SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-11-09, 12:43 PM   #21
andreis

Default Re: Yamaha's new FZ8 - anyone else keen?

I always liked the faired fz's. Not really that much into nakeds. But by the way, the picture is definitely a mock up.. The headlight does not even match the official photo.
But on the note of 800 engines, I'd really like to see some more of them. Seems like they would make a nice step between 600 and litter bikes. Something with a bit more torque and not all horsepower would be nice..
On the crank with crossplane design I think I've read somewhere that they're not interested in getting any for the smaller classes (smaller than 1L that is), as it only helps putting heaps of power down and linearizing torque, not actually increasing it (correct me if I'm wrong). So smaller engines coupled with an 180 wheel on the back have no problem with putting power down. I think that's part of the reason for which 800 machines had better lap times then litter ones when they where introduced...

Last edited by andreis; 28-11-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 12:50 PM   #22
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
But on the note of 800 engines, I'd really like to see some more of them. Seems like they would make a nice step between 600 and liter bikes. Something with a bit more torque and not all horsepower would be nice..
Surely this would be easy for Suzuki to do.. GSXR-750 lump into a naked chassis... Maybe what the GSR-600 should have been ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-09, 01:00 PM   #23
ThEGr33k

I think its a bit of a shame. Would be nice to hear some more none screamer engines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Surely this would be easy for Suzuki to do.. GSXR-750 lump into a naked chassis... Maybe what the GSR-600 should have been ?
Indeed
Old 28-11-09, 01:05 PM   #24
barwel1992

the only problem i see is little teenagers like my self will want one of these instead of a 600 and thus be a pain in the a*s on them, but im sure the insurance will be sky high for a fair wile no that that stops some (que my mate on his 2009 honda hornet 600 all paid for fully comp by mumm and daddy)
Old 28-11-09, 01:05 PM   #25
andreis

Well I know now a days everyone's detuning engines from pure racing machines and putting them on a more standard bike. It just goes to prove that they're choosing the cheap way out. They advertise their racing machines and because many need & want more easy-going bikes, they don't actually spent the extra money necessary for designing an engine from scrap with a given purpose in mind, but just reuse the engine from the rr.
As thegr33k said, it would be nice to hear a couple more of them that aren't screamers
Old 28-11-09, 02:52 PM   #26
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
the only problem i see is little teenagers like my self will want one of these instead of a 600 and thus be a pain in the a*s on them
cos you can't be a PITA on a 600?
Old 28-11-09, 03:10 PM   #27
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
cos you can't be a PITA on a 600?
I was a PITA on a 125... you dont need power, or extra CC to behave like a pratt on a motorcycle IMHO...

Last edited by fizzwheel; 28-11-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 03:28 PM   #28
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I was a PITA on a 125... you dont need power, or extra CC to behave like a pratt on a motorcycle IMHO...

True. But it does make it easier.
Old 28-11-09, 03:47 PM   #29
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
True. But it does make it easier.
exactly my point pluss you carnt do 100+mph on a 125 and yes can be a pita on a 600 but the amount of ppl i know that arnt restricted so a unrestricted 800 would be even faster than a 600 thats my point
Old 28-11-09, 04:33 PM   #30
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
exactly my point plus you cant do 100+mph on a 125
I wouldnt be so sure about that if I were you...