SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-08, 11:32 PM   #1
lazymanc

Default sv650s as first bike.

Hi, I've got my CBT next week and will be booking my DAS/Test immediately after.

After having a mate point out a few different middleweight bikes i've really taken a shine to the sv and pretty much have my heart set on buying a 2nd hand pointy in either black or silver.

I've been doing a bit of preemptive window shopping on bike trader / ebay and found a fair few examples, and i'm just after a bit of advice with regards to them... hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by linking to these sales, but I couldn't see anything on the stickys regarding this. Looking to spend around 2.5 - 3k.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=004
This is pretty much exactly what I want: black, fully faired, pillion seat, decent extras and fairly low mileage - only problem is its a good 180 miles from my house in South Manchester and i've no way of transporting it without my license.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...=&max_mileage=
This one looks really tidy, and is only round the corner from me. However, it seems a bit pricey for an 03? Also, there don't appear to be any rear indicators and the reg plate is tiny - is this road legal?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=
Good extras, only a couple of years old, but no lower fairing - how much am I looking at to add one? I would possibly go with a belly pan instead, it looks good with either IMO.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk..._mileage=10000
Looks like a really nice example, but £2800 for an 07? That seems very cheap - surely there's something wrong here?

Maybe one or two of the owners are members here?

BTW - I've had a look at Laws' bike and it's awesome, but I don't think i'd fully appreciate the effort that's gone into it with me being a n00b and all. Guildford is also a fair treck away!

Any help much appreciated, I look forward to taking part in this community for rides & whatnot
lazymanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 11:42 PM   #2
shifter

Default Re: sv650s as first bike...

I got an s.v as my first bike. It ticked all the boxes, user friendly, looks good, sounds good, is cheep to run and it's easy to work on. Also there is a huge choice of after market goodies available.
I'm on my second one now.
Hurry up and get one, I'm sure you wont regret it
Curvy's are better

Last edited by shifter; 11-04-08 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to say:
Old 11-04-08, 11:45 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

An SV as a first bike is a good choice in my opinion, easy to get on with after a ride or too, and will keep you entertained for a couple of years. Have fun shopping...
Old 11-04-08, 11:51 PM   #4
aadeyc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymanc View Post

Looks like a really nice example, but £2800 for an 07? That seems very cheap - surely there's something wrong here?
One reason for it being so cheap is that it's a car garage selling it and therefore might not really know what it's worth.
Old 12-04-08, 12:36 AM   #5
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadeyc73 View Post
One reason for it being so cheap is that it's a car garage selling it and therefore might not really know what it's worth.
Yup go have a look at it, if its all good try to kncl some money off it!

My first bike big bike is my SV its a really good bike, you won't go wrong with it, cheap, reabile, awesome fun to ride ect! There have been several K3 and above bike for sale, have alook through the for sale section there are a few for sale!

Good luck with the test, lets us know how you get on.
Old 12-04-08, 01:02 AM   #6
Malfunctioning-eddie

First things first - don't rush things - get your test out of the way and talk to your instructors before you part with any money - chances are they are either connected with a dealership or know dealers where you can get some test rides to see what suits you best - the sv is a very good choice, but try a few other bikes at the very least just to get a comparison - the yamaha fazer (up to 2003 - its not as pretty but it REALLY works), and honda hornet for example are in similar classes and both great rides.

but seeing as you asked some questions here's my take:

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=004
This is pretty much exactly what I want: black, fully faired, pillion seat, decent extras and fairly low mileage - only problem is its a good 180 miles from my house in South Manchester and i've no way of transporting it without my license.
email the seller and tell them you are prepared to bid for the bike on the condition that if you win, (s)he delivers it to your house in exchange for a pint, a curry,a train ticket home, and the cost of petrol to get to you on top of the asking price - no harm in asking - they might actually like the idea of one last blast - you're only askin after all

Quote:
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...=&max_mileage=
This one looks really tidy, and is only round the corner from me. However, it seems a bit pricey for an 03? Also, there don't appear to be any rear indicators and the reg plate is tiny - is this road legal?
can't comment on the plate or pipe, but price does seem a bit over the odds - UBG (usally a better realtime guide than parkers) puts the top price for that year at 2.8k - but to be honest I'd be a bit concerned by the extremely low mileage on a bike that old, not encouraged by it - its TOO low - makes it look like the bike was owned by the sort of person who keeps it stored for long periods just to be taken out the odd weekend and thrashed - this sort of treatment is much worse for wear an tear on an engine than a higher mileage bike thats been regularly riden but well maintained and serviced.

Quote:
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=
Good extras, only a couple of years old, but no lower fairing - how much am I looking at to add one? I would possibly go with a belly pan instead, it looks good with either IMO.
looks pretty good - as far as I know adding the lower front fairing will cost you about £300 for originals - belly pan (which are third party manu I think) around £100+

Quote:
almost definitely something wrong - although I suspect misprint on the published price rather that skullduggery - unless of course its a serious write-off thats been repaired - an HPI check will tell you that and cost just a few quid.
another possibility :
a look at the website shows its being sold by a a car dealer - its just possible it could have been part of a part ex and they dont have much of a clue what to do with it or what its worth - if that's the case BUY IT !

*** edit**** what the frick am I saying!!! I should be telling the lad to steer clear - while I run down to see the bank manager!!!!!

Last edited by Malfunctioning-eddie; 12-04-08 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 06:38 AM   #7
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadeyc73 View Post
I think it's either this, or hidden history (write off...or worse?!). Check it out VERY carefully with this one.
Old 12-04-08, 06:47 AM   #8
DanAbnormal

The SV at the car dealers says 'U' reg.
Old 12-04-08, 06:51 AM   #9
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
The SV at the car dealers says 'U' reg.
Saw that, perhaps it is just has a 'U' in the reg somewhere...haha
Old 12-04-08, 07:32 AM   #10
t18con

suzuki are offering 400 cashback at the moment on brand new ones,and both ECMs (restricted and non restricted)for free, i originally went in looking an ex demo/year old machine, but when i saw all the difference in year old/new i ended up buying new. (p1ssed at the minute, lovely day here and still the bike hasnt arrived at the dealership!!)