SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-05, 10:03 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Indicator sounder

In the old days, indicators used to beep when on to save you forgetting to turn them off and confusing the poor motorist who gets a gold plated excuse for pulling out in front of you.

Anyone know of a neat way of fitting such a beeper/buzzer to a K1 naked cluster? Probably just a case of connecting a buzzer between the turn signal on the instrument cluster and a decent earth point, but was wondering if anyone had done this and come up with the neatest way of doing it or if someone has done it and decided it is more annoying than I could have imagined and regretted ever doing it.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-05, 10:20 PM   #2
nuntius

Look for a 'datatool turnalert' - that's exactly what you are describing.

I got one of ebay for a tenner and it is easy enough to fit.
Old 24-08-05, 10:25 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I fitted a 12v sounder under the rear seat, using the feeds to the rear indicators, isolated from each other using diodes. It cost nothing just using gash bits and is easy to do and there is plenty of room to fit it.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-05, 10:34 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I did once dabble with this on another bike.

Don't bother with cheapo buzzers like you get for a quid from Maplins etc, they seem to be the wrong sort of frequencies and aren't loud enough to hear when you're moving especially if you use earplugs.

I never did sort out a good arrangement.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-05, 11:13 PM   #5
Anonymous

In the "Beep Beep" thread below, good ol' Henners got it right (as usual) when he said that manufacturers had stopped fitting audible warning devices because of complaints. In the late seventies, the manufacturer I worked for (and later retailed) retro-removed all the bleepers after complaints from (I think) the RNIB that people with challenged eyesight could step out in front of moving machines, thinking they were Pelican or Zebra crossings signalling "Cross Now".

It's potentially the same problem today.....but multiplied by the even greater number of controlled crossings and with the added problem of bikes being mistaken for reversing trucks! It gets worse when you consider that you have to get the bleeper going pretty loud to penetrate a full face helmet and earplugs...in my day we had a pudding basin and white scarf so a light "chirrup" was OK!

On behalf of blind people, please make your "reminder" warning system visual, not audible.
Old 25-08-05, 07:00 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I don't recall any bike coming with an indicator reminder as standard, I only remember them as aftermarket add-ons.

What bike did anyone have that had this as standard?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-05, 07:06 AM   #7
Last Action Pimp

the new pug jetforce has that! its soo annoying and embarrising (I only rode it because my Sv was having a new tyre and it was not throught choice)
Old 25-08-05, 08:50 AM   #8
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
I don't recall any bike coming with an indicator reminder as standard, I only remember them as aftermarket add-ons.

What bike did anyone have that had this as standard?
Well, I could have gone nuts (probably have), but some early K twins and triples.
Old 25-08-05, 10:58 AM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Thanks for the speedy responses. I'm sure the older bikes had a beep. Nothing as fancy as a beeper that cuts in after 20 flashes, more a buzzer in parallel with the dash indicator. I used to have an early 70's Suzuki 90cc something or other that had one and I'm sure my Dad's old 750/4 had one too. Mind you it may have been the 70's version of todays stick on carbon bits and just an add-on that everyone added at the time.

Must admit did not think of the added danger of blind people leaping out in front of me thinking I was a crossing, but will consider that when ever somone with a labrador suddenly steps out in front of me.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-05, 12:16 PM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

Just develop a nervous twitch to look down at the idiot light on the pannel. Simple but effective!