SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 26-09-07, 02:57 PM   #1
Lugusto

Default Headlight unit for 2000 650S

Hi folks, i have recently bought a lovely W reg blue SV650s, however it was originally a french bike and has the headlight dipped the wrong way. This has previously been remedied by some gaffer tape on the front of the light to angle the beam differently.

It works but i'd like to get hold of a replacement UK spec headlight unit to replace it with. The current unit is fully funcional and in perfect condition. So if anyone has a good one they would like to sell i'm all ears.
Similarily i supose i could also do a swap with someone somewhere on the other side of the road that are in the opposite of my position.

There's one currently on Ebay but is selling for around £100 and in that case i'll stick with my gaffer tape!

Thanks.
Old 27-09-07, 01:48 PM   #2
Jester666

Default Re: Headlight unit for 2000 650S

Thats the price they go for. A new one from Spares Direct is £165.
Old 02-10-07, 01:09 PM   #3
Lugusto

Default Re: Headlight unit for 2000 650S

Well i've just noticed, that the current headlight unit uses very odd bulbs and fittings (not H4), i cant be bothered to get them out to find out which they are, but they seem to be held in with screws and a sort of spring retainer?

They also only have 2 pins each. The left low beam light connects to the loom via 2 seperate small plugs, and the high beam on the right uses a standard 3 pin square plug using just both side plugs, there is no wire to the top plug, as there is no pin on the bulb.

The dipped beam lens has a clear front end where you can see a convex domed reflector unit inside, like you get on some car headlights.

What sort of bulbs are these? I've looked on the internet and i cant find the type.
If i get a UK spec headlight will the plugs on the loom still be suitable?
Thanks.