SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-12-12, 09:30 PM   #31
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Incident screens to prevent accident rubbernecking - will they work?

you'll be better off getting the nearest 40ft lorries to block off the scene. They will be much closer to any incident

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 02:46 PM   #32
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Incident screens to prevent accident rubbernecking - will they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I'm a bit late into this discussion, but then I think that's going to be the problem with these screens.

The UK has around 3500 miles of motorway and about 100 sets of screens which can't be distributed evenly around that network. To keep it simple I'll assume they have to travel 25 miles to an incident.

Assuming the first police unit on the scene requests the screens when they arrive (around 10 minutes) and they are dispatched immediately (yeah, right!) by trailer at 50mph, that's somewhere around 40 minutes to reach the incident. By which time the opposite carriage way will already be jammed solid.

So, IMO, a complete waste of resources.

Keith.
We should have a poll

I vote Keith d
Old 01-01-13, 03:41 PM   #33
savage86

what if its windy surely they'd act like a big ole kite and topple over.
Old 01-01-13, 06:32 PM   #34
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage86 View Post
what if its windy surely they'd act like a big ole kite and topple over.
I think that's why there are flaps in the screens. Either that or they are planning to lease those spaces to curious motorists to help cover the cost of the screens.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 10:38 AM   #35
Mega Poster

Maybe they should just set up speed cameras and have them locked onto any whopper doing less then 40mph
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 11:07 AM   #36
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
What a boring design, they should jazz it up with a where's wally.

Good idea though.
Old 02-01-13, 11:47 AM   #37
Ceri JC

Simply film all accident scenes in HD and stick the footage in an easy to search format on youtube. This way, the ghouls can watch once they're safely home, as opposed to whilst driving 30 tonnes of artic lorry down the opposite carriageway.

Seriously though, do people really think there isn't more useful equipment the emergency services could be carrying in their loadout?
Old 02-01-13, 01:00 PM   #38
Peejous

I thought the flaps were part of a game where you put your arms through and try and guess the part of the body that's crushed by the car.
Old 03-01-13, 12:05 AM   #39
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Simply film all accident scenes in HD and stick the footage in an easy to search format on youtube. This way, the ghouls can watch once they're safely home, as opposed to whilst driving 30 tonnes of artic lorry down the opposite carriageway.

Seriously though, do people really think there isn't more useful equipment the emergency services could be carrying in their loadout?
There's a hard hitting safety awareness film on youtube...seriously not for the faint hearted. I found it extremely difficult to seperate reality from stunt acting...it's a very clever blend of cctv usage and other stuff (technical term). I'm not sure it's appropriate to post a link but a quick search - the one I saw had an Evanescence backing track - just search for car accidents awareness...
Old 03-01-13, 11:59 PM   #40
anna
Mega Poster

If nothing else if it stops young children seeing such horrific scenes on the side of the road then I am all for them.

Cant really see that they will do what they are intended for though.