SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-09, 06:10 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Is my Oxford Maximiser ok?

Hi all.
I recently bought a Oxford Maximiser 365T, I suspected the battery being weak, so I was plugging it in.
Unfortunately it looks like my battery gave up completely, it shows 12,74V but when I try to crank it, it drops to 3V and doesn't spin - and this is after it was plugged in for the night.
I'm already sourcing a new battery, but what surprises me is that the Maximiser, when plugged in was switching from "charge" to "maintain" after 1-2 minutes, and later was showing that the battery is "strong" - holding charge - which it isn't.

Is my maximiser buggered? Is there a way to test it??

Cheers
Dyzio
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 07:55 PM   #2
Nostrils

Default Re: Is my Oxford Maximiser ok?

My maximiser acted in the exact same way to discover the battery was knackered (I later found out that my nephew had disconnected the charger over the winter and didnt tell anyone until it was too late)

I have found the maximiser to be of poor quality, especially the LCD screen, which seems to have gone completely now.....I must find that receipt!
Old 04-04-09, 12:17 PM   #3
dyzio
Mega Poster

I think this might explain why it was showing a good battery...
Quote:
Advise Battery Condition

If during the Voltage Retention Check the voltage falls below 12.35V, then a weak battery indication light is displayed alerting you to the fact that the battery is unable to retain a charge. The Maximiser will continue to charge the battery up-to 200mA/hr until the battery is able to hold a charge. This gentle repairing action allows the battery condition to be optimised in a safe and controlled way.
My battery is showing 12.74V...
Old 04-04-09, 06:31 PM   #4
AmigaNut

Mine was on from Begining of Dec to end of Feb and showed 12.6-7.
With strong battery and the bike started ok.
I admit i only got the bike in Oct. But the charger worked.

Perhaps the battery will hold the charge when sat, but not when under load.

How old is the battery?

Batteryman on this forum may help, he has an in depth knowledge.
Old 04-04-09, 07:00 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

The battery is dead
I'm just wondering if the charger is ok...

But since we're on the battery subject... I'll get the new one on Monday, but should I put it on charge before I stick it in the bike?

Cheers
Dyzio
Old 04-04-09, 07:39 PM   #6
Batteryman

"it shows 12,74V but when I try to crank it, it drops to 3V and doesn't spin "

The actual voltage on the battery is often a good guide to battery performance, but not always.
In this case the battery voltage decays when it is placed under load, I would put good money on the battery being at the end of its life.

Last edited by Batteryman; 11-04-09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 02:30 PM   #7
Batteryman

In reply to your question about whether the Oxford charger is OK. I would suggest you try it on a good battery first, before you condemn it.
Old 11-04-09, 03:08 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

I think yuasa batteries are ones that come quite recommended - dont go cheap...my dad did for his car, and ended up needing another one a year later.

As batteryman said, check it with a new battery first. I personally dont trust oxford electrical products, with my experiance of their heated grips. Most of their stuff ends up with me thinking "hmmm...its ok, but could be better..." But thats another thread all together

Batteries will die a death if they are discharged deeply and never fully recharged. The best way to keep a bttery in good condition is to go for lots of long rides frequently
Old 11-04-09, 03:35 PM   #9
dyzio
Mega Poster

Cheers, probably worth mentioning, bike is not an SV.
I've received a new battery (SVR 14Ah) and been using it since Tuesday. Once plugged in, bike jumped into life instantly. Tried connecting the Maximiser then, but it went into "maintain" as usual (well, new battery).
I've checked the voltages on idle and @4krpm and the are about 14,2V, so charging circuit looks ok. I've also used the built in V-meter to check then on a ride and it looks the same (was thinking that the reg/rec may fail under temp.).

Bike is used for a daily 10 mile commute, and so far starts ok.
I'm tempted to get the optimate 4.

Batteryman, one more thing.
I should be using the "car" setting on the maximiser (as per manual), since the 14Ah size, right?
Old 11-04-09, 03:40 PM   #10
Batteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
Bike is used for a daily 10 mile commute, and so far starts ok.
I'm tempted to get the optimate 4.

Batteryman, one more thing.
I should be using the "car" setting on the maximiser (as per manual), since the 14Ah size, right?
I would definately not use the car setting. Only use the bike setting, the car setting is too much current IMHO

Optimate 4. Well, it would be true to say that we sell 10 of these to every Oxford charger.