SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-08-12, 01:05 PM   #1
Specialone

Default Anybody on here run a late ish VW Transporter?

As title?

Im thinking of selling my golf and my transit connect and getting a VW transporter as my only 4 wheeled transport.

Wanted to know things like running costs, parts prices, any known faults to avoid or cost into the purchase?

Im also probably gonna use it to tour a little bit, take bike in the back then either sleep in it or take our big tent and home comforts (for the wife not me i must add).

I got my golf new in June 2007 and its done 17.5k miles, so it doesnt get used much and with the building trade not paying as much as it used to its a cost i can do without as its costing me around £700 a year before ive done any miles with insurance, tax (£120) and servicing.

Cheers
Old 05-08-12, 01:11 PM   #2
DSGMATT

Default Re: Anybody on here run a late ish VW Transporter?

Would advise to go and have a wander on T4 Forums - if that is the model you mean? Went to a VW gathering last week - the Vans and Campers of T4 and newer dominated the event by around 50 > 1 compared to Splittys and beetles/ T25. They are really popular now compared to the older stuff - that aside it was more of a water cooled event.

You can get a decent trade off between a Van/ Camper and general car for reasonable monies.
DSGMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 01:12 PM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

not much help i have been looking at them also, the Roll's Royce of vans. As you know some vans aren't fantastic on fuel from what i have seen the general consensus is the the newer transports get 30-35 mpg depending on how you drive.

i've started looking at vivaro's due to the price of transporters but the mpg figures aren't much better

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 01:19 PM   #4
Specialone

Been on the forums already, no definitive answers and sometimes the info is cloudy as its through rose tinted glasses sometimes.

The 105ps t5 are the ones im looking at, colour coded bumpers etc, they seem to be able to to get 35mpg pretty easy apparently so thats no worse than my connect.
Old 05-08-12, 01:20 PM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

you got he LWB high top?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 01:24 PM   #6
DSGMATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Been on the forums already, no definitive answers and sometimes the info is cloudy as its through rose tinted glasses sometimes.

The 105ps t5 are the ones im looking at, colour coded bumpers etc, they seem to be able to to get 35mpg pretty easy apparently so thats no worse than my connect.
Maybe go to a gathering then - speaking to owners would give you a feel of what the issues are/ could be and what models to look for? The owners I spoke to last week were friendly in gneral and let us sit in the living areas to see the features they had added.

My old man had a T25 Caravelle with a WRX motor in/ porsche alloys etc - was a good laugh but rust starts creeping in after a while. He is tempted to get back into a LWB T4 with all the goodies.
DSGMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 01:42 PM   #7
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
you got he LWB high top?
Nah, swb 220L, abs, its a late 04 plate, 48k miles, i bought it 18 months with 8k on the clock.
Old 05-08-12, 01:44 PM   #8
Small Clanger

One of the lads that subbies for me bought a new 10 plate. Nothing but trouble, loads of warranty work, I'll ask him for details tomorrow.
One of my wholesalers has an older Sportline, loves it, no bother. Used during the week, big mileage at work and at w'ends for hauling kids/mountain bikes around. Looks cool too.
A neighbour runs a 56 plate, joinery business during the week, cleaned out now and again for travel with wife/kids/dogs/bikes. Again, no bother as far as I know although he had a slight F/N/S bash and the headlight unit was £lots.
Another friend has an 08 combi, mainly used privately and for hauling a Lambretta to Santa Pod (yes, i know ) That's also nice, shiny black and, as far as I know, been ultra reliable.

I'd have one tomorrow without a doubt, trouble is, where I work, I need a 4X4.
When you decide to sell the Connect, PM me details, I'll ask around. You never know.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 05-08-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 01:55 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Ask Paul the 6th he had one & Tim in Belgium's got an ex AA one

We run a T5 as one of our works vans, its been great, no problems at all.

Trouble is that VW moved some of their production to places like Turkey I think, which is where the problems lie.

We've got two VW Crafters in our fleet, which have been ok, but have had niggling electrical problems from time to time.

T5 is great to drive, although having a properly noise insulated cab would make it even better
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 05:41 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

T5's are good just like a good sup, but do shift.

They are a current darling of the Fleet hire firms along with Skoda and Seat.
They are VW's and aint cheap if they feck up, this is the only big failure I've heard of from firms (but they rack stupid miles up on the whole fleet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
TBH VW's are hit and miss, a contractor (where I'm working) has the caddy's and transporter's and they have killed one in under year (had done 50k in 11 months). They do run 2 years and get shot lease hire
It was a coolant system and full top end rebuild

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote