SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-09-06, 09:41 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Best Springs, do I need Emulators?

This sort of topic has been discussed over and over in one way or another, so forgive me, but I am after a specific answer …

Ok, I have too curvys, without going through the whole story I have ended up with 2 front end/fork setups, both of which I have used on the road at some point. I have a set of totally standard forks. I also have a set with Racetch 80 springs and Racetech emulators in (with 15w oil). The racetech forks are so much better (confidence inspiring) than the stock forks.

I am a bit tight, so don’t really want to put my hand in my pocket for the £200 odd that it would cost to get the racetech bits for my road forks.

So I could just get some springs, if I was to just the springs then which are the best make to go for (Ohlins, Racetech etc)??? And how much difference do the emulators make??? i.e. is it mostly the springs that make the biggest difference?

So, in summery:-
1.Is it the springs or emulators that make the big difference?
2.What are the best manufacturer for just springs (low price being a desirable factor).
3.Has anyone done a back to back test with and without emulators?
Old 05-09-06, 09:41 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Oh and unless thre is a good reason not to, I was thinking of getting Racetec springs so if I decide to treat myself to emulators in the future, I know the two will go together. But if just a set of springs from another manufacturer vastly improve the front end then that’d be cool. I am not after perfection, just a vast improvement!!! If I could get 80% of the full racetech setup then that’d be ample.
Old 05-09-06, 10:26 AM   #3
weazelz

you can have a go on mine with hyperpro progressive springs & 15w oil on monday if you like
Old 05-09-06, 10:28 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

It sounds like you already know the answer to me

Get the springs. I can't imagine it would make a difference who made them, though it's worth checking if you're supposed to cut the spacer with each one. When you've fitted the springs and changed the oil the bike will feel better, when you've got the cash do the emulators If you like the feel of the forks on the race bike I'd go for the same spring rate on the road bike, the ones in the race bike are probably Linier rather than progressive, but it may be worth checking.

If you have a spare afternoon, why not just drop the springs from your race bike into the road bike, this will let you know exactly what to expect after parting with your hard earned?

The following people also make stiffer bouncy bits:
Maxton
Hagon
Ohlins
rachetech
WP
Old 05-09-06, 10:31 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Springs are springs, more or less... As long as the weight's right I wouldn't worry about make. And springs and oil's good enough for 9/10 people after all.

You could pull the springy bits from the track bike and try them in the street bike without the emulators, see how that works for you?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 11:05 AM   #6
21QUEST
Mega Poster

You already have more or less your answer but one thing I've noticed with the Maxton springs I've come across is that they tend to be quite long. I've not seen a Maxton supplied springs for the SV but a couple or so I've seen for USD forks have been very long(spacers were only 20mm long).

So if thinking you may go for Emulators in future probably a good idea to go for one that would fit with emulators(ohlins racetech, etc).

I would think most wouldn't be a problem but just pointing out what I've noticed with the Maxton springs and I'm sure someone will be along to say 'yeah' or 'Nah' .

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 11:14 AM   #7
chazzyb

I've just looked at the price of Racetech emulators from PDQ and suspect I may be doing this real soon now. I like riding on back roads but I'm fed up with the jarring on larger bumps. Hell, I've had the bars wrenched out of my hands more than once by things like a tree root pushing a lump up in the road surface, which I haven't spotted (keeping my vision up, see )
Old 05-09-06, 11:58 AM   #8
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
I've had the bars wrenched out of my hands more than once by things like a tree root pushing a lump up in the road surface, which I haven't spotted (keeping my vision up, see )
I think you're meant to have spotted that sort of thing from where you've had your vision up further back up the road
Old 05-09-06, 12:10 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Humm, that’s a point I could whip out the springs from the trackbike … good idea!! I would need to make some new spacers mind (the emulators are what 15mm thick??).

As no one has recommended any particular manufacturer being better than another, I’ll stick with the racetechs for the aforementioned reason.

Ah, sod it, I’ll get on the phone and order a set of springs … bearing in mind I am not going to be fitting emulators (at this point) am I best getting some 15w oil or sticking with the 10w I have in there now?

p.s. Thanks for the offer weazelz, but I think I am just going to get the springs anyhow
Old 05-09-06, 03:11 PM   #10
sdusk

Blue_SV650S, I know folk who have been very happy with the emulators and stock spings and 15W oil. Especially if they like the suspension a little bit softer (as you have said previously that you do). A slightly overdamped spring is preferable to an uprated spring with too little rebound damping for most people.

You have all the parts at your disposal, so give it a go!