SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-14, 04:25 PM   #1
Jrmurray1108

Default SK8 pointy starter problem.

Evening All,

Had a good browse and can't seem to find (or may have missed) anything replicating my issue.

Basically when I try to start the bike I hear a relay click behind the seat but I don't get a turn from the starter motor. Initially it was intermittent and more frequently when hot but now it is almost all the time.

I thought it might be the smaller oem battery so replaced it with a YT12 but didn't resolve.

It used to help if I put it in gear and rocked it back and forth a little, if I did that and hit the starter button it would kick Into life but even that doesn't help now

I'm thinking starter motor might be knackered but wondered if any of you had any thoughts before I she'll out....

Thanks in advance

J

Last edited by Jrmurray1108; 26-06-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 26-06-14, 08:50 PM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: SK8 pointy starting issues

Starter motor can be tested. Mine went some time ago, and I tested it by wiring it directly to the battery. Can't remember if it was on or off the bike at the time.
Old 26-06-14, 09:05 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmurray1108 View Post
Evening All,

Had a good browse and can't seem to find (or may have missed) anything replicating my issue.

Basically when I try to start the bike I hear a relay click behind the seat but I don't get a turn from the starter motor. Initially it was intermittent and more frequently when hot but now it is almost all the time.

I thought it might be the smaller oem battery so replaced it with a YT12 but didn't resolve.

It used to help if I put it in gear and rocked it back and forth a little, if I did that and hit the starter button it would kick Into life but even that doesn't help now

I'm thinking starter motor might be knackered but wondered if any of you had any thoughts before I she'll out....

Thanks in advance

J
Have you installed the correct size battery & is it running the power it should be?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-14, 10:39 PM   #4
Jrmurray1108

Thanks for the reply's

Battery is correct, just upgraded gel 12Ah instead if 9, more powerful and a bit bigger.

Will try the starter off the bike as a last resort, was hoping there may be some quick elimination checks others might have used

Thanks again

J
Old 29-06-14, 01:28 PM   #5
Jrmurray1108

*Bump*

Any ideas anybody?

Read the codes today and the only one it came up with was c12. Crankshaft position sensor, not sure if this would stop the starter motor from turning though?

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay
Old 29-06-14, 01:50 PM   #6
Jrmurray1108

Just to add eliminated the following....

Clutch switch - works ok if I release and pull clutch whilst holding starter button in relay and fuel pump click on and off

Deffo good battery - checked voltage drop while cranking and all within tolerance

Side side switch - bypassed by previous owner

Cheers
Old 29-06-14, 09:27 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

If you suspect the starter motor then check the starter motor. Does it get voltage as it should? If yes, test the starter. If no, check all the electrics between the battery and the starter.

Incidentally, how did you test the battery voltage drop when cranking, with a bike that won't crank?
Old 30-06-14, 11:31 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: SK8 pointy starter problem.

If the crank isn't turning, the position sensor won't be able to read anything passing by, because it's not moving. So I suspect that's only an issue if it still occurs when the motor is turning.

Bridge the connections between the starter and the battery +ve, either directly on the relay or using a jump lead. If it won't turn over then, there is something wrong with the starter motor itself or something mechanical preventing it turning. It's worth checking around this point that the main earth strap from the -ve lead to the back of the engine is tight too.

If it turns fine when you provide direct connections, then something is going wrong with the starter button / lock out / relay setup.

Note: This is obvious but I'll say it anyway. When you apply positive voltage directly to the starter motor, it'll turn even if you're not in neutral / have the clutch in as you've just bypassed that entire setup. So don't leave it in first and launch it off the side stand onto you as you're kneeling beside it, you'll know the starter motor works but will almost certainly have other things to fix

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 30-06-14 at 11:32 AM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote