SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-22, 08:22 PM   #2611
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I just need to get out and balance the carbs once the weather is a bit better.
By eye, ear, or vac gauge? Doing them on my old 380 triple was easy, I adjusted the slides by eye so they were all identical heights at idle and at maximum lift.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-22, 05:03 PM   #2612
DJ123
Mega Poster

Well yesterday, was adding some of the new bits to the 'new' bike; Headlight guard, Sidestand enlarger, number plate splash guard & frame protection guard.

Still to arrive is; front mudguard extender & rear mudguard extender.

Still on the list to order is paint protection film, radiator guards, & 2 x shock tubes.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-22, 07:32 PM   #2613
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
By eye, ear, or vac gauge? Doing them on my old 380 triple was easy, I adjusted the slides by eye so they were all identical heights at idle and at maximum lift.
I have some vacuum gauges Craig. Old, not very expensive, bit with Bib's vacuum extension kit, fitted a doddle to use and close enough.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 06:17 PM   #2614
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Well yesterday, was adding some of the new bits to the 'new' bike; Headlight guard, Sidestand enlarger, number plate splash guard & frame protection guard.

Still on the list to order is paint protection film, radiator guards, & 2 x shock tubes.
I bought some of that 'helicopter tape ' off ebay for the sides of my tank for protection against the knees when gripping, absolutely brilliant stuff tbh, really easy to cut to shape and really tough n durable and crystal clear too.
It was originally designed for the protection of helicopter blades ... hence the name. It feels really thick at first but there are three layers ... backing part, actual tape and once applied ... peel off the top layer and hey presto... fully protected.
Just thought I'd mention it.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 06:24 PM   #2615
gadget

Just fitted n wired up a 12v socket under the pillion seat so I can charge stuff on the go, fitted my carbon tank protector, fitted satnav mount to middle of the bars, modded a spare pilot light on my curvy 'S' to take one of those 'eagle eye' drl lights ... much much brighter! And lastly... wired up and fitted my heated grips.
All in a day ... well pleased.

Last edited by gadget; 01-03-22 at 06:26 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 07:16 PM   #2616
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I bought some of that 'helicopter tape ' off ebay for the sides of my tank for protection against the knees when gripping, absolutely brilliant stuff tbh, really easy to cut to shape and really tough n durable and crystal clear too.
It was originally designed for the protection of helicopter blades ... hence the name. It feels really thick at first but there are three layers ... backing part, actual tape and once applied ... peel off the top layer and hey presto... fully protected.
Just thought I'd mention it.
I have used it before on my MTB, but found it quite thick and not very pliable. Unfortunately the GS on the the areas i want to protect have various radius'!

So i have gone for a specific PPF kit with all the right shapes pre cut, and made from the self healing material

BMW F800ST
Old 01-03-22, 07:18 PM   #2617
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:

Today was the fitting of the;
front mudguard extender
rear mud guard extender
front shock tube
radiator guards

PPF is ordered and yet to arrive
Satnav mount is ordered/not arrived

And i think that's it . . . . . until i see something else shiny

Hoping to have it all done by the weekend, if everything arrives

BMW F800ST
Old 02-03-22, 09:47 AM   #2618
CheGuevara

Over the last few days I've:

- Greased and reinstalled the swingarm. Also drilled out the seized snapped bolt that was holding the front of the hugger in place.

- Installed the JP CNC rear axle adjusters. These are lovely. A bit heavier than stock, but they stay put and have a nice "click" adjustment. I haven't splashed out on a Harris stand yet, so have left the lift hooks off for now. Only wish I had a set of Bibio's adjuster plates to go with them.

- Reinstalled the newly rebuilt Nitron shock.

- Installed the Lextek exhaust (full system -still some tweaking to do as I'm not 100% happy with the positioning yet).

- Cleaned and painted the lower yokes (usual rust issue). Practically a boat anchor they're so heavy.

- Installed Koyo tapered roller bearings in the steering head (probably wouldn't have bothered except it was coming apart anyhow).

- "Installed" my BB plastics rear subframe (seat should be ready in in a couple of weeks). Need some better hardware for this actually - the included standard 8.8 bolts won't work (no way to get a socket/wrench on the head on the upper bolts) and the stock bolts are a bit too short. I also noticed the stock bolts are drilled through, which seems odd -surely not a weight-saving measure. Maybe designed to shear?

- Also want to do this (spring on the rear master) as it seems a bit more proactive when using rearsets. I'm told a clutch spring works (anyone got an old one they don't need?) -but I still need a cup to hold it (or maybe a valve spring retainer might work).

CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 06:22 PM   #2619
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Today was the fitting of the;
front mudguard extender
rear mud guard extender
front shock tube
radiator guards

PPF is ordered and yet to arrive
Satnav mount is ordered/not arrived

And i think that's it . . . . . until i see something else shiny

Hoping to have it all done by the weekend, if everything arrives
PPF is now fitted; wasn't as difficult as i was expecting (mostly)

Satnav mount still pending delivery. . . . . final big piece of the puzzle to say it's done for now

some more parts ordered

BMW F800ST
Old 06-03-22, 06:01 PM   #2620
DJ123
Mega Poster

1 week and 600 miles later, a wash was in need and a good coating of ACF50 to try and keep it looking fresh.

BMW F800ST