SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-22, 02:47 PM   #1
Bumble Bee

Default 2000 s & N throttle cables

Hello folks, I am considering doing the Handlebar change, 1st question is will the 2000 (Carburetta) SC650N cables fit on the SV650S? Thus getting the additional length? Any tips on this project would be really appreciated.
Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-22, 08:30 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2000 s & N throttle cables

I haven't done it (most of my answers start this way ) but a quick search shows that there isn't a definite answer as to whether you need to swap the cables...
http://forums.sv650.org/archive/index.php/t-212910.html

It seems dependent on how your new bars sit but it says in the link that the N cables will fit the S which answers your question.

I thought I remembered reading about a problem with the electrical cable length for the switchgear and possibly the brake lines though? Maybe someone who knows what they're talking about can help with that...

oh, and welcome...
Old 20-04-22, 01:25 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

buy a naked instead...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-22, 07:24 AM   #4
gadget

I've converted my 99's to bars by drilling the top yoke and fabricating reinforcement plates from 6mm alloy and laminating them in on the underside using carbon fibre and resin. I've used 2 inch sloping back risers, ABM superbike bars which on full lock only fouled the 'ears' of the 'S' screen so I trimmed those off for clearance. I retained the original 'S' throttle cables ... just re-routed them through the right side of the frame ( no issues of tightness or snagging at all). I used Suzuki DR 650 clutch cable as it's a direct fit but with a more gentle radius at the lever so it doesn't rub on any frame parts on it's way to the clutch slave lever. I've had no issues with handlebar electrics/cables either.. plenty of slack from lock to lock.
All in all it was a really easy and relatively straightforward conversion and everything works faultlessly, I had brake lines made up too as I wanted to retain the splitter. Much better riding position and tbh it encourages me to ride much further.
Hope this helps. Btw ... I removed the electrical cable wire holder under the ignition switch in order to get much more slack for the switchgear and give it all better routing.

Last edited by gadget; 21-04-22 at 07:37 AM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-22, 08:02 AM   #5
Bumble Bee

Thanks for that Gadget, Did you have to replace the brake lines and how did you mount the master cylinder?
Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-22, 11:50 AM   #6
bikerbaker

Following with interest as they say...
I was going to post a general question about S to straight bars but hope I can hijack this.

I'm 70 and TBH not ridden my SVSs much recently although did manage 80 miles yesterday with very little ill effect.

I have K1 and K6 S models and want to put straight bars on one of them, don't really mind which. As I'm lazy would the K6 be easier or harder than the K1?
bikerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-22, 05:22 PM   #7
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
Thanks for that Gadget, Did you have to replace the brake lines and how did you mount the master cylinder?
Hi, yes ... I had the new braided brake lines made up at my local bike shop as I wanted to retain the original front brake splitter ( just my preference tbh). The original 'S' reservoir line was about 4 inches too short to reach the ABM superbike bars. They cost £55 custom made with adjustable angled stainless fittings, e'bay do stuff like that but I preference to deal with the person making them face to face.
I used the original reservoir bracket but mounted it on one of those m10 alloy handlebar mirror mounts, all I had to do to the original bracket was elongate the 'small' hole so the reservoir sat at the correct angle.
As said previously... it was all a really easy and relatively straightforward conversion, wish I'd done it a year ago!
If you want ... I can send you plenty of pics of the conversion if you can give me a contact number ... ie.. WhatsApp etc. I've tried countless times posting pics of what I've done to my SV but for some reasons I just can't get it sorted. !
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote