SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-05, 03:21 PM   #1
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Recommend me a good...

Tyre pressure gague.

not a digital one tho... ive heard that they are rubbish.
Looking to get one this weekend so replies are appreciated
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-05, 03:26 PM   #2
Jabba

Default Re: Recommend me a good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
not a digital one tho... ive heard that they are rubbish.
From where did you hear this? They are far better and more accurate than other sorts.

Try the £9.99 one from Halfords
Old 29-01-05, 03:28 PM   #3
jonboy

Just for your info, Ride magazine gave the Halfords digital gauge (about a tenner I think) a big thumbs up and the Recommended Buy badge. All gauges are only accurate to approx 1psi unless you pay big money.

Old 29-01-05, 03:32 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I abandoned my digital one today. It said I had 73psi in my front tyre and would not turn off. so after it auto switched off I tried again and it said 30psi

kept putting in more air and it said 29. Looks like I need a new one

This one cost £5.63 + vat from cpc. looks like I will replace it with their slightly more expensive £5.84 one
Old 29-01-05, 03:37 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

OK... thanks guys.

Cant remember where but i've read a few places that the digi ones are about as acurate as the ones in the petrol stations.

Now you guys are gonna tell me thoase are the most accurate yeh?

And ride gave the halford jobby a recomended sticker too.... hmmmm.
I'm open minded enough to try em for sure.

Anyone else wanna add to the above please feel free, the more i know the happier i'll feel when i part with my cash.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 29-01-05, 03:39 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I abandoned my digital one today. It said I had 73psi in my front tyre and would not turn off. so after it auto switched off I tried again and it said 30psi

kept putting in more air and it said 29. Looks like I need a new one
This is my greatest worry... just believing a display. could this be caused by the batteries wearing down?
Or do the digi one have a finite lifespan?
Old 29-01-05, 03:41 PM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Cant remember where but i've read a few places that the digi ones are about as acurate as the ones in the petrol stations.
That's just completely wrong, and how rumours start. Digi-guages are often certified accurate to +/- 0.5psi. Some need to be re-zeroed occasionally by holding the guage lightly againt the tyre valve until some air passes over the end.

It is fair to say that the simple pencil guages are often more accurate than the dial sort.

You're right about petrol station one's being inaccurate, though. And you have to allow for the fact that the tyres will be warm because you've driven/riden there.
Old 29-01-05, 07:07 PM   #8
PoRk ChOp

I have got a Halfords 9.99 one, nice and easy to use and seems to be accurate enough
Old 29-01-05, 08:03 PM   #9
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
When I first got my footpump (with analogue standard dial) it went a bit crazy telling me I had around 60psi in the front tyre, then 30 etc. After giving it a few more pumps it's been fine ever since - weird huh?

Old 29-01-05, 08:29 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

have a look here in their "product tests".

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

There are tests for analogue and digital gauges. Don't know how much to trust their findings, but at least they've tried.

Analogue - good one was Draper 69924 for £8
Digital - Accutire seemd to do quite well, even their cheapest at £8, or a £11 version.

For bikes you need to consider access to the valve.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote