-curve and this one is just bad.
Old 24-08-06, 10:48 PM   #5
svrash

ok don't shout at me but is the advancer in the right way?
Old 25-08-06, 02:02 PM   #6
r4ce_e3nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrash
ok don't shout at me but is the advancer in the right way?
I think so...

with the lip to the left if you stand at te left side and the advancer is in top of the crank...
Old 25-08-06, 02:07 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

I would check the valve clearances 1st of all, at the same time you can check that the markers on the cams line up perfectly (any alignment issues will be fairly obvious.

I could be completly wrong but wasn't the mod generally something about putting the exhaust cam in the inlet side or something? (This is seriously down to my screwey memory)
Old 25-08-06, 02:19 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
I would check the valve clearances 1st of all, at the same time you can check that the markers on the cams line up perfectly (any alignment issues will be fairly obvious.

I could be completly wrong but wasn't the mod generally something about putting the exhaust cam in the inlet side or something? (This is seriously down to my screwey memory)
If you are using cams from K3+ bikes i think the timing marks did not line up at all so you had to use a diagram that is on SVrider or align up to TDC etc..blaaaaa. So it is possable that the cams are out of time by one notch.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-06, 05:04 PM   #9
r4ce_e3nd

I did forget to check the valve clearances when I installed the cams, maybee this is one reason.

My mechanic told me that if I would have put hte cams one notch wrong the bike would lose a lot of bhp so this is nog the case I think...
Old 01-09-06, 06:03 PM   #10
r4ce_e3nd

Now I checked the valve clearence my bike feels beter! (for the record: I did it in 3 hours :P )
One exhaust valve clearence was to small so I repaired that one. Also I noticed that the ignition candle of my back cylinder was not tihgtened! So that's maybee the reson I had a lack of power...

Now I have done a testride and it feels a lot better, but to be sure I will do a dyno-run next week. Let's hope it's better than befor.