SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-08, 02:32 AM   #1
monkey

Default Road bike doing trackdays-pre/pst trackday maintenance advise please

What do regular road bike trackday goers do before/after trackdays maintenance wise, excluding prep like taking mirrors off and taping things up?

Not on an SV I should add.
Old 25-04-08, 09:48 AM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Road bike doing trackdays-pre/pst trackday maintenance advise please

i dont think it would be all that much really unless the bike is needing/due something after or b4 the track day.
Old 25-04-08, 10:09 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: Road bike doing trackdays-pre/pst trackday maintenance advise please

It won't hurt to do an oil change.

Check your brakes too. You can cook your brake fluid, and this becomes even more likely during a track day.
Old 25-04-08, 12:22 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

Adjust the chain properly, check tyre pressures, coolant. Make sure you dont have any loose bolts or anything that might fall off. Steering head bearings dont have play, oil level correct etc.

Just make sure its all as it should be.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-08, 12:48 PM   #5
Grinch

Check the DB of you bike and see if the track has any restrictions.
Old 25-04-08, 12:52 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't do anything... Well, I do track prep, take off the nice plastics and fit a stickier front tyre, but I don't do any maintenance. If my bike's not working well enough to ride in the safe and predictable environment of a track, I won't ride it in the dubious and hostile environment of a road
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-08, 01:15 PM   #7
MiniMatt

+1 to Northy, give it a clean, check it over, if it's good enough for the road it's good enough for the track. I'd remove things where possible rather than just tape them over, numberplate, mirrors, indies etc. Take some spare levers or a fixit peg. Oh, and this last one kinda depends on your leathers and your seat, I used to tape over one of my bikes seat with duct tape as I personally found the bottom/seat interaction was too sticky and didn't allow for easy movement around the bike, but if you haven't got a problem here then there's no need for a solution.
Old 25-04-08, 02:20 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Check bike has wheels, engine and seat.
Old 25-04-08, 02:46 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Service it before rather than after if it's due one.

Clean it, they take pictures. I looked like I was on a courier delivery at silverstone

Last edited by jambo; 25-04-08 at 02:50 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-08, 03:40 PM   #10
rigor

We seem to be missing what seems to be the .org fashion for preparing your bike for a trackday!

Remove fairing, lights, and instruments....

it's a growing trend