SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-22, 09:10 PM   #2601
Ruffy

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
So, apart from bolts that require threadlock like Loctite ,wouldn't copper grease be suitable for stainless steel bolts if it stops corrosion and would therefore prevent the bolts 'welding' ? I am becoming confused
Yes, that's pretty much my general rule of thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
under normal circumstances yes but we are talking disc bolts and any for of lube is a risk of them coming loose. also people tend to use waaaayyyy tooooo much copper grease on things.
Bibio's right, it's can't be one answer fits all. The likely failure mode for the application is something to think about when selecting fastener materials. Personally I wouldn't use stainless steel for brake disc bolts (and similarly for brake caliper bolts and handlebar fasteners for example) - the risk of a stainless bolt failing in that application by snapping under stress worries me far more than a high tensile steel bolt vibrating loose a bit.

So, probably controversially, for those applications I tend to stick with OEM steel bolts (or maybe titanium upgrades if I could afford it) with copper, or magnesium, grease coating on the threads: The steel has better yield/tensile/shear properties so less likely to suddenly snap, the copper 'grease' is for it's anti-corrosion/anti-seize properties because I use and maintain vehicles in a real world all-weather shed/driveway where rust etc. is a right royal pain to deal with. (Definitely not intended as lubrication though - they're not supposed to be moving parts!)

Sometimes I may wipe the end and add some threadlock (that, yes, I know may be less effective if it mixes with the copper grease but I hope I will eventually learn of any seriously loosening bolt by periodic/pre-ride visual checks before it becomes life threatening). But I'll be honest and say that generally I don't obsess about using threadlock. If vibration loosening or shake-out is such a huge worry in those circumstances then I'd argue it's time to break out the lock-wire tools like racers do.

At the end of the day it's a risk trade-off, of fastening integrity vs maintenance convenience, so choices and solutions may vary.

[I hope this helps with understanding but I feel obliged to add a disclaimer to say I'm not a qualified mechanical engineer or metallurgist (though I do have a professional engineering background in a different discipline) - this is just my experience and opinion so never blindly follow my 'rules': There are significant safety implications with this so please think about the the issues, conflicts and trade-offs and form your own judgements. And if I'm really wrong, please let me know, and why!]
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-22, 09:15 PM   #2602
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I might have strayed from the original post but I was referring to stainless steel bolts generally not brake disc bolts specifically.
But it would seem the only advantage of stainless steel bolts is the exposed heads should not rust (unless it is a s/s bolt and s/s nut situation ) ...
I now fear my previous lengthy post may have ended up 'teaching you to suck eggs' somewhat - sorry!

You're probably right - the upside benefit of stainless is its corrosion resistance. Not to be underestimated how useful that can be in some environments but stainless steel is not without other more negative considerations.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-22, 10:14 PM   #2603
svenrico

Thumbs up Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I now fear my previous lengthy post may have ended up 'teaching you to suck eggs' somewhat - sorry!

You're probably right - the upside benefit of stainless is its corrosion resistance. Not to be underestimated how useful that can be in some environments but stainless steel is not without other more negative considerations.
Your previous lengthy post summed it up well I thought, particularly 'the copper 'grease' is for it's anti-corrosion/anti-seize properties ', which answered my earlier query .

Last edited by svenrico; 09-02-22 at 10:19 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 05:24 PM   #2604
CheGuevara

Filed down my over-priced castellated socket and got the corresponding swingarm nut off.

Thought I might tackle the yokes (getting new bearings and going to give the lower a coat of hammerite to hide the rust ) before the newly-cartridged forks go back in. Removed the top yoke, nuts and shims/washers. Thought to myself "Hmmm should be dropping out now." and then remembered I've got the front stand on (pin in the lower yoke)! Numpty.

So that's on hold until the shock comes back from servicing now, as apart from the front stand, it's balancing on axle stands on the pegs. This is probably where an abba stand or similar might be useful. I CBA to mess about with ratchet straps to the joists.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 06:40 PM   #2605
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Sounding more and more like a trip to Bristol to borrow some bits would have been worth it. I could have lent you an Abba Stand with swingarm removal kit, front lift and the swingarm socket.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 08:53 PM   #2606
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Sounding more and more like a trip to Bristol to borrow some bits would have been worth it. I could have lent you an Abba Stand with swingarm removal kit, front lift and the swingarm socket.
Haha cheers, but that's about a 300 mile round trip. With my truck that's probably half the cost of a new abba stand these days

To be fair filing the socket was maybe 10mins of effort, and the nut itself came off nice and easy (long facom "palm control" ratchet, so no hint of the socket slipping).
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-22, 11:48 AM   #2607
DJ123
Mega Poster

Today's task was reverting the Bike back to standard, taking off all my extras before it gets traded in next week.
All looks a bit naked & plain now, with all of it removed.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-22, 12:48 PM   #2608
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Not today but a few days back when we had a couple of hours of sunshine between the showers. Washed the crud off the bike and treated the old girl to a thorough coating of ACF50. Looking much better now, but I might wait till the weather clears up a bit before I ride it again!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-22, 04:02 PM   #2609
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Not today but a few days back when we had a couple of hours of sunshine between the showers. Washed the crud off the bike and treated the old girl to a thorough coating of ACF50. Looking much better now, but I might wait till the weather clears up a bit before I ride it again!
Likewise, on Friday I replaced the plugs on mine, cleaned the air filter and breather sponge, lubed the throttle and STV linkages with PTFE spray etc. Hopefully ready for a midweek spin out once the monsoons have passed ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-22, 05:56 PM   #2610
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Likewise, on Friday I replaced the plugs on mine, cleaned the air filter and breather sponge, lubed the throttle and STV linkages with PTFE spray etc. Hopefully ready for a midweek spin out once the monsoons have passed ...
I just need to get out and balance the carbs once the weather is a bit better.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote