SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 18-07-07, 03:15 AM   #1
PaulSV650S

Default Let it Breath, More Horse POWER

This is a simple one to get more Horses and let the bike breath. If you have a 2003 or newer SV650 basicly lift up your gas tank remove the top of the air filter box. remove the 5 screws from the air box. get some oversized flanged out washers. bolt down the air filter using the screws and washers, the washers should overlap the edge of the air filter element. the air filter has a very sturdy rubber gasket around it. Leave the Top of the air filter box off drop the gas tank and off you go. I have found it helps with fuel use...+ it will allow you to get a little more out of each gear.... example 55mph before was 5th gear at 5,500 rpms now it is 4th gear at the same rpms. ....let thoses horses free.... and go kick some butt.......................

Old 18-07-07, 04:41 AM   #2
injury_ian

Default Re: Let it Breath, More Horse POWER

so by letting warm air into your engine changes the gear ratios in the gearbox?

Im gonna try out that one!

Old 18-07-07, 07:33 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSV650S View Post
This is a simple one to get more Horses and let the bike breath. If you have a 2003 or newer SV650 basicly lift up your gas tank remove the top of the air filter box. remove the 5 screws from the air box. get some oversized flanged out washers. bolt down the air filter using the screws and washers, the washers should overlap the edge of the air filter element. the air filter has a very sturdy rubber gasket around it. Leave the Top of the air filter box off drop the gas tank and off you go. I have found it helps with fuel use...+ it will allow you to get a little more out of each gear.... example 55mph before was 5th gear at 5,500 rpms now it is 4th gear at the same rpms. ....let thoses horses free.... and go kick some butt.......................
Eh? Hows that work then? Woudnt it be the same as JHS do, and remove the top part of thie airbox and replace the filter with a high flow item?

What you gonna see, 1-2hp increase?

If you are happy, thats cool...enjoy
Old 18-07-07, 07:52 AM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Leave the Top of the air filter box off drop the gas tank and off you go.
Leaving the top off the airbox is a good way to gunk up your air filter quickly, which will mean less air, and less power.

You're seeing better tank ranges because the fuel mix is leaned out, if this is too lean, it'll cause engine damage.

Personally, everything with the airbox has been left alone, except the snorkel, which has been removed, leaving more airflow into the box. Once in there, it has only one place to go, and that's down into the engine. It could come back out the hole it went in, but more air is rushing in there.

Sounds nice though, more induction noise.

Old 18-07-07, 12:26 PM   #5
600+

same as Baph - just a K&N filter , tank raisers and snorkel off

Old 18-07-07, 02:40 PM   #6
petevtwin650

Quote:
it will allow you to get a little more out of each gear.... example 55mph before was 5th gear at 5,500 rpms now it is 4th gear at the same rpms. ....let thoses horses free.... and go kick some butt.......................
How can somebody with such a Gorgeous Sv believe tinkering with the mixture is gonna alter gear ratios.

Old 18-07-07, 03:15 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I think somebody can't count gears
Old 18-07-07, 03:39 PM   #8
PaulSV650S

WOW, I thought I spoke English,,,,lol It does not change the gear ratio but lowers the RPMS for the Same amount of horse power with the box installed. It is allowing the engine to work less hard sucking air in through the little hole allowing for more power being applied to hourse power. Basicly it frees up horse power and let the engine free,,,less stress,,, the reason for the top of the air box is for two reasons. One it keeps the noise down acting like a baffle similar to what a car has. Two it keeps excess debri out of the cleaner, dirt is going to get in to the filter no matter if i comes in through a small hole or a large hole but also so it the air. I replace my paper with a K&N about $50.00 so I clean it once a month. I noticed that some of you are opening up the neck on the older SV air box this is the same Idea. So if you dont want to remove the top Drill in a bunch of holes that will also allow the bike to breath. Change the sproket if you want to change the gear ratio,,,

Old 18-07-07, 03:45 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Two it keeps excess debri out of the cleaner, dirt is going to get in to the filter no matter if i comes in through a small hole or a large hole but also so it the air. I replace my paper with a K&N about $50.00 so I clean it once a month. I noticed that some of you are opening up the neck on the older SV air box this is the same Idea. So if you dont want to remove the top Drill in a bunch of holes that will also allow the bike to breath.
Dirt is minimized by barriers, and as you rightly said, so is air flow.

For that reason, I removed the snorkel, but left the airbox top on (my bike is a 2006 BTW, so a newer pointy version).

Another thing to consider, is water. More air, more water. Do you want water seeping through the air filter & getting mixed with fuel in the cylinders? I certainly don't. In your situation, only the gas tank will really stop water getting to the air filter. I also have the airbox top to help this.

Horses for courses.

Note though, as I said, if the fuel mix is too lean, the bike will still run OK, but you'll be doing damage to the valves/shims by riding it in that state. That can get real expensive real quick.

Old 18-07-07, 03:49 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
WOW, I thought I spoke English,,,,lol It does not change the gear ratio but lowers the RPMS for the Same amount of horse power with the box installed.
The wheel is connected to the engine, with the clutch out of the equation engine speed is directly related to wheel speed... You can't reduce the engine speed at a particular wheel speed without changing the gear ratio or the wheel size, simple as that. Sorry

At the risk of being patronising, take a fixed gear bike- a BMX, say. Now get a puny person (me) and someone with actual muscles. To go at 30mph both have to pedal at the exact same speed. The puny guy will work harder for the same result but the leg-revs will be the same.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Closed Thread