SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 14-05-09, 09:02 AM   #11
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pilot power vs pilot road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
but has an awesome tread design,
Whats so awesome about the tread design?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 12:04 PM   #12
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I have PR2 2CTs on my 600rr and they have been excellent. Done 4000 miles on them and I reckon there is probably another 3k on the rear. They are quite expensive, but the mileage offsets the cost. They have been excellent in the dry right up to the edge and they do get pushed quite hard. I have had NO moments at all in the dry.

In the wet they are very good. I rode out with MattSV and he was on a 1050 sprint with BT020's (I think). It was a bit damp and I thought he was just being cautious. However, he said that he was pushing as hard as he dare as they felt like they were going to wash out. The PR2s felt incredibly sure footed, the only thing upsetting them was overbanding and drain covers.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 12:51 PM   #13
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
In the wet they are very good. I rode out with MattSV and he was on a 1050 sprint with BT020's (I think). It was a bit damp and I thought he was just being cautious. However, he said that he was pushing as hard as he dare as they felt like they were going to wash out.
I'd say that BT020's are a really bad choice for the Sprint ST. I'd never even consider putting them on a bike like that. I've never used anything but Pilot Powers on my S3 1050 and they've stayed gripped where lesser tyres would have given up. I used to use BT020s on my Ducati ST2 and they have far less grip than the Pilot Powers. I dropped the Duke several times because the tyres lost grip, but I've never dropped the S3 in 4 years of mad riding. IMO cheaper tyres are a false economy, as the Pilot Powers have probably saved me a fortune in insurance excesses and premium increases.
Old 14-05-09, 08:54 PM   #14
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I never had my knee down (never had leathers and knee pucks) but got peg down on a few occations and was same with the chicken strip. Really a 150 might be better if anyone does one...

I had a PR2 rear and PP front and that worked great.

As for trad pattern I think my new Roadsmart is better and worse, I think the PR2 is better for centre but the roadsmart for edge grip as its slick ont he edge, great for big lean in the dry and you wont get that far in the wet...
I've seen the edge of the roadsmart and think you'd have to be on the track to get near it on an SV. But that's just my opinion. I've seen the Roadsmart fitted on several bikes and noticed very steep shoulder wear.. Granted it was on a Z1000 that had done a trackday but it's still food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Whats so awesome about the tread design?

Last edited by Jamiebridges123; 14-05-09 at 08:56 PM.
Old 14-05-09, 10:06 PM   #15
Berlin

The profiles of the PR2 and the Pilot Powers are completely different and I find it easy to reach the edge of the pilot powers on the rear. I'd find it much more difficult to reach the edge of a PR2 as the profile is curved at the edge.

Do you need the PP 2CT? You will if you just buy PP's. You'll always be wondering "what if I'd got the 2CTs"?

Having hooned them, I'd buy the 2CT back and front next just to see the difference. The front on mine (CT2) is rolled up like a track day tyre and is *much* stickier to the touch when I get back from a ride than either the centre of the front or all of the non CT2 rear.

Go for the PP CT2's and give them hell! You'll run out of ground clearance very quickly on them. They'll flatter the suspension too.

Looks Like I'll be on Mezeller race scrubs next but definitely PP 2ct's after that.

C
Old 14-05-09, 10:23 PM   #16
Jamiebridges123

Are you talking about the PP's on your Hornet or on an SV? SV's are known for not being able use all the tyre. Equally so on my ex Z750 I could use all the tyre yet on the SV, riding the same on the same roads I'm left with half an inch or so either side.
Old 14-05-09, 11:22 PM   #17
ThEGr33k

On the falco Ive got to the edge of both the PR2 and the Roadsmart. Easier on the roadsmart though it seems Thats with the same PP front. Infact ive worn the numbers off of the edge of the right side of my rear now... Getting on quite well with my hybrid set-up.

Right about the Sv though, you wont use the whole of the back... I used all the front on mine and still had about 15mm chicken strips on the rear.
Old 15-05-09, 07:23 AM   #18
Berlin

Sorry that's the Hornet. I got to the edge of Conti Roat attack rear on the SV.

Out of interest, What's the width of the rear rim on an SV?
Old 15-05-09, 07:27 AM   #19
Berlin

Old 15-05-09, 07:30 AM   #20
Berlin

C