SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-03-22, 08:56 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default "It's not what you know..."

In this case it probably is. Gavin Williamson to receive a knighthood and, if you look into his background, one sentence that pops up is: "he knows where the bodies are buried".

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ga...ilings-1404274

https://news.sky.com/story/ex-educat...thood-12556701

Certainly this twice-fired minister who famously screwed up the A-level examinations during the pandemic didn't get a knighthood through merit.

I also note that our hardworking MPs (!) are getting a £2200 pay rise - I thought funds were tight?

Naturally, I wrote to my MP explaining what I thought about both issues (politely but maybe a little snidely )
Old 04-03-22, 09:48 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: "It's not what you know..."

He certainly got his gong to buy his silence (on the off-chance he could actually remember which bodies are buried and where, that is ....).

Unfortunately, MPs' pay is set by an independent body so cannot be blamed on MPs themselves, and many MPs are aware of how crass the timing is: https://www.theguardian.com/business...ise-next-month
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 10:04 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Unfortunately, MPs' pay is set by an independent body so cannot be blamed on MPs themselves
I remember the last time this happened (and made the news) when they got 10% whilst saying that they couldn't give nurses more than 1%. Many said they'd refuse the rise, I wonder how many actually did.
Maybe the independent body should look at all societal factors - if poverty is rising MPs shouldn't get a rise. A couple of Tory MPs actually say that they're underpaid.

...and then there's the alcohol problem:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...liament-2022-3
Old 04-03-22, 11:46 AM   #4
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
In this case it probably is. Gavin Williamson to receive a knighthood and, if you look into his background, one sentence that pops up is: "he knows where the bodies are buried".

Certainly this twice-fired minister who famously screwed up the A-level examinations during the pandemic didn't get a knighthood through merit.

Naturally, I wrote to my MP explaining what I thought about both issues (politely but maybe a little snidely )
Quote:
He certainly got his gong to buy his silence (on the off-chance he could actually remember which bodies are buried and where, that is ....).
Perhaps we should be writing to the Queen herself about this fairly blatant perversion of 'her' honours system? This sort of thing tarnishes all other similar awards and brings the whole system into disrepute.

If there are 'skeletons in closets' then they should be outed, not suppressed, if we're to avoid slipping towards greater corruption in office.

I still don't quite understand why people get such awards for "services to ..." when they have really only been doing their regular job. IMHO, it should be reserved for significant 'going beyond' type stuff or exceptional selfless acts. In cases like this, where there's known and visible evidence of underperformance in role, how can it be deserved? Shocking!

Last edited by Ruffy; 04-03-22 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation correction
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 02:29 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

As the saying goes, I have nothing but respect for the honours system ..... and precious little of that.

Sir this, Baroness that, quite frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn. They all eat, sleep, and poo the same as anyone else.
Old 04-03-22, 03:19 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:

Unfortunately, MPs' pay is set by an independent body so cannot be blamed on MPs themselves, and many MPs are aware of how crass the timing is: https://www.theguardian.com/business...ise-next-month

Quite a lot of public sector jobs are covered by independant pay revue bodies but few if any are actually independant. EG the NHS body has a figure given to it by the government and hey presto that is what it comes up with. The MP one is no different except the figure given is rather higher. I cant think how that happens.
Old 04-03-22, 08:16 PM   #7
yokohama

Williamson was completely inept. If he has any concept of integrity (doubtful), he'd turn it down. But I'm pretty sure he won't. Just more cronyism. Maybe Boris has been studying how Vladimir holds on to power.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 08:54 PM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Maybe Boris has been studying how Vladimir holds on to power.

"keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
?