SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-13, 08:13 PM   #11
TheRuffellator

Default Re: Pointy buying advice?

Sv's are mint for filtering, I find I can squeeze into really tight gaps with no problem... Ahem Also they're surprisingly smooth for a twin, and moving from a naked bike to the faired Sv I definetly prefer the fairing!
Old 03-05-13, 10:03 PM   #12
js1992

Thank you Tony good bit of advice its seeming more likely to be the sv to be honest just need to sit on one and see how I feel I also think you do need a certificate invade police pull you over for proof no its all about the pointy ha
Old 04-05-13, 07:57 AM   #13
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1992 View Post
I also think you do need a certificate invade police pull you over for proof
If you use the restricted ECU then maybe the invoice for the ECU would do would it? The restricted/unrestricted ECUs have different part numbers, so if they really wanted they could have a look and see what's fitted. Or if it's a second hand ECU then pay the dealer a couple of quid to fit it and give you and invoice for "fit 33HP ECU part number XXXX serial number YYYY". Keep a copy under the seat. Ideally do you know a friendly policeman who could find out what they'd expect to see?

(God, the hoops you guys have to jump through nowadays. Glad I took my test when I was 17, on a Honda 50 of all things)

By the way, 33HP CBR600F doesn't sound too clever unless you've heard otherwise.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 08:26 AM   #14
TheRuffellator

I'm on 33bhp *cough cough* and my insurance have never asked for any proof, I think it's just on the understanding that I'm ****ed if I get caught without it fitted haha. You could get it dyno-ed and just keep a copy of the print out under your seat? I think a dealer would charge you something stupid for what's basically undoing 4 bolts connecting the ecu and printing out a piece of paper...
Old 04-05-13, 09:45 AM   #15
js1992

Smile Re: Pointy buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
If you use the restricted ECU then maybe the invoice for the ECU would do would it? The restricted/unrestricted ECUs have different part numbers, so if they really wanted they could have a look and see what's fitted. Or if it's a second hand ECU then pay the dealer a couple of quid to fit it and give you and invoice for "fit 33HP ECU part number XXXX serial number YYYY". Keep a copy under the seat. Ideally do you know a friendly policeman who could find out what they'd expect to see?

(God, the hoops you guys have to jump through nowadays. Glad I took my test when I was 17, on a Honda 50 of all things)

By the way, 33HP CBR600F doesn't sound too clever unless you've heard otherwise.
That's sounds a good idea didn't think of that just buy the part and get someone to fit it with proof of fitting it I hope i can find one that I like I have seen a lovely grey one
Old 04-05-13, 12:06 PM   #16
rictus01
Mega Poster

single best bit of buying advice..... take someone with you who knows what they are looking at.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 03:19 PM   #17
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Never ridden a cbr but the gxx650f is alright. quite weird as its a fully faired bandit with a slightly more forward riding position than a bandit. engine was nice and smooth with alright grunt through the range. dont know how it would fair being restricted though.

the sv is brilliant as a commuter, as others have said its quite skinny so filtering is a joy just be careful! from what i have heard the restriction on the sv doesnt really effect it till the top end so unless you are blatting it at 70+ it wont make much difference. And as that is the maximum speed you will ever be going, ahem, its not a problem!

What ever you decide on have fun and ride safe!
Old 04-05-13, 05:38 PM   #18
js1992

Talking Re: Pointy buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Never ridden a cbr but the gxx650f is alright. quite weird as its a fully faired bandit with a slightly more forward riding position than a bandit. engine was nice and smooth with alright grunt through the range. dont know how it would fair being restricted though.

the sv is brilliant as a commuter, as others have said its quite skinny so filtering is a joy just be careful! from what i have heard the restriction on the sv doesnt really effect it till the top end so unless you are blatting it at 70+ it wont make much difference. And as that is the maximum speed you will ever be going, ahem, its not a problem!

What ever you decide on have fun and ride safe!
Yes I never break the speed limit just nice to be able to speak to you guys and hear what you have to say as you all well most have one and can give me a good review of what they are like can't wait till I see the one I want at the right price
Old 04-05-13, 06:24 PM   #19
js1992

Another question how much is the tax for the year on a sv650 and what are you guys paying for insurance I am 21 with 3 years no claims but only 1 year since I passed my full test getting quotes of £500 is this reasonable
Old 04-05-13, 06:27 PM   #20
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Pointy buying advice?

Tax is £77 I think for the year.

Can't comment in insurance as mine is extortionate due to claims history!