SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-13, 05:16 PM   #41
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Abba stand are they worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Are you just on a mission to annoy me now since I don't agree a forum threads a good way to get riding advice?
Nothing to do with the riding thread, more the tone of your responses to this particular thread.

OP asks if Abbas are good and in general the response is they are expensive but more useful than a rear stand and if you get one for a different bike you can get the correct adapters. - Useful advice - You come back with why don't you just make one. I suspect 90% of us on here would not be able to do that but you can (good for you) Nothing to stop you also knocking up a front lift too based on that just being a bunch of tubing too.

You then continue to point out that the components that make an abba stand cost less than an abba stand. The same can be said of pretty much everything that is assembled. To say that it should cost no more than the cost of it's component parts is a daft statement.

So yes I was having a bit of a poke about your responses but that was in response to this thread and this thread alone.

Just consider that most of the folks on here are not scrapheap challenge types and just want to know whether to buy product A or B.

Personally I use an Abba and a headstock stand, they work well for me and for those that have borrowed them. Should they get stolen I'd buy them again.

Not going to get into a fight about it, no biggie, unsubscribing etc etc etc.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 05:23 PM   #42
TamSV
Mega Poster

I use my Abba stand alot and consider I've had my money's worth. I've got two sets of adapters - for the SV and RGV - one from each set also lifts the Fireblade so I didn't need to buy a new set of adapters. I've got the footpeg bolts for swingarm removal which means you can lift pretty much anything.

Worth the money? Dunno. If the question was, does it do what it's supposed to then it undoubtedly does. You then just need to decide if you'll use it enough to justify parting with the brass.

"Value for money" or "worth it" is entirely subjective (and fairly dependent on how much money you've got) but surely it's not surprising that it costs more than the sum of its parts? As simple as it is, someone had to invent the thing, get a patent on it, spend money getting it ready for market with no certain return, set up a business, market the product, see off some competition along the way. That's what the extra margin is for. You can copy their product for cheaper but that doesn't make them a rip off IMO.

I've not been averse to using bits of wood, step ladders, bags of compost and ratchet straps to get the job done, but by the time I've lashed up some Heath Robinson affair I could have had the bike on the Abba stand and be half way through a brew.

It's worth it for me, but I like to tinker beyond routine maintenance. If you're going to lube the chain and change the oil then you probably won't get a lot of utility from the stand. If you're going to rebuild bikes, or even just follow the proper maintenance schedule, then it's very useful but not entirely essential.

Anyway, hundred quid? I'll **** half that up the wall this Friday.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 05:33 PM   #43
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
OP asks if Abbas are good
No, he asked if they were worth the extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco2 View Post
so was wondering if they are worth the extra dosh?
Quote:
You come back with why don't you just make one.
Where did I suggest that Disco2 should go make one?

In response to the OP's question, I thought I'd said that I didn't think they represented good value for money, having given a reason why, and that I was pretty tempted to go make one for myself.

Quote:
Personally I think the Abba stand is a fantastic concept, but 100 odd quid for a couple of bits of square section mild steel, a mop handle, and some red paint????
Not what I call value for money.

Very tempted to buy the adaptors but just make the rest myself
Yep that's exactly what I said.

Quote:
To say that it should cost no more than the cost of it's component parts is a daft statement
Where did I make that statement?

Quote:
Look at what an Abba stand actually is and compare manufacturing costs and sell price, it's not value for money. They could sell them at half the price and still make a very tidy profit thank you very much. They charge what they charge because they can get away with it. That's because like the majority of responses in this thread, their customers consider that it's 'worth it'
No, just as I thought, I didn't.

The other thread Mark, get over it. This thread, nothing's been done to rattle your cage, grow up.
Old 16-01-13, 05:36 PM   #44
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
"Value for money" or "worth it" is entirely subjective (and fairly dependent on how much money you've got) but surely it's not surprising that it costs more than the sum of its parts? As simple as it is, someone had to invent the thing, get a patent on it, spend money getting it ready for market with no certain return, set up a business, market the product, see off some competition along the way. That's what the extra margin is for. You can copy their product for cheaper but that doesn't make them a rip off IMO.
If ABBA were my business I'd be doing exactly the same, maximising profits is the raison d'etre. I agree with Owenski though that if there were some competitive products on the market it would force the price down. I suspect ABBA probably have some kind of patent on lifting by the swingarm pivot though, and good on them.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-01-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 16-01-13, 06:00 PM   #45
disco2

Got the fitting kit and used it to fit the lift kit I had bought.
Found the stand to be excellent and held the bike nice and stable very happy with it.
All in all it cost me £55 so I think ii did ok.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 16-01-13, 06:03 PM   #46
Spank86

Capitalist theory would suggest that if they were significantly overpriced someone would turn up to fill the niche with a lower priced alternative.
Old 16-01-13, 06:06 PM   #47
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Capitalist theory would suggest that if they were significantly overpriced someone would turn up to fill the niche with a lower priced alternative.
Or another product that beats it at the same price. Maybe somebody will. Depends exactly what ABBA have the patent on I guess.
Old 16-01-13, 06:13 PM   #48
Spank86

Do you know if there are any other products out there that will perform the same function for less?

Having had a peruse of the abba website it appears that there wasn't in 1992 when he started but I wouldn't think they'd be able to patent something so simple in its entirety, although obviously they COULD patent bits and bobs.
Old 16-01-13, 06:33 PM   #49
-Ralph-

NWS Ulti-Pro

They made all kinds of paddock stands, but the Ulti Pro was basically just another big G-clamp type design.

The company was sold and the buyer had no interest in continuing to make motorcycle stands, discontinued the whole range.
Old 16-01-13, 07:08 PM   #50
Bibio
Mega Poster

like any tool you get what you pay for. i have never heard anyone say they have broken their abba stand and to me that says it all. they do what they were designed to do very very well and like all good tools you only buy it once.

when i got mine it was delivered with a bent stay and with one phone call i had another at my door the next day then via email they organized a courier to pick up the bent one, all this was FOC.

as for an increase in price, well the price of the raw material has gone up so the end product goes up. they have to pay wages, BOC contract fees, lighting, heat, rates, plant, building rent, insurance and make a profit.

yes i could have gone down the workshop and made myself one in fact i could have made a stainless steel one (and i'm very capable of doing so) and saved a bundle but why bother when you can help keep a member of the British public in employment.

yes they are very easy to make and have a few design faults but that's due to ease of manufacture than anything.

why make life hard when you don't need to and pizzing about with Heath Robinson contraptions to save a few £. buy cheap buy twice.

the biggest thing i can say about the abba stand compared to other stands is that it's safer to use and you no longer have to do the paddock stand shuffle.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote