SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-05, 01:17 AM   #1
Junior

Default Fork spring question....

Greetings from a winter wonderland!

I have a technical question regarding fork springs. I recently bought some race-tech springs (gently used). The rate is .85 kg. Here is my question. What would be a good weight fork oil to use with that spring?

The previous user weighed 230 lbs, and was using 20wt oil.
I weigh 170 (without kit, probably closer to 180 with kit)

I'll also be running a 99' GSXR750 rear shock. I realize that suspension set-up is not an exact science. I am just looking for a good place to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(I tried e-mailing Race-Tech to ask, but was unable to find a working website)

Cheers
Old 06-01-05, 05:41 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

10wt is standard and some feel the need for 15wt, but I'd say 20wt was a bit over the top.

It's probably more important you get the spacer right (adjustment for sag).

Racetech are at http://www.racetech.com and their email is : info@racetech.com

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 07:40 AM   #3
Junior

Thanks Mark,

I realized that I was typing the wrong name . I am mainly concerned that the spring rate may be too stiff for my weight. I went on the site, used their spring rate calculator and discovered that the recomended spring rate for my weight is .766kg/mm. The closest they sell to that for th SV is .8kg/mm (the one I was refering to is .85kg/mm) I am not too knowledgeable about spring rates and I am wondering how much difference .05kg/mm would make. I could prolly conpensate by using a lighter weight oil. Anyway, thanks again for the info and the correct website info.

Sorry, but that is the coolest emoticon I have seen yet!!
Old 06-01-05, 05:36 PM   #4
donniej

I'm about your weight and also have .85 springs... I'm running 20wt oil and sag set at Racetech's recomended setting (30mm?). I put zip ties on the fork tubes to see how far they travel and they get good range (about 3/4 travel at moderate driving/braking). The ride is rough over bumps and I suspect it's either my emulators are too tight (2 turns) or the oil is too thick. 20wt seems to be the oil of choice over at SvRider.com but I'd reccomend 15wt myself, especially for the cold.
Old 07-01-05, 09:20 AM   #5
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniej
I'm about your weight and also have .85 springs... I'm running 20wt oil and sag set at Racetech's recomended setting (30mm?). I put zip ties on the fork tubes to see how far they travel and they get good range (about 3/4 travel at moderate driving/braking). The ride is rough over bumps and I suspect it's either my emulators are too tight (2 turns) or the oil is too thick. 20wt seems to be the oil of choice over at SvRider.com but I'd reccomend 15wt myself, especially for the cold.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. It's not that big of a deal to change the oil if 15 turns out to be too heavy.

(off topic a bit)

Are you still riding? A guy I know just drove back here from Key West, and told me he saw a few guys riding in the Allentown area. I am envious. We just got a 20 cm dumping of snow. No riding in my near future. The bright side is this is the time of year I spend every extra cent on parts and misc. goodies for my bike.

(back on topic)

When I do get around to trying things out, I'll post my experiences and findings.

TTFN