SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-07, 09:19 AM   #1
Marrinator

Default Ready for a noob question? Here you go!

Hello everyone. Loving the website. This is my first post.

I have 2.5k to spend on a bike and I'm sure it will be an SV. I am torn, however, between the naked and the faired version. I know the faired is sportier, has clip-ons and looks a little better (in my opinion) but I am sure there are knowledgeable people here who can give me some pros/cons about my dilemma and maybe even help me decide.

Over to you!
Old 25-05-07, 09:22 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ready for a noob question? Here you go!

What do you think you're likely to use the bike for ?

If your doing a lot of fast motorway / dual carriageway get a faired bike it'll be much more comfortable in the long run.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 10:13 AM   #3
Warthog

Naked has a different gearing making it accelerate a bit quicker but a lower top speed. Naked is a more upright riding position. Faired is better for motorways/touring. Faired parts are more common than naked parts.

So as Fizz said, depends what you want it for. I have a naked but due to wanting to go on holiday with it etc I wish I had fairings now.
Old 25-05-07, 09:12 PM   #4
Philbo

My old naked SV was fine on private roads up to say 85mph. If you plan to cruise at anything more you really need something with a screen. I usually go out on long runs with 3 mates...a 600 gsxr, cbr600rr, and a naked 600 bandit. If the sport guys go for high speeds, and I try to keep up the lack of screen was a pain...literally! However, they were the ones wanting to stop all the time with back pains! And when it came to the twisty stuff, the wide bars and riding position of the SV and bandit, meant we left the sports bike boys behind!
Old 26-05-07, 12:52 PM   #5
EC8010

I bought the naked SV650 because I once had a faired Ducati Pantah. Riding down unlit unknown country roads and finding the road has disappeared is not fun. Naked bikes take the headlight beam with the bars, faired bikes allow you to see where you'll end up if it all goes wrong (not terribly useful). Having said that, I bought my SV650 for commuting down country lanes where you can rarely go over 60mph - I wouldn't want to go all that far at > 70mph. The upright position is kind on my back...
Old 26-05-07, 01:23 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

You spent any money on buying leathers/helmets etc?
Old 26-05-07, 04:13 PM   #7
EC8010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
You spent any money on buying leathers/helmets etc?
Aaargh! My old helmet turned out not to fit any more due to a lack of padding (rotted helmet foam and rather less hair than I had eighteen years ago). Then I saw that gloves now have armour to protect the fragile bits of hands, and I needed a serious lock and a tank bag. I dropped the bike at 1mph starting to turn right on a gravelly corner when I couldn't stop it tipping because my old (leather-soled) boots slipped, so that meant boots with grippy soles. Then it rained, and reminded me that leathers aren't waterproof, so that meant trousers and jacket...
Old 26-05-07, 04:25 PM   #8
tigersaw
Mega Poster

For me the faired was so uncomfortable on the wrists and back it was the reason it had to go. I now ride a ER6F which is a bazillion times more comfortable. If I can get a go on a naked SV sometime and it's as comfy as the Kwak, I'll be returning to the SV - I miss that engine
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-07, 06:41 PM   #9
Damoulianos Marios

I was afraid of the commited riding position pains and aches so I chose the naked one. Wrong choice, as the naked is good only in town or very tight b-roads. On every other terrain the faired is a better bike as I've found out by converting the naked riding position to the faired ones by using custom handlebar and rearsets
Old 26-05-07, 06:58 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

A naked one with a small bolt on screen keeps a surprising amount of windblast at bay.Nakeds are slightly cheaper to buy and insure,and doing any work on the bike tends to be easier and quicker as everything is much more accessable.Choices choices.