SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-05, 08:15 AM   #1
thor

Default Filtering on Motorways

On 3 lane ones, between which lanes should one filter? Does it matter? Up to what speed should one filter if the traffic is moving slowly?

Thankfully on motorways people have the sense not to open doors when the car is stationary.
Old 05-04-05, 08:50 AM   #2
Mr Toad

The perceived wisdom (!) regarding filtering is that it is a very grey area, and ideally your overtaking speed should be approx 20mph above that of the traffic being passed, so if they are stationary, you should be going no faster than 20mph. Should you have an accident, even if it isn't 'your' fault, ie car suddenly turns right on you, your insurance provider is likely to go for a 50/50 settlement, so you you'll probably have a fight on your hands getting them to back you.

For moving traffic, I'd stick to lanes 2/3, unless the inside lane is empty, which it often is.

Once things start to get moving at a good lick, I'd say you're no longer filtering, but over/undertaking This can of course be done at any speed you like, as long as the gap is big enough, and there is no sign of Mr Plod . . .

The best piece of advice given to me was -
If you have to think "Can I make it", you probably shouldn't try to
Old 05-04-05, 08:55 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Default Re: Filtering on Motorways

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Thankfully on motorways people have the sense not to open doors when the car is stationary.
I really wouldn't rely on that

As Lee says, if lanes 2/3 are rammed and 1 is clear, just undertake, it's safer than filtering and provided you aren't doing it excessively fast/causing a problem for other road users, you're unlikely to get in trouble for it.
Old 05-04-05, 08:58 AM   #4
thor

If all the lanes are as rammed as each other? Between 1 and 2, or 2 & 3? What about the space between 1 and the hard shoulder? I guess that's a no no...
Old 05-04-05, 08:59 AM   #5
thor

Default Re: Filtering on Motorways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
I really wouldn't rely on that
You are absolutely right - that was a stupid idea wasn't it?
Old 05-04-05, 09:03 AM   #6
thor

Thanks guys - they never talked about this on the DAS. After I get my bike and ride for a couple of months I was thinking of taking some advanced training to ask these sorts of questions. Maybe I can just ask you lot instead!
Old 05-04-05, 09:18 AM   #7
jonboy

Get the advanced training anyway, it will genuinlely help.

Old 05-04-05, 09:32 AM   #8
thor

Yeah, I'll get Keith at metropolis again. He was insanely critical - really got me into shape, top stuff.
Old 05-04-05, 09:44 AM   #9
SVeeedy Gonzales

And keep a good eye out ahead when filtering! Sometimes you can see a blockage - e.g. two large vehicles and not enough room to filter between them, so switch as soon as you can to filtering between the other two lanes and avoid getting stuck. Often have to do this coming into London and you'd be surprised at the number of bikers who just sit there waiting for the gap to open up, rather than moving over to the other filtering lane which is clear.
Old 05-04-05, 09:52 AM   #10
thor

Oh I do a lot of filtering in London, and it's definately a good idea to hang back. On my scooter I routinely leave big bikes behind in the traffic.