SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 08-07-21, 04:43 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Low-cost comfy seat solution for Gen 3 bikes

Anyone that has a Gen 3 will know the factory seat is a plank. I picked up a tip chatting to a V-Strom owner a couple of weeks ago, he had a 'Sit & Fly' seat cover and I asked him about it.

It's like a stretchy, springy mesh that covers the seat and fastens with velcro.
The mesh lets air circulate under your bum and thighs so they don't get sweaty and the springiness adds a lot of cushioning.

I've done a couple of 150-mile rides on mine now and the difference is striking:
my @rse didn't go to sleep (which it used to) and I wasn't constantly shifting around to relieve pressure and aches.

Best of all, it's $27 (£21) INCLUDING postage from Israel. Mine took 5 days to arrive. The small (S) size works fine on the SV seat, it stretches just right.

https://www.sitandfly.com/
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:12 PM   #2
svenrico

Default Re: Low-cost comfy seat solution for Gen 3 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Anyone that has a Gen 3 will know the factory seat is a plank. I picked up a tip chatting to a V-Strom owner a couple of weeks ago, he had a 'Sit & Fly' seat cover and I asked him about it.

It's like a stretchy, springy mesh that covers the seat and fastens with velcro.
The mesh lets air circulate under your bum and thighs so they don't get sweaty and the springiness adds a lot of cushioning.

I've done a couple of 150-mile rides on mine now and the difference is striking:
my @rse didn't go to sleep (which it used to) and I wasn't constantly shifting around to relieve pressure and aches.

Best of all, it's $27 (£21) INCLUDING postage from Israel. Mine took 5 days to arrive. The small (S) size works fine on the SV seat, it stretches just right.

Interesting. It hardly looks thick enough to provide much padding !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 08:11 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

It doesn't look thick enough, you're right. But my @rse is much happier!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 11:43 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i scooped my seat out and fitted an air cushion on my touring seat. its lovely jubbly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 01:40 PM   #5
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i scooped my seat out and fitted an air cushion on my touring seat. its lovely jubbly.
What touring seat is that ?
Old 14-07-21, 03:20 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i do apologise as my bike is a K7. basically i scooped the seat out (so no height increase as i'm vertically challenged) and fitted an air pad. i call it my touring seat. some people complain that they dont like the detached feeling under their bum but i dont find it a problem.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 10:57 PM   #7
svenrico

I fitted an inflatable dimple type seat cushion that I was given to try by my brother but found it seemed to sort of exaggerate the angle of the existing seat putting pressure on the testicles which I didn't like. He also gave me one of those stretchy spring rubber mesh covers to try but it is xxl size and too big. I will purchase one of the mesh covers in a small size and try that. I am getting on a bit better with the gel insert in the seat although I usually need to stop for a comfort break for other reasons anyway !
Old 09-08-21, 04:34 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post

Great post, off to order one now....

Update, could not pay this supplier via Paypal with credit card as a guest as I normally do ( do not really want a Paypal account ) so could not complete the order, the supplier sent me an email saying I had not completed the order and I replied and told them why, have heard nothing else.. see new post one below this one, ordered a different style ( single seat ) from Ebay ( never carry a pillion passenger anyway) .

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-08-21 at 03:43 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 09:03 PM   #9
svenrico

There are several of these rubber mesh type seat covers on ebay now (might be Amazon I forget ) for a few quid. Keep meaning to order one.
Old 16-08-21, 10:17 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I got one of these ( arrived today ) https://www.ebay.co.uk/ipp/124819827...2047675.l48352

The 2 xelasticated straps with velcro to fit it to seat were a lot too long ( the two halves of velcro do not align ) but I can shorten the straps by sewing them into a loop, attached PDF is a photo of the pad on my AL7 seat, have not ridden on it yet ( rain due here today ), so will not know if it moves around ( the part that touches the seat is very grippy ) or how comfy it is, but will update after a ride. Pad is about 10mm thick and will at least let air circulate through the mesh.

Update, just done a 90 miler and am impressed with the seat pad, noticed my bum felt cooler even after a few miles, and did not have the urge to shuffle around on the seat that i normally get. Felt 'planted' on the seat and did not keep sliding down to the front. Did shorten straps, and because the front straps line up with the two nylon location hooks under the seat I made up a couple of aluminium ( 8mm x 1mm strip I had ) straps to screw into seat plastic base with short self-tappers and pin the elastic seat straps out of the way. Seat pad did not move at all during the ride, and the roads were nice and twisty....

I would say not at all bad at all for £10.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2021-08-16 suzuki sv650 mesh seat.pdf (101.2 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-08-21 at 11:18 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote