SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-05-19, 09:43 AM   #7281
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Thanks Adam. I'll try and give that a go the next time it happens. I think I have possibly read somewhere about this technique before some time ago.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 09:57 AM   #7282
shiftin_gear98

Small gripe for last Friday and last night.

Although my bike is working after it threw the chain I decided to bodge my slightly cracked number plate to run it for a few days just to make sure everything would be ok. So I found a sheet of 3mm plastic at work and cut out a backing for said cracked number plate, fixed them together - no nails. And I was happy with my bodge. The number plate looked fine from a few feet away.

This brings me to my commute home from work on Friday. And a slight clonk feel. Again whilst on the A10 - so dual carriageway speeds. I glance down and spot the plastic backing lodged by my swingarm. Obviously I pull over as soon as safe. Yep bent plastic backing - no sign of the number plate that was no nailed to it!
I guess the extra weight caused it to flap about more than normal?

So I have 10 miles to ride with no plate on - I am in exactly the same spot I started pushing a few weeks ago.
I get home and ring my local Halfords who can sort out a new plate. So get in the car and £16.00 later I have a new plate. Yay.

This brings me to yesterday. Get to work all peachy. Riding home from work again on the A10, I hit a bump that crosses both lanes. I then recognise the clunk sound, look in my mirror to see the car behind me running over my 1 trip old number plate. I come off at the next junction double back and can't see any sign of it. Poo.
£16.00 not well spent.

So I guess my tail tidy was more bent than I realised and when I hit the bump the rear tyre ripped the plate clean off.

I then had 20 miles to ride with no plate. The look a fellow rider gave me as he came alongside was classic.
I'm not sue how he pulled off a WTF expression so well in full riding gear.

I had to take the car again this morning - with my tail tidy in hand as it's improvement time at work today.
Sod £75.00 for a bent bit of metal to hold the plate on when the bikes worth about £500.00.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 14-05-19 at 03:14 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 10:05 AM   #7283
shiftin_gear98

Gary, just read the last few posts - I hope you can get a good nights sleep tonight.
Adam's technique sounds good - I might try that myself next time I am lying there staring at the ceiling stressing.

I really need to get out for a run, maybe you should too.
Old 14-05-19, 11:38 AM   #7284
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Gary, just read the last few posts - I hope you can get a good nights sleep tonight.
Adam's technique sounds good - I might try that myself next time I am lying there staring at the ceiling stressing.

I really need to get out for a run, maybe you should too.
You're right Martin, I do need to go for a run. Have to nip onto town on the bike first but when I get back I have a good excuse for getting out for a run. My new Inov8 shoes have just arrived.

Inov8 Roclite 315
by garynortheast

Inov8 Roclite 315
by garynortheast
Old 14-05-19, 12:45 PM   #7285
shiftin_gear98

Nice.
Old 15-05-19, 10:00 AM   #7286
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Back pain. In the middle of the night. It's only happening after lying down for an hour or two. So it's been waking me up about 3am the last couple of nights. Feels like someone has put a long bar under my shoulder blade and is twisting it. Nearly throwing up it's so painful. If I stay upright for an hour or so it subsides slightly but not ideal in the night. I (half) slept (drowsed?) sitting up for a few hours last night. Gave up at 5am as the urge to lie down was too much and the pain came back with a vengeance when I gave in and lay down. Drifted into sleep for the occaisional 5 minutes at a time and woke up in agony each time I did.

Had similar but on the other side of my back a couple of years ago and physio sorted it. But that was after a year long wait for an appointment and various doctor and even one A&E appointment (as it affected my ability to breath in) where each time I was told to just keep taking as many pain killers as possible until I get physio. So, not sure it's even worth visiting the doctor about it. And doctors appointments have three week waiting lists at our surgery anyway.

Luckily daytimes when I'm upright are a lot better.. apart from being totally exhausted.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-19, 10:27 AM   #7287
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Back pain. In the middle of the night. It's only happening after lying down for an hour or two. So it's been waking me up about 3am the last couple of nights. Feels like someone has put a long bar under my shoulder blade and is twisting it. Nearly throwing up it's so painful. If I stay upright for an hour or so it subsides slightly but not ideal in the night. I (half) slept (drowsed?) sitting up for a few hours last night. Gave up at 5am as the urge to lie down was too much and the pain came back with a vengeance when I gave in and lay down. Drifted into sleep for the occaisional 5 minutes at a time and woke up in agony each time I did.

Had similar but on the other side of my back a couple of years ago and physio sorted it. But that was after a year long wait for an appointment and various doctor and even one A&E appointment (as it affected my ability to breath in) where each time I was told to just keep taking as many pain killers as possible until I get physio. So, not sure it's even worth visiting the doctor about it. And doctors appointments have three week waiting lists at our surgery anyway.

Luckily daytimes when I'm upright are a lot better.. apart from being totally exhausted.
Adam, I don't know about England but here in Wales you can self refer for physio. May be worth looking into.
Old 15-05-19, 10:32 AM   #7288
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've tried with another pain I've had more recently (which thankfully went away) and all I could get was a place on a group session about how to manage pain. That took a while to come through too.
Really hoping this fades away in the next few days.
Old 15-05-19, 10:57 AM   #7289
keith_d
Mega Poster

Went out this morning and my bike didn't start on the button. Worse still after about three tries the battery gave out. So I had to take the car on a perfectly good biking day.

I'll put it on charge when I get home, but I'm expecting to need a new battery.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 11:21 AM   #7290
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

After weeks and weeks of time wasting I've actually managed to get a few replies from Drift in the last few days. Got final confirmation today that they won't do anything about a 4 month old camera dying. They're not willing to accept it back. Absolutely appalled at their lack of help and run around they've given me the last month+

I could push it further, but quite honestly I've wasted so much time on it already. I'm cutting my losses at this point and selling the bits and accessories and looking at cheap second hand Gopros.

So that's a definite recommendation to not buy a Drift camera from me. Shame as there were things I really liked about it. But those things are irrelevent if it doesn't even turn on.