Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 06-08-11, 11:21 AM   #11
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Taken out at Cadwell :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
Most likely, just waiting for him to get back home and on line.

It was the final session (of the second day). I was going to have a nice gentle bimble (admittedly with a bit of knee down action) and at first thought it was a stupid overtake from someone who had used tyre warmers (and hence going fast on the 'out' lap). I stood it up but he was never going to make the corner. :-/

Druid
So is he a member on a forum you're on then? What are you going to say to him when you contact him?
Old 06-08-11, 11:29 AM   #12
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Not all of the riders are members of ixion, booking is 'opened' there first but there aren't enough to fill it with all 'ixies'.

Druid
Old 06-08-11, 01:12 PM   #13
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Do you have any other footage from your days at Cadwell by the way FD? I'd be interested to see...
Old 06-08-11, 02:35 PM   #14
hardhat_harry

Does that mean there wil be no ixies trackday next year, was hoping to get on one at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
The SV won't be going out anywhere anytime soon. It went through about 750ml of oil in two days so needs a rebuild... That was of course before it spent some time running on its side.

Plus it's ruined my leathers

It was ixion[1], he'll certainly not be welcome again but given that it was the final session of the last day, and he'd buggered off nothing really the organiser could do.

Druid

[1] Now Motorcycle Folly have packed it in the longest running trackday organiser in the UK.
Old 06-08-11, 04:39 PM   #15
fastdruid
Mega Poster

@Binky: Uploading now, unfortunately it seems where I mounted it wasn't the best and there is quite a bit of vibration, plus some bug managed to splat the camera so the clearest on I have is after I cleaned it and has all of the 3/4 of a lap before someone takes me out... which is http://youtu.be/H4HTBjGMK8w FWIW

@hardhat_harry: No, I think it'll be on. Although I haven't heard for sure as yet.

Druid
Old 06-08-11, 05:35 PM   #16
Scrawf

I have done a lot of track days over the years in my Lotus Elise and only recently switched to bikes and I have to say that having done two track days on my bike now there is a marked difference between the levels of track etiquette and consideration between car and bike track days. What is it about bikes that make people think that they can just barge past, push through, overtake on corners, overtake on the inside in dangerous situations?

They would never get away with this sort of behaviour on a car track day. They would be black flagged by the marshals and sent back to the paddock or even kicked off the day!

The attitude on bike track days from the minority is appalling and I don't understand why the organisers do not have stricter rules. The briefings leave a lot to be desired and it seems the norm that this sort of behavior is acceptable!

I feel for you fella! Especially as the C*NT didn't even have the good grace or the manners to apologise for his stupid mistake and offer to pay for the damage! What a TW*T!

Scrawf
Old 06-08-11, 05:47 PM   #17
Berlin

FD, whilst I'm sorry you ended up on your ****, it should be taken for granted that this kind of thing is a possibility on any track day. Its why i run in the advanced class. less thance of others getting it wrong and knocking you off.

hands up *anyone* who's never made a mistake on a track day? No one thats ever ran wide, outbraked themselves, ripped in too soon. Its unfortunate that this time the guy who made the mistake collected someone else.

I'd like to say "that's racing" becasue if it happened during a race it would have been down to crappy luck. But being on a track its basically the same thing. You don't know if he had a slide or highside on the gooseneck and then by the time he got it back under control it was too late to brake. The left hander at the top of the hill is notorious for crashes... and it was on the warm up lap. I've losty the rear twice in a day there on the warm up lap. Several of the SV racers on here have binned it on that corner going at moderate pace (Toot and Max to name two).

I do think he should have manned up and came over to help you/ check if you were ok, but I'm not going to call him an idiot because I don't know what put him into that situation to have outbraked himself.

Again, sorryt about the damage and I hope the bruises aren't too bad. just be glad it wasn't on the previous corner where things would have been a whole lot worse.

C
Old 06-08-11, 05:57 PM   #18
Scrawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
I'd like to say "that's racing" becasue if it happened during a race it would have been down to crappy luck. But being on a track its basically the same thing.
Whoa! Hang on fella! It was a track day was it not? No prizes, a bit of fun, a chance to ride your bike fast on track and all that. Not a race therefore no need to behave like a racer and no need to use race tactics. This seems to me to be the root cause of the problem; The total misunderstanding that track days are and never were conceived to be race days. OK maybe he made a mistake but to not stop and to not come over in the paddock afterwards and apologise accept responsibility to my mind is totally unforgivable! Lets face it, if it was a race I am sure he would have been more 'sporting' than that. Racers tend to try and look after one and other.

Scrawf

Last edited by Scrawf; 06-08-11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 06:08 PM   #19
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawf View Post
Whoa! Hang on fella! It was a track day was it not? No prizes, a bit of fun, a chance to ride your bike fast on track and all that. Not a race therefore no need to behave like a racer and no need to use race tactics. This seems to me to be the root cause of the problem; The total misunderstanding that track days are and never were conceived to be race days. OK maybe he made a mistake but to not stop and to not come over in the paddock afterwards and apologise accept responsibility to my mind is totally unforgivable!

Scrawf
Out of interest what would you (anyone, not just Druid) do/feel if i took you off, but came over to apologise and explain that i got it wrong. Mistake not immaturity. But that i'm sorry, but i can't pay for repairs as i've not any finances spare. Would i get a smack or just an accepting face?
Old 06-08-11, 06:16 PM   #20
Scrawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Out of interest what would you (anyone, not just Druid) do/feel if i took you off, but came over to apologise and explain that i got it wrong. Mistake not immaturity. But that i'm sorry, but i can't pay for repairs as i've not any finances spare. Would i get a smack or just an accepting face?
No mate not as far as I was concerned. I would be very pleased that you came and apologised. I would do the same.

The difficulty is that if everyone on a track days was trying to look after fellow track day riders and their machines this sort of thing wouldn't happen very often. That's the deal when you participate is it not? But I for one would be the first to apologise and I would graciously accept an apology and an offer to repair the damage.

If everyone understood this before going on track I think track days would be more enjoyable and there would be no need for 'Reclaim our Tracks' type track days.

Scrawf